The journey from small guy to teenager...

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: The journey from small guy to teenager...

Post by weeksy »

So we're nearly back to the racing. I've missed the days out and paddock banter later to tell you the truth, i do enjoy it lots. Although i've been out riding, pitting at places etc, it's still not quite the same. So i'm really looking forward to it.

The Trek is getting a new spare rear wheel today. It's a Hope Pro5 in 157x12 and orange... why orange..well the front spare is a Pro4 in orange lol... so the wheels will match eachother. I'll probably still try and borrow the 27.5 off a mate, but this is a 29er as he's decided he's sticking 29/29.

This weekend though is the last bit of DH type practice... So the Trek lost a bolt last weekend... Which was a complete bummer... It was the mino-link and bolt... Luckily my mates Fuel mino is the same... The bolt arrived yesterday so both are now installed and it's ready to roll. It's BPW on Sunday and i'm also taking a couple of mates, along with the GT Fury, I've fitted the Marzocchi Bomber coil and a 550 spring into it for the day, so i'll be doing my first proper venture onto a DH bike in anger for quite a while. It's actually only my 2nd day on a DH bike as i did a race on his older model Fury about this time last year... but that one really is/was too small. The Fury is much closer to my size... Sadly, not as close as the Trek is, i'd LOVE a day on that. But i'm not getting a day on the Trek for sure.

I'll also mostly be on the Slayer with mates, i'm still debating the Enduro race on the 13th at BPW with Haibike Mini-Enduro series, i know the courses they're racing on and there's only really watts occouring that isn't on my 'OK' list... but whether i'll throw the £100 in on a day out for me is open to debate. I was slightly told off by Mrs Weeksy for not booking it as "you don't do anything for yourself" but that's not exactly true, i do plenty for myself.. but £100 to find out i'm a bit Meh compared to other racers, well i'm not sure it's great value.

We're then off to Pearce at Bucknell the weekend after, it's at Bucknell which he's not ridden yet (he'd broken a bone before last test day), but will be plenty of track-time before hand on the day before as well as race day, so he'll be up to a half average pace by then hopefully. Need to work out what we're doing in terms of sleeping/driving as it's getting a little colder again overnight now, so whether we fancy a weekend of tenting i don't know yet.. but if not, it's an extra £50-60 in fuel and 5+ hours of driving, now i've written it out, i actually think we'll be tenting it... LOL. Seems a little crazy to come back.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Shiny shiny wheel.
ImageIMG_20230901_135141 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Got a DH DHRII installed. Went up nice and easy. :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

I'd love to be able to corner like that, I have a real LAME factor when it comes to small berms and go full "mincing" mode.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:54 pm Shiny shiny wheel.

Valve and tyre decal issues, dude!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:13 pm

Valve and tyre decal issues, dude!
LOL stop it.
MingtheMerciless

Naughty Step for you Mr Weeksy and 100 lines:

“Tyre logos and valves must be correctly aligned”.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:45 pm

The day it ever happens it will be 100% accidental. Simple as that... in the big world... it's SOOOO far down the priority list.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:48 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:45 pm

The day it ever happens it will be 100% accidental. Simple as that... in the big world... it's SOOOO far down the priority list.
When James realises the importance of such things, he will dis-own you!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I will wait for the next Insta post - and then say “aren’t those valves and logos aligned “
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:40 am I will wait for the next Insta post - and then say “aren’t those valves and logos aligned “
I'm not even sure when the wheel will make it into the bike. But you could write the same about every insta post with our bikes in anyway.

Off out local cruise riding today, then BPW early doors tomorrow
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Whoops, the boy had a 'hugey' yesterday at BPW, was hitting Vanta and went in too hard/fast/hot on the 2nd jump.... got it a bit long/wrong and planted himself in the floor.

