ULEZ [for motorcycles]

Anything you like about motorbikes
slowhare

ULEZ [for motorcycles]

Post by slowhare »

Did you know you don’t have to buy an antique (or brand new euro 3 compliant) to qualify for ULEZ exemption.

Your ‘99 FireBlade, Gixer, Busa or ZZR likely emits tiny levels of NOx & particulates but as they were never a factor it’s unlikely the manufacturers even specified the levels. I know this to be the case with Kawasaki (as i own one & have made enquiries).

There is, however a solution, which i’ve noticed has escaped all the youtube mc contributors out there who are flogging the antique option. It’s called an Exemption Certificate.

Originally there was only one garage in east London equipped to issue one, but now there are five, and they’re all affiliated to TfL meaning on passing the test, your details are automatically entered onto the TfL database & you will not be charged for entering the ULEZ zone. The downside is it costs about £175, but there is an offer for MAG members of a ‘no pass, no fee’ agreement. MAG membership only costs £30 a year. If you’re in & out of the city regularly the test would pay for itself in a week.

Interestingly there is a log of all the bikes that have passed, and you might be surprised at some of those that are exempt: Busas, Blackbirds, Goldwings etc. However, blanket exemptions don’t exist: just because a particular Honda has passed, doesn’t exempt all that model; exemptions are only made on an individual basis.

If i was still on the daily commute I’d go for it, i may even go for it anyway.

Test centre access: https://www.ulezbiketest.co.uk

Approved centres for motorcycle emissions testing

Garfield Motor Company Emissions Testing Centre
Garfield Road
Ponders End
Enfield
EN3 4RP

Riverbank Motorcycles Ltd
Unit 12, Riverbank Business Park
Dye House Lane, Bow
London E3 2TB

ULEZ Testing UK Ltd
5 Bowman`s Trading Estate
Bessemer Drive
Stevenage
SG1 2DL

The Test Centre
Edward Place
Deptford
London
SE8 5HD

Essex & East London Motorcycle ULEZ Testing Centre
Unit 5, Pentowan Farm
Church Road
Noak Hill
Romford, Essex
RM4 1LD
Tigs

Re: ULEZ [for motorcycles]

Post by Tigs »

if you have a Honda you can contact them direct and they will give you the information to show if your bike is compliant for free.
It is quite simple.

I think other motorcycles are similar.

There are a few lists on line to check your model against.
slowhare

Post by slowhare »

Tigs wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:20 pm if you have a Honda you can contact them direct and they will give you the information to show if your bike is compliant for free.
It is quite simple.

I think other motorcycles are similar.

There are a few lists on line to check your model against.
Not quite, because as stated, most early models were never specified for NOx or particulates so you won’t get any info, and it wouldn’t help anyway as individual bikes require independent certification.

I’ll post a link of contact details for all manufacturers to help those should they wish to follow Tigs very useful advice.
slowhare

Post by slowhare »

Manufacturers contact list: contact numbers, email, charges (yes, a few will charge upwards to £150)

https://wiki.mag-uk.org/images/f/fd/How ... mption.pdf

… but regardless, you will still need to have your own vehicle tested.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

My VFR wasn't compliant (with the original ULEZ) because TfL in their wisdom chose a Registration date as a cut off, and didn't look at models that might have been compliant before then. AFAIK it was a Euro3 that was needed, and after the TfL date all new ones had to be compliant. I strongly suspected my VFR was anyway, and a quick exchange with Honda (who didn't charge) and I had the information that TfL accepted. So then it was compliant, and I had the evidence from TfL to prove it.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
slowhare

Post by slowhare »

yh, just been looking at the scrappage thread.

There’s some confusion over the manufacturer’s specs regarding ULEZ: even if they tell you, say in your case, your VFR was made at point with levels below those ruled by TfL, you would still require it to be individually tested as it’s not a blanket cover for all bikes of the same model.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Yamaha do not hold details of NOx figures for early Fazer 600's*. A test is the only way to attempt to gain exemption.

