The journey from small guy to teenager...

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: The journey from small guy to teenager...

Post by weeksy »

Still waiting for the Session to arrive, but hopeful it'll be this week.

Got a new front tyre on the way to replace the slightly weird choice that comes on the Session, well, half weird. It's a Bontager obviously but is a G5 Team issue which is wired. Thoughts are they can go up tubeless but it's not described as a tubeless tyre, however is 1500gr a piece which means it'll be replaced and the GE5 will be sold or binned. I've also got a new wheel on loan from my LBS that i need to collect in a 157 and 27.5 so that'll be used for some back to back testing. The plan for testing depends upon when the bike arrives. If it gets here before the weekend i think we'll be hitting Pontypool on Sat... If he's not here in time, then i may go to collect it on Sat morning with the boy and then head there or FoD depending on the weather.
The boy is certainly under no pressure to get racing it, but i do know he'll want to get some time in on it to enjoy himself.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Tirpwentys with the boy today.

Debated whether we should drive up and collect the Session but we waited for it to be delivered on Tues due to weather.

My plans went south as we were being uplifted by a mate, but a third teen turned up so van was full.

I did 4 laps pedalling on road back to the top, it's not the nicest climb ever. Not ridden there before and some bits were kinda steep! Enjoyed it though
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Bit of free time today and with Glencoe getting closer it was time to give the bike a full strip down. Shock out, all linkages, bearings, spacers etc cleaned, greased, checked. Front wheel Hope Pro4 bearings had covers off and fed a little grease, they were a little dry.
Rear wheel is a bit creaky so needs some spokes tensioning, so currently the spare is in the bike while I drop that at LBS so he can do it right. I should really buy a spike tension meter so the boy can do it.

The boy was giving me a hand and learning a few bits at same time.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

That van will need another service after that run. 😉
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy69 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:23 pm That van will need another service after that run. 😉
You don't need to tell me !

We've got
Minehead
Pembrey
Glencoe

Next 3 weekends
SSS

Post by SSS »

Have you got the new bike yet? Or still waiting, waiting, waiting....

Ive never been to see the DH at Glencoe (i have been snowboarding/skiing at Glencoe so only seen the track from the uplift). Which one is he scheduled to do? the red or the black.

Id have considered coming along to watch for a day out with Mrs SSS - the new cafe is really nice - but even Glencoe is a real chew for me to get to! Cross country roads, sunday drivers, stupid drivers, tourists and roadworks :D Turns a 2hr drive into 4hr with road rage.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

SSS wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:39 am Have you got the new bike yet? Or still waiting, waiting, waiting....

Ive never been to see the DH at Glencoe (i have been snowboarding/skiing at Glencoe so only seen the track from the uplift).

Id have considered coming along to watch for a day out with Mrs SSS - the new cafe is really nice - but even Glencoe is a real chew for me to get to! Cross country roads, sunday drivers, stupid drivers, tourists and roadworks :D Turns a 2hr drive into 4hr with road rage.
Tomorrow matey... it'll be here tomorrow. We could've collected it already, but seemed pointless as the riding we had planned didn't need it this week.

We're up there from the Tues (i think) until the Tues after 11th-17th i think... So we'll be getting plenty of riding in. When he was up for the race at Fort William they closed the track for a few days prior to racing to set up and tape it etc.... So if they do that again this time, we'll hit the trails up at Fort William a bit instead of Glencoe.
SSS

Post by SSS »

Sounds good, looks like got it all planned. Going along to Fort William is an inspired choice. Pity you dont have more time up in Scotland to do other places.

Remember your midgie nets and Skin So Soft :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

SSS wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:44 am Sounds good, looks like got it all planned. Going along to Fort William is an inspired choice. Pity you dont have more time up in Scotland to do other places.

Remember your midgie nets and Skin So Soft :D
Might be for another thread, but ideas on what to do on familys afternoons would be appreciated, within 50 miles.
SSS

Post by SSS »

Well i probably wouldnt be the one to ask being an East coaster :)

But the instant ones are Fort William itself and probably Oban. Glencoe (for me) is in the middle of nowhere :D so looking for some sights, food, shopping, things to do - then these are my bets for lazy afternoons with the family. You could go to Kinlochleven if you like looking at hydro power stations :)

https://www.myvoyagescotland.com/things ... ls-in-oban

https://www.myvoyagescotland.com/things ... rt-william
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Fort William is a bit of a dump - the scenery around it is amazing. It is possibly the only big town around. And driving any distance takes for ever.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:13 pm Fort William is a bit of a dump - the scenery around it is amazing. It is possibly the only big town around. And driving any distance takes for ever.
LOL we've been there don't forget a couple of months ago.

We're staying between Glencoe and FW this time around in a little village place...

I've been looking around for 'things to do' for us as a family if Mrs Weeksy goes... The simple answer is.... there's hills.... and water... that's about it really. :)
SSS

Post by SSS »

Take the motorbike(s). The roads are awesome - room in the van for the family, mountain bikes and motorbikes? :D

Might have more room if this delivery doesnt show up .....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

SSS wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:19 pm Take the motorbike(s). The roads are awesome - room in the van for the family, mountain bikes and motorbikes? :D

Might have more room if this delivery doesnt show up .....
Wife doesn't ride on the road... i'll be on the MTB with the boy at FW and Glencoe practicing, well, he's practicing, i'm squealing like a girl.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

SSS

Post by SSS »

HUZZAH!!
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Has it shrunk in the wash?
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nope, it's a large
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

He's a lucky young man. :D

(Have you taken it apart yet? :lol: ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire