Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Greenman

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Greenman »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:39 pm Our manager organising a "random" drugs n alcohol test for the day shift this morning but the spineless *unt hadn't even got the testicular fortitude to show up today, instead palming the responsibility off onto one of his colleagues.
I'd be fucked.

He was probably at spearmint rhino doing lines off some hookers thighs!
Felix

Post by Felix »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:39 pm Our manager organising a "random" drugs n alcohol test for the day shift this morning but the spineless *unt hadn't even got the testicular fortitude to show up today, instead palming the responsibility off onto one of his colleagues.
Apparently it was a thing on the cash vans when i worked for Group4. Never tested once in 13 years not heard of any testing.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Felix wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:02 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:39 pm "random"
Apparently it was a thing on the cash vans when i worked for Group4. Never tested once in 13 years not heard of any testing.
That could be due to them being truly random.

Or just a scare tactic.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
636mick

Post by 636mick »

We have random drink & drugs testing. In 18 years I know of just 1 actual random visit when 2 staff were stood down for positive drug tests. They both welcomed the few days off as both were taking prescribed drugs that their manager was aware of.
Bit pointless as we were told they were coming beforehand, maybe they need to google random!!
Mick
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

The life of a railwayman eh?
As a contractor who changes roles frequently, the screening company in Southwark must have more of my piss than the local water company!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Meh. I'm constantly being told that random drug testing can be done at any time. It was the same when I joined nigh-on 27 years ago and I've never seen anybody be pulled up on one yet.

These days if you tested positive I doubt you'd be sacked, they'd offer you all the support for your addiction, a stay at a nice rehab clinic and six-months paid leave. In fact, fuck it...pass me the charlie.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

My last place used to do random drug (and drink I think) testing. For the tooley goons and drivers etc, not the pukka chaps with the good degrees, so it was never an issue for me.

Anyway one depot manager was sure one of his drivers was regularly on something so he arranged random testing for him and a few others so it didn't look like he was picking on one individual.

The key suspect came up clean but the manager's best driver tested positive for cannabis. He admitted he has smoked some at the weekend but this was on a Thursday from memory.

None the less company policy was gross misconduct and out they go and that's what happened.

Another employee was clearly a cocaine user and would show up at work hanging after what must have been big nights out. But he was white collar and had a first from Balliol so the drug use was overlooked.
Potter

Post by Potter »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:19 pm My last place used to do random drug (and drink I think) testing. For the tooley goons and drivers etc, not the pukka chaps with the good degrees, so it was never an issue for me.

Anyway one depot manager was sure one of his drivers was regularly on something so he arranged random testing for him and a few others so it didn't look like he was picking on one individual.

The key suspect came up clean but the manager's best driver tested positive for cannabis. He admitted he has smoked some at the weekend but this was on a Thursday from memory.

None the less company policy was gross misconduct and out they go and that's what happened.

Another employee was clearly a cocaine user and would show up at work hanging after what must have been big nights out. But he was white collar and had a first from Balliol so the drug use was overlooked.
I found exactly the opposite, I don't know about van drivers but good technicians and engineers on the tools were hard to find, so even if they tested positive all they'd get is a ticking off and moved to somewhere else with a warning not to do it again. They'd get away with all sorts because they can't be replaced easily.

But the office middle management with their degrees and medium priced saloon cars were ten a penny and you could sack one and fill the space easily. They'd rarely get tested because their jobs weren't demanding enough to need to be sober, that's why the lads on the tools also get paid more than most of the office goons as well :lol:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I got Drugs and Alcohol tested about a month before I started my first "real" job at Rolls-Royce. Incidentally, the only time I've ever been tested in my life, I've managed to avoid doing anything really important since. :thumbup:

I did say to the guy "this just proves I'm not pissed now" to which he chuckled and said "yeah it's pretty pointless" :lol:

Apparently the union (successfully) fought to not have cannabis on the test. I'd be curious to know that their arguments were.
dern

Post by dern »

