Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by gremlin »

Pirahna wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:38 pm
gremlin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:59 pm Downloaded WhatsApp on my 80 year-old mum's phone the other week and gave her a lesson on how to use it.

Fuck me, she's bloody video calling me every day now. :thumbdown:

;)

Coz she's almost 100% mutton, it's a revelation as she can lip read on the call as well. :thumbup:
Can you actually see her or just the top of her head?
Genuine lol, as yes, so far just the top of the head.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Buses.

The 4am didn't turn up, then the 4:15am didn't come so i had enough and booked an uber and just as the uber arrived the bus turned up.

Wasted a precious hour and a half of my raving night waiting for buses - foolish!... :lol:

Show me the Bacon!
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Greenman wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:32 am Buses.

The 4am didn't turn up, then the 4:15am didn't come so i had enough and booked an uber and just as the uber arrived the bus turned up.

Wasted a precious hour and a half of my raving night waiting for buses - foolish!... :lol:

Show me the Bacon!
I took a bus about a year ago in London as it appeared more convenient than The Tube.

Initially I thought it might be a fun experience, like something on a Carry On film. Within 30 seconds however I realised the bus was not efficient and nor frequently used by life's winners or those free from mental health problems. :(
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:10 am
Greenman wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:32 am Buses.

Show me the Bacon!
I took a bus about a year ago in London as it appeared more convenient than The Tube.

Initially I thought it might be a fun experience, like something on a Carry On film. Within 30 seconds however I realised the bus was not efficient and nor frequently used by life's winners or those free from mental health problems. :(
You should have tried a night bus. :shock:

(I assumed your bus wasn't as the Tube was running but it looks like some run at night at weekends. They could be fun).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I plan to get a bus today :? I am going to walk into town but it's too far to walk back. I remind myself of my Nan more and more every day - which reminds me not to forget my handkerchief. In my experience the number 1 bus has more nutters on it than the number 5 which is odd as the number 5 stops at the mental hospital.
Lockdown refugee
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:55 pm F'ing emmets!
No less than 3 local forecourts are dry of diesel at the moment. It is Friday pm innit, and all those huuuge 4x4s are filling up for the great trek back to Brum/Manchester/wherever. All main roads were rammed earlier today, with the M5 southbound clogged with the next installment.
Oh how we do love holidaymakers down in Cornwall!
So you live in a tourist destination and complain there are tourists?
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Along with everything else, the road network in this country is no longer fit for purpose. We've got road works, traffic lights and road closures everywhere, but ultimately nothing really improves. It's a bloody nightmare in the car.

Why on earth they don't make it easier for folk to get a bike licence I'll never know.

There's a lot wrong for sure. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

weeksy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:37 am
No less than 3 local forecourts are dry of diesel at the moment. It is Friday pm innit, and all those huuuge 4x4s are filling up for the great trek back to Brum/Manchester/wherever. All main roads were rammed earlier today, with the M5 southbound clogged with the next installment.
I have a mate who is originally from Cornwall and does a lovely impression of his fellow Cornishmen in his thick West Country burr:

"Bloody tourists coming down here, blocking the roads, causing traffic mayhem, parking everywhere, making our lives a misery...
What's that, m'dear? Two creams teas? That'll be £18.95 and can I interest you in some fudge for just £9.99?"

As you can tell, he's quite dismissive of what he calls the 'Kernow mob' and their calls for independence. :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

gremlin wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:40 am
I have a mate who is originally from Cornwall and does a lovely impression of his fellow Cornishmen in his thick West Country burr:

"Bloody tourists coming down here, blocking the roads, causing traffic mayhem, parking everywhere, making our lives a misery...
What's that, m'dear? Two creams teas? That'll be £18.95 and can I interest you in some fudge for just £9.99?"

As you can tell, he's quite dismissive of what he calls the 'Kernow mob' and their calls for independence. :lol:
They should try visiting Kent in tourist season, same problems re congestion,parking and house prices sky high from second homes in coastal towns.

Is there any other region in the UK where they have a derogatory term for visitors ?

The last time we were in Cornwall, the resentment and disdain was pretty off putting.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Gregor wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:50 am
Is there any other region in the UK where they have a derogatory term for visitors ?