*so my mate with an early Fazer informed me.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

My 95 CBR 900 went through Riverbank about 18 months ago
(may have been earlier) and passed with flying colours- NOX level well within limits
slowhare

Post by slowhare »

asmethurst99 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:04 pm My 95 CBR 900 went through Riverbank about 18 months ago
(may have been earlier) and passed with flying colours- NOX level well within limits
Nice one 👍

I think the reality is, all these bikes produce negligible levels of NOx & particulates & should never have been legislated against in the first place, not to mention motorcycle usage eases congestion, but we’re made to jump through a series of hoops anyway. Even fatboy Harleys pass this euro3 test with flying colours. Won’t say too much about the scheme, but i don’t believe it has anything to do with environmental issues and everything to do with revenue collection.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

slowhare wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:27 pm There’s some confusion over the manufacturer’s specs regarding ULEZ: even if they tell you, say in your case, your VFR was made at point with levels below those ruled by TfL, you would still require it to be individually tested as it’s not a blanket cover for all bikes of the same model.
No, but I had a statement from Honda UK that a machine with frame no xxxxxx, and engine no ÿyyyyyy was compliant, and a V5 to say that 800VFR reg XYZ xxxxY had those frame and engine numbers. TfL accepted that, and THAT bike is ULEZ compliant with no testing needed.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
slowhare

Post by slowhare »

well that IS interesting, as you could’ve done any number of mods since it left the factory. First i’ve heard of it.
Honda appear to be the most helpful in this matter. Post 03 Hondas incur no extra fees. That link i provided includes a form specific to Hondas btw.

So you’re on the TfL database and certified?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

The bike is, now sold.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

No, but I had a statement from Honda UK that a machine with frame no xxxxxx, and engine no ÿyyyyyy was compliant, and a V5 to say that 800VFR reg XYZ xxxxY had those frame and engine numbers. TfL accepted that, and THAT bike is ULEZ compliant with no testing needed.
Did the same for my 2006 GS1200 - got data sheet from BMW, submit form etc to TFL & hey presto got ULEZ exception from TFL so there is no need for individual testing but you do need data sheet for your bikes frame & engine no.

Could do same for my Guzzi but they wanted £100 for the data sheet, so not bothered yet - might do it before I sell it I suppose.

Did think it would be possible to get a vehicle on a private plate that passed on data sheet & then transfer the plate to a non compliant vehicle but I guess TFL would be wise to that 🤔
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

My old Mercedes wasnt ULEZ exempt according to TFL, but I knew it was euro6. I contacted Mercedes and they said yes it is, we'll send you a certificate for free to prove it and you can submit it to TFL using their form, which I did and within a month it showed up as not subject to the charge. I didn't have to pay for anyone else to do anything TFl just accepted the manufactureres CoC. As I understand it, a bike is no different.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Just for fun I checked the K12 and its ulez compliant. However it shows up as a car and is subject to congestion charge.
Tigs

Post by Tigs »

slowhare wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:16 pm well that IS interesting, as you could’ve done any number of mods since it left the factory. First i’ve heard of it.
Honda appear to be the most helpful in this matter. Post 03 Hondas incur no extra fees. That link i provided includes a form specific to Hondas btw.

But you could go to a tester - and get the bike tested - and shown as compliant and register it... then mod it so it was non-compliant.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

The mighty 1.9L Harley is fully ULEZ compliant, but it'd be a cold cold day in hell before I ever thought of stepping foot inside London again
Horse

Post by Horse »

Re 'no pass, no fee' and lists, etc.

Who was asking "what have MAG & BMF ever done for us?" ... ?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
slowhare

Post by slowhare »

Tigs wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:20 am
slowhare wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:16 pm well that IS interesting, as you could’ve done any number of mods since it left the factory. First i’ve heard of it.

But you could go to a tester - and get the bike tested - and shown as compliant and register it... then mod it so it was non-compliant.
That’s true. Much like going to get it MOT’d with a standard sized number plate, getting it stamped, then switching it for a more aesthetically pleasing version. 😉
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Dickyboy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:44 pm
Did the same for my 2006 GS1200 - got data sheet from BMW, submit form etc to TFL & hey presto got ULEZ exception from TFL so there is no need for individual testing but you do need data sheet for your bikes frame & engine no.
Yup - did the same for my 2003 Rockster(s).

I'm not sure when BMW started including emissions testing (and recording) in their manufacturing processes - but I think it probably dates back to when they first fitted catalytic converters to the bikes, which I believe would be the first "oil-heads", so that's 1993. (I might be wrong - the K-series might have had cats too). Pretty sure they were the first to fit catalytic converters.
non quod, sed quomodo