I was parked in the van in a loading bay in Stratford, London yesterday loading up my daughter's stuff so I could move her to a new place. We were there half an hour and made about ten trips to the van so clearly loading. There were three vans doing the same thing. Came back for the final time to find a parking fine of £120. I've appealed but what a prick of a parking attendant.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Working for an FAA approved aerospace company everyone was liable to random drug testing. Never tested me, not that I worried about because I don't do drugs.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

dern wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:19 pm I was parked in the van in a loading bay in Stratford, London yesterday loading up my daughter's stuff so I could move her to a new place. We were there half an hour and made about ten trips to the van so clearly loading. There were three vans doing the same thing. Came back for the final time to find a parking fine of £120. I've appealed but what a prick of a parking attendant.
Years ago I tried finding out if I could use a loading bay to collect stuff from a shop, I don't remember the details but there were several gotchas to catch people out.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:19 pm My last place used to do random drug (and drink I think) testing. For the tooley goons and drivers etc, not the pukka chaps with the good degrees, so it was never an issue for me.

When I was on the buses you could get tested, one of the managers had parachuted his nephew into a management position and he had a gay thing going on with one of the drivers. When the drug testers arrived, batty driver literally disappeared, like in the building then sent on some unspecified errand, but another driver and I, both known to be fans of E back in the day were both tested. You could see the disappointment on the nephew's face when it came back clean, i suggested he take a test and he immediately got flustered and defensive.

Since going back to trucks I've bever been tested, if you can vaguely point the wagin in the right direction, you're fine
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Turns out that the Ducati dealer in the UK can't do the CoC for the Monster :roll: :roll: :roll:

FFS

But, at least the guy there gave me more info on how to maybe get help from Ducati Italy for a change. I've been met will a total lack of help or communication from them and the French dealers here each time I've tried previously. Here's hoping that this time things might go better :crazy:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Train strikes.
Twats.

I've got to arrange alternative transport now.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Noggin wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:49 am Turns out that the Ducati dealer in the UK can't do the CoC for the Monster :roll: :roll: :roll:

FFS

But, at least the guy there gave me more info on how to maybe get help from Ducati Italy for a change. I've been met will a total lack of help or communication from them and the French dealers here each time I've tried previously. Here's hoping that this time things might go better :crazy:
I had work done on my KTM here at the dealership. Not because I wanted the dealership to work on the bike, but because I wanted to build a relationship with them after UK dealer were no help with CoC. My CoC arrived at my local dealer last week.!! (€150 !!!!!!)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Jody wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:17 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:49 am Turns out that the Ducati dealer in the UK can't do the CoC for the Monster :roll: :roll: :roll:

FFS

I had work done on my KTM here at the dealership. Not because I wanted the dealership to work on the bike, but because I wanted to build a relationship with them after UK dealer were no help with CoC. My CoC arrived at my local dealer last week.!! (€150 !!!!!!)
Downside is that (when I last looked) locally the nearest dealer is the other side of Annecy. They were particularly unhelpful when I contacted them by phone and email :(

I'm planning to ask some friend in Grenoble if they know a more friendly one over there. At least I could stay the night for each visit!

The Ducati process seems particularly drawn out - visit dealer with bike for it to be checked; wait for response from Ducati Italy; back to dealer with bike; hope that all goes well so that Italy will send a CoC!!

But, gonna have to do that - unless I can actually speak to someone at DREAL (VOSA) and circumvent the need for a CoC with a check at DREAL instead (not sure that's even possible!)

Believe me, had anyone been remotely positive/helpful, I'd have the CoC by now!! But I have tried three dealers and gave up!

Have had a reply from Italy and they just say go to the dealer :roll:

So, will try and find one near Grenoble, not least so my mate can come with me to be a male 'in charge' for the poor little woman (since the French are remarkably more helpful to men than women in a lot of situations!!!) :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:30 pm ... so my mate can come with me to be a male 'in charge' for the poor little woman (since the French are remarkably more helpful to men than women in a lot of situations!!!) :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Do the French have a word for 'chauvinistic'? :D ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:53 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:30 pm ... so my mate can come with me to be a male 'in charge' for the poor little woman (since the French are remarkably more helpful to men than women in a lot of situations!!!) :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Do the French have a word for 'chauvinistic'? :D ;)
Yes, I think its "french" :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, I'm less pissy about it now than 30 years ago when faced with the same attitudes in the uk. If I need to take a male friend with me to get stuff done, that's what I'll do! LOL
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Seeing the first 'Book your Christmas party here!' poster of this year.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!