The last time we were in Cornwall, the resentment and disdain was pretty off putting.
That probably was from the wealthy boomers that have retired down there and bought up the houses that the second homers haven't. :lol:
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Welsh-speakers probably do, just that the rest of us have no idea what it is.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:55 am
The Welsh-speakers probably do, just that the rest of us have no idea what it is.
Walked into a shop in mid-Wales where a couple of old biddies were chatting happily in English. They looked at us and switched to Welsh. Quite funny really, I'm half Evans and the wife's half Jones. :lol:

Company I worked for shifted from the NE to North Wales and several senior managers signed up for Welsh classes. Never heard it spoken in that area. They even prefer football to rugby. :D
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:10 am
Horse wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:55 am
Walked into a shop in mid-Wales where a couple of old biddies were chatting happily in English. They looked at us and switched to Welsh. Quite funny really, I'm half Evans and the wife's half Jones. :lol:
A mate went to meet GF's family, Sunday tea. Granny was there too, she spend the whole afternoon muttering in Welsh.

As mate was leaving, he turned at the door and said "It's been a pleasure meeting you" - in fluent Welsh.

She'd been saying he wasn't good enough, etc. Don't know whether she was invited to the wedding.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Had a similar thing with a meeting with IBM in Brussels. The French speaking Belgians kept chuntering to each other in rapid French, in a not very complimentary fashion, about how we were the little guys and must accept their TS&Cs and couldn't possibly insist on our own contractual terms.

At the end, my English colleague who had lived in Brussels for umpteen years but hadn't let on said, in perfect (Belgian) French. 'You do know that not all English people are monoglots don't you?' :lol: (He could probably have done the same in Dutch too).
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

gremlin wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:40 am

Cornish 'independence' is a joke, but the current situation is not funny at all.

Governments of all flavours are pretty well dominated by big city thinking. It is all about London and to a lesser extent Birmingham and Manchester. All rural areas get the shitty end of the stick, and the further away you are the shittier it is. Add in a pandemic, lots of social media exposure, and we get burried every summer by visitors without the infrastructure to cope. In summer it can take an hour or more for an ambulance under blue lights to get to hospital, never mind the wait for it to arrive and than the handover delay because the hospital is full. Can you wonder that most of the Cornish who are not tied to hospitality get a bit short with visitors?

Add in the buy to let AirBNBs, and the 2nd homes and we have a serious housing problem. The village where I live has multiple £1M new builds available, but the chance of them being bought by a local is miniscule. Big housebuilders plaster the place with horrible little boxes, but very few end up housing real locals, some of the developers market their estates in Surrey rather than Cornwall.

I don't have a solution, but we do have a problem, so don't expect every Cornishman to welcome you with open arms when you turn up in your massive Chelsea Tractor, park in stupid places, and expect us fawn over your every whim. If you try to fit in you will have a better chance, but moaning because you have to walk 400 yards to the beach is not going to win you any favours.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Without tourism, there would be minimal income. So the locals wouldn't be able to afford the [empty] housing.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:00 am Without tourism, there would be minimal income. So the locals wouldn't be able to afford the [empty] housing.
Well, the house prices would crash as the second home owners sold their empty places, so you never know!!

I'm 50/50 in that I do love tourists because that's what makes the two seasons here fun.

But some of them are absolute sodding teddy bears and shouldn't be allowed to leave their village, let alone have a passport - and that isn't limited to Brits! Although as an ex Brit, fuckwit Brit tourists are far more embarrassing :roll:

However, I do so love the interseasons too because there is no one up here!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

IMG_0132.jpeg
IMG_0132.jpeg (345.81 KiB) Viewed 393 times
Horse Flies. Evil bastards. This one was on gate, just waiting to pounce on a walker.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Skub

Post by Skub »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:19 pm IMG_0132.jpeg

Horse Flies. Evil bastards. This one was on gate, just waiting to pounce on a walker.
I trust you did stwike it wuffly to the gwound.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:00 pm
Horse wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:00 am Without tourism, there would be minimal income. So the locals wouldn't be able to afford the [empty] housing.
Well, the house prices would crash as the second home owners sold their empty places
Yup, then the absentee landlords would buy then rent out. Almost full circle :)

We've just returned from a couple of weeks down there*. Apart from the scenery and 'seaside' aspects, it doesn't have a lot in its favour - depending on what is important to you, and you want.

House prices have been dropping for some time, as many covid escapee comeovers have faced reality that a week summer holiday doesn't give a true indication of living there all year round.

* mainly visiting friends and rellies. Some content and happy, some not.