Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

V2G has been a plan for donkeys as your man says. Already in action in many countries.

Many people pair it with their own local generating (e.g. roof mounted solar).

It's true that it doesn't generate any extra power, it smoothes out the grid hence requiring less power overall because of reduced waste/redundancy. This requirement has been recognised for decades hence places like the electric mountain. Its not a democrat ploy to steal the groceries from your fridge :lol:

Once again the US is a few years behind :lol:
Horse

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Horse »

Thanks, Daz. I realised after posting that V2I is, of course, part of CAV ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:20 pm V2G has been a plan for donkeys as your man says. Already in action in many countries.

Many people pair it with their own local generating (e.g. roof mounted solar).

It's true that it doesn't generate any extra power, it smoothes out the grid hence requiring less power overall because of reduced waste/redundancy. This requirement has been recognised for decades hence places like the electric mountain. Its not a democrat ploy to steal the groceries from your fridge :lol:

Once again the US is a few years behind :lol:
So it's just fine that I pay $10 to charge my EV, they pay $1 to drain the battery & then I have to pay ANOTHER $10 to charge it again? They can fuck right off.
Incidentally, they also pay far less for MY excess solar power than I have to pay to use theirs.
We already have the issue that when we have black outs from lack of generating capacity the fuckers shut off everyone's solar too.

If they're using my solar to support the grid then WE should be able to set the rate, & ditto for draining my EV batteries*.

A FEW years behind? Cellphone service here is about 20 years behind Europe.

*Arizona came up with a plan to tax solar owners as independent businesses, that idea went nowhere fast.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You don't have to do anything, so far as I can work out from that mess of a website there's no mention of the prices that will be paid, just that new cars might have to be capable of supporting this function.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:50 pm You don't have to do anything, so far as I can work out from that mess of a website there's no mention of the prices that will be paid, just that new cars might have to be capable of supporting this function.
The prices are in everyones power contracts, We pay X for incoming sparks, they pay X for outgoing sparks to support the grid designed to support half the current population.

Of course there is an alternative... stop taking power plants offline FFS:
https://dailycaller.com/2023/08/10/cali ... blackouts/
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:02 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:50 pm You don't have to do anything, so far as I can work out from that mess of a website there's no mention of the prices that will be paid, just that new cars might have to be capable of supporting this function.
The prices are in everyones power contracts, We pay X for incoming sparks, they pay X for outgoing sparks to support the grid designed to support half the current population
If others allow their vehicles to be part of the grid, that could save you as the network costs would be reduced from if there was the need to fund and build new infrastructure.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:02 pm
The prices are in everyones power contracts, We pay X for incoming sparks, they pay X for outgoing sparks to support the grid designed to support half the current population.

Of course there is an alternative... stop taking power plants offline FFS:
https://dailycaller.com/2023/08/10/cali ... blackouts/
They can't force you to connect your car so they must make it worthwhile, they will pay X to drain your battery at peak time and X/2 to recharge it in the middle of the night. Otherwise it won't work.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:35 pm If others allow their vehicles to be part of the grid, that could save you as the network costs would be reduced from if there was the need to fund and build new infrastructure.
That ain't gonna fly, we're already short of capacity & have to buy sparks from other States. Given the mandate of "no new gasoline powered* cars after *whenever* we're going to need something like 10x the capacity we have now

*also: No gas generators under 26hp, no NG water heaters or furnaces, no gas powered yard equipment & no NG stoves etc. The future is mandated to be 100% electric...The sooner some fucker sets off a EMP & wakes the woke the better.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mussels wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:39 pm They can't force you to connect your car so they must make it worthwhile, they will pay X to drain your battery at peak time and X/2 to recharge it in the middle of the night. Otherwise it won't work.
When did the Govt ever mandate something that worked?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

The only downside I see to an EMP is that we won't be able to go online & say "I fucking told you!"
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mussels wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:39 pm They can't force you to connect your car so they must make it worthwhile, they will pay X to drain your battery at peak time and X/2 to recharge it in the middle of the night. Otherwise it won't work.
We've been mandated to be 100% solar/wind. Solar doesn't work at night, the wind doesn't blow here at night & current battery capacity is apparently somewhere in the region of 5600 Mw.. that's enough for 10% of the State population... some of the time... & before you add in all the other mandates that govern yardwork, driving, cooking, heating the home/business etc.
It doesn't appear they've thought this through... at all.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:52 pm The only downside I see to an EMP is that we won't be able to go online & say "I fucking told you!"

Go on then - tell us. What’s an EMP?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

An electro magnetic pulse iirc from my army days. You'll probably get one by exploding a nuke high in the sky or even low space.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Yes, I googled that too, but couldn’t see why ZRX brought it into this discussion? That’s why I thought it must stand for something else.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

It can't come soon enough...
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Should we ban EV's? (asked by the author, not me)

https://climatechangedispatch.com/blown ... batteries/

In related news.. I just saw something that said not to mow your lawn with an electric mower when it's wet.. but the author appears unaware that you're not supposed to mow your lawn when the grass is wet anyway.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Don't panic, it's just Darwin in action.

If you fill petrol tanks with a fag in your mouth you are taking a chance.
If you charge a lithium battery with any old charger that comes to hand you are taking a chance.

The unfortunate thing is that Darwin doesn't work every time.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

Have you never made a mistake or taken a chance then CJ ? 🤔
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Treadeager wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:03 pm Have you never made a mistake or taken a chance then CJ ? 🤔
I take lots of chances and I have made many mistakes, but I try not to make them doing stuff that has potentially lethal consequences.
I fill my car with petrol, but I don't smoke while doing it.
I recharge my lithium batteries, but only with a specific charger made for those batteries.
Neither precaution is particularly difficult or onerous.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:15 pm
Treadeager wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:03 pm Have you never made a mistake or taken a chance then CJ ? 🤔
I take lots of chances and I have made many mistakes, but I try not to make them doing stuff that has potentially lethal consequences.
I fill my car with petrol, but I don't smoke while doing it.
I recharge my lithium batteries, but only with a specific charger made for those batteries.
Neither precaution is particularly difficult or onerous.
Many years ago in a remote Spanish petrol station, the lad filled the bikes with a fag in his gob.
We watched from about 50 yards away :D