He's OK though and even though he had another interface with a rock strike on his ankle later in day, will still be back out today on the Privateer :)
MingtheMerciless

weeksy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:46 am Whoops, the boy had a 'hugey' yesterday at BPW, was hitting Vanta and went in too hard/fast/hot on the 2nd jump.... got it a bit long/wrong and planted himself in the floor.

He's OK though and even though he had another interface with a rock strike on his ankle later in day, will still be back out today on the Privateer :)
I hope Mrs Weeksy isn't reading this 😂. What happens at BPW stays at BPW.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

LOL i think she'd be more pissed about him hitting the Pro-Line of Vanta :D

It's all good... he told her last night as well :)
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:46 am Whoops, the boy had a 'hugey' yesterday at BPW, was hitting Vanta and went in too hard/fast/hot on the 2nd jump.... got it a bit long/wrong and planted himself in the floor.

That would not have happened if the logos and values were lined up ...
It's all to do with karma
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

lol fook off :)

This is Vanta
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I can't even imagine how the pro teams find time to prep all the bikes, the kit, load it, unload it, wash it, sort it etc, then the same again for next weekend.

Due to Silverstone yesterday i didn't get much done on MTB stuff yesterday
ImageIMG_20230904_115946 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

I did manage to wash, clean and sort the Session, that was then polished, finished, checked and lubed this morning by the lad.

There was also the Slayer that needed sorting, cleaning, lubing, checking etc after BPW on Sunday.

Lastly the GT Fury needed checking, sorting and the shock swapping for the Fox X2 as i fitted the Bomber in case i wanted to try it at BPW on Sunday, but i didn't bother as it was too darn hot, so i had a beer instead.

All the armour, riding kit, shoes, helmets are cleaned, ready and good. Spare wheels, tools, stands etc are in the van. Had a few incidentals this month but they all seem to add and stack up, just little things like tyre sealant, cleaning products, lubes, race/uplift entries, next thing you know you're £350 in the hole this month and you've not even left the house.

The Privateer was out for 8 hours with him yesterday, he's certainly putting in the hours on the bike, although i get the impression yesterday wasn't too much in the way of tech riding, just messing and being a boy really. He's still having lots of fun with it and it's holding up to the abuse of a jumpy/crazy teen pretty damn well. One of these days i'm going to sort my stuff out and spend a day somewhere on it with the pressures set to where i want. Will be interesting to see if he's with the team next year whether he decides to go 161 or sticks with the 141... or whether we think about if we do any upgrades on terms of suspension etc like a different fork maybe.

Couple of days of quiet as he goes back to school, then it's off to Shropshire for a weekend in the tent/field.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Race weekend.
ImageIMG_20230908_073355 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

The bike is prepped and ready to roll.

ImageIMG_20230908_073403 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

It's not a track either of us have ever been to before, but being a Pearce race you have a decent idea of what you're getting. Roots, a few jumps, some tech, some loam, some twists.... it's what they do and what they do well. He'll have all day Sat to practice along with an uplift, so he'll know the track by Sunday for race which will be 2 runs of racing and a bit more practice. It's always on the tricky side of results at a Pearce as they're well attended and plenty of racers who've done the tracks year after year, as well as being pretty darn fast :)

But we'll be ready..... well, once we put 3,000,000 things in the van anyway.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Need a few goats for that lawn!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:41 am Race weekend.
ImageIMG_20230908_073355 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

The bike is prepped and ready to roll.

ImageIMG_20230908_073403 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

It's not a track either of us have ever been to before, but being a Pearce race you have a decent idea of what you're getting. Roots, a few jumps, some tech, some loam, some twists.... it's what they do and what they do well. He'll have all day Sat to practice along with an uplift, so he'll know the track by Sunday for race which will be 2 runs of racing and a bit more practice. It's always on the tricky side of results at a Pearce as they're well attended and plenty of racers who've done the tracks year after year, as well as being pretty darn fast :)

But we'll be ready..... well, once we put 3,000,000 things in the van anyway.
Logos and valves aligned . It’s going to be a win