It's just a nail !!!

Anything you like about motorbikes
Taff

It's just a nail !!!

Post by Taff »

Not something I'd like to have just behind my calf just waiting to stab me :shock:

KungFooBob

Re: It's just a nail !!!

Post by KungFooBob »

It's not a nail, it's a very long, very pointy clevis pin :)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Why didn't they put it in the other way around?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:16 pm Why didn't they put it in the other way around?
S'what I was thinking! :crazy:
cheb

Post by cheb »

The bike's not that bad, it's still at shonker level.
Taff

Post by Taff »

cheb wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:21 pm The bike's not that bad, it's still at shonker level.
I was having new tyres fitted on Friday and this was sat outside waiting for the garage next door to MOT it, I have no idea if it passed :lol:
Skub

Post by Skub »

One careful owner.

But 10 complete arseholes. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Bike and owner need to be taken out and shot. What a mess.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'm rough but that's proper rough.

I might use a nail if it was the perfect size, but I'd drill it and use a split pin then chop the excess off, or I'd pop it in the lathe and machine a groove and use a circlip - or in fact you don't even need to machine a groove, just use one of those press on circlip type things than push on one way and hold - no idea what they're called.

Anyone that does that is a proper cowboy and it'll have horror jobs all over the rest of the bike.
Imagine what he does with the electrics :shock:
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Harry wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:23 am

Anyone that does that is a proper cowboy and it'll have horror jobs all over the rest of the bike.
Imagine what he does with the electrics :shock:
I doubt the electrics work- he’s used to main fuse to secure the passenger foot peg...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The exhaust on my old VFR fell off once, upon investigating why I learned that one of the previous owners had used a door striker plate as a hanger. :D

My FiL once repaired a hole in a fighter plane with a cut up Coke can...

You gotta go with what works. For a bit. :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

I used to have a Devil endurance 4-1 on my Z1. No baffle supplied or fitted. On long journeys/holidays I used to cut a coke can on half and cram it up the pipe to ease my bleeding ears. As I recall,it stayed in below 5k revs,then spat it up the road. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I remember Ben from VD turning up a bit late for a rideout as he had to sort out a loose exhaust on a white ZX7R iirc and fashioned a hanger from Meccano. All was good till a few hours later in the afternoon while tearing round some Essex roads in a big group and having been passed recently by said Ben came to a tightening right hand bend with a yellow line that was on the tarmac and disappeared off into the hedges.

Yellow line was from his kneeslider trying to hold the bike in the corner but to no avail. He did some front end damage and ripped off the front brake lever. Most would have limped home but Ben cracked on and finished the ride ,at speed, using the gears and rear brake only for slowing :D
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:43 pm I remember Ben from VD turning up a bit late for a rideout as he had to sort out a loose exhaust on a white ZX7R iirc and fashioned a hanger from Meccano. All was good till a few hours later in the afternoon while tearing round some Essex roads in a big group and having been passed recently by said Ben came to a tightening right hand bend with a yellow line that was on the tarmac and disappeared off into the hedges.

Yellow line was from his kneeslider trying to hold the bike in the corner but to no avail. He did some front end damage and ripped off the front brake lever. Most would have limped home but Ben cracked on and finished the ride ,at speed, using the gears and rear brake only for slowing :D
I rather thought he hadn't really grasped the idea of turning in late rather than taking racing lines in order to leave something in hand for tightening corners. That was on the course he did with me in about 2001 a year or so after the VD launched, when he was riding a rather ratty Kawa ZXR400.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:43 pm I remember Ben from VD turning up a bit late for a rideout as he had to sort out a loose exhaust on a white ZX7R iirc and fashioned a hanger from Meccano. All was good till a few hours later in the afternoon while tearing round some Essex roads in a big group and having been passed recently by said Ben came to a tightening right hand bend with a yellow line that was on the tarmac and disappeared off into the hedges.

He left a lot of red lines on the road when he had his (brief) trail of the Tomahawk tyres......

Spin - I don't remember Ben having a ZXR400..... There was only a couple of people who had them on the forum. Tbh that sounds more like my riding.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Istr Ben had a naked 400....Bandit grey import? Didn't he have the one with red valve covers?
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

I'm pretty sure it was a ZXR400. He'd just passed his test and it was his first big bike IIRC. I also seem to recall it didn't last long.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:31 pm Istr Ben had a naked 400....Bandit grey import? Didn't he have the one with red valve covers?
Yup, that's right. I had a feeling his first bike was a 400, but couldn't remember which one.
non quod, sed quomodo
CarlBarth

Post by CarlBarth »

Ben had a 400 bandit, remember selling him some bits off one I had broken.