Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
the_priest

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by the_priest »

I was visiting a parishioner and her daughter this morning. Daughter had just sent her car to be serviced/MOT'd, usual annual stuff.

Get called and told MOT failure for seized rear caliper. The quote for the rear/os caliper and both rear pads... wait for it.... £800... This is a Hyundai IX20, not a Porsche or Mercedes/BMW/Audi!!

Just taking the pish. I contacted a local mechanic who is well known in the church and he fitted them in today for well under half that price.

It caused the daughter huge stress, she is autistic and does not cope well with situations like this. I did the phoning and got things sorted out for her, went to the car dealer with her, collected the car and took it to the mechanic who was 200 yards down the road. He will take the car to them when the job is done by 3pm as they are local.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Pushy/helicopter parents, and parents that have brought their kids up to be just so rude, to them and others!!

I'm not a parent, so maybe there's a good reason to allow a 6ft 12 year old to cheek his mum (more than 6ft) in front of strangers!!

And talking over the instructor when said instructor is talking to your child is not only rude but a little stupid too!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Ant

Post by Ant »

the_priest wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:00 pm I was visiting a parishioner and her daughter this morning. Daughter had just sent her car to be serviced/MOT'd, usual annual stuff.

Get called and told MOT failure for seized rear caliper. The quote for the rear/os caliper and both rear pads... wait for it.... £800... This is a Hyundai IX20, not a Porsche or Mercedes/BMW/Audi!!

Just taking the pish. I contacted a local mechanic who is well known in the church and he fitted them in today for well under half that price.

It caused the daughter huge stress, she is autistic and does not cope well with situations like this. I did the phoning and got things sorted out for her, went to the car dealer with her, collected the car and took it to the mechanic who was 200 yards down the road. He will take the car to them when the job is done by 3pm as they are local.
£800? That's just ridiculous.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Noggin wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:09 pm Pushy/helicopter parents, and parents that have brought their kids up to be just so rude, to them and others!!

I'm not a parent, so maybe there's a good reason to allow a 6ft 12 year old to cheek his mum (more than 6ft) in front of strangers!!

And talking over the instructor when said instructor is talking to your child is not only rude but a little stupid too!!!
OMG! The same tall kid is ok without his mum. But today, before he arrived for his lesson this afternoon, I got a call from his mum saying that he was on his way and that he hadn't drunk enough water today because he didn't finish the drinks at breakfast or lunch, so could I make sure he drank a glass of water before he goes out??

FFS, what am I? A sodding nanny!! If you are that worried (and TBF, she should be it was about 32 degrees today and he was off for a 2.5 hour mountain bike lesson!!) then sodding well make sure he DOES finish his drinks!!!!

I know - grumpy non-Mum mode, but FFS, the bike school really isn't a nanny, and we didn't have any cups/glasses so he had to slurp some from the outside tap!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Ant wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:48 pm £800? That's just ridiculous.
Yes it is. Their structured prices are ridiculous and a total ripoff. Thankfully the local mechanic sorted it for less then he quoted as it took less time to do the job. Job ended up costing £310, not £798. Same parts and labour time.

Just need to check tyres, but that is simple enough to do locally with so many tyre shops offering good prices.
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

the_priest wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:37 am
Yes it is. Their structured prices are ridiculous and a total ripoff. Thankfully the local mechanic sorted it for less then he quoted as it took less time to do the job. Job ended up costing £310, not £798. Same parts and labour time.

Just need to check tyres, but that is simple enough to do locally with so many tyre shops offering good prices.
Not sure where you're based, but if you're anywhere near Tavistock. Tyremarks will look after you properly !
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Jody wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:26 am
the_priest wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:37 am

Not sure where you're based, but if you're anywhere near Tavistock. Tyremarks will look after you properly !
SE London. Lots of choice here.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Regarding my casserole quest up there ^^^^^

I ventured into the Le Creuset shop today. They have what looks like I need. £285. They're havin' a giraffe. Damned if I'm paying for their glitzy showroom.

Lakeland shop didn't have what I want in store so hey ho, hey ho, it is on-line I go. As fortune would have it a block of Lakeland discount vouchers dropped through the letterbox this am. @£55 with 20% off, I'll risk it. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Trying to organise transport to Heathrow on Boxing Day. We've had offers of a lift around the M25, but we both feel like it's an imposition on people's Christmas time, plus we thought we'd do the decent thing and use public transport.
So....

Heathrow Express closed for engineering works over the holiday.

Elizabeth Line not operating on Christmas Day or Boxing Day.

Fuck it. Car it is and a bottle of duty free on our return for whoever has to stay sober. :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:29 pm Trying to organise transport to Heathrow on Boxing Day. We've had offers of a lift around the M25, but we both feel like it's an imposition on people's Christmas time, plus we thought we'd do the decent thing and use public transport.
So....

Fuck it. Car it is and a bottle of duty free on our return for whoever has to stay sober. :lol:

Did you not get the memo? Heathrow is closed due to strike action from Xmas Eve through to 2nd January.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Every time I've been to LHR I've looked around at various options and always landed on the same one for cost and convenience. Minicab :D

Minicab via one of the apps is way cheaper than a 'proper' airport taxi and likely as not the same car anyway!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:33 pm
gremlin wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:29 pm Trying to organise transport to Heathrow on Boxing Day. We've had offers of a lift around the M25, but we both feel like it's an imposition on people's Christmas time, plus we thought we'd do the decent thing and use public transport.
So....

Did you not get the memo? Heathrow is closed due to strike action from Xmas Eve through to 2nd January.
Good. Divert the flight to Biggin Hill and I'll get the bus. :thumbup:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Parcelfarce! I get this message on the tracking,

We attempted to deliver your parcel on Wednesday 19th July 2023 at 16:02 but no one was available. Your parcel will either have been taken to a local Post Office for the addressee to collect or returned to our depot. Your parcel status will be updated here and our driver will have left a card explaining what to do next.

The problem being, is its being delivered to Argos/Sainburys, so of course there was someone there ffs, and I don't have the card to collect it from the depot! :roll: I've contacted customer services via their online form. Lets see how they remedy this!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

eBay and the fuckwits who populate it.

Usual stuff. Won't bore you with the details.

As you were.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Fuckwits making system & process changes, ahead of agreed schedule, with absolutely no regard to the potential fallout and shrugging their shoulders when the complaints start flying in.

What doesn’t help is it happens every time there is a change because the ‘process’ people don’t actually know how to do or what the day job is but feel they know more than people doing the job every day…

I feel like I work for an international FTSE100 (some of the time) business who at times couldn’t find its arse with both hands tied behind it’s back…
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:39 pm Regarding my casserole quest up there ^^^^^

I ventured into the Le Creuset shop today. They have what looks like I need. £285. They're havin' a giraffe. Damned if I'm paying for their glitzy showroom.

Lakeland shop didn't have what I want in store so hey ho, hey ho, it is on-line I go. As fortune would have it a block of Lakeland discount vouchers dropped through the letterbox this am. @£55 with 20% off, I'll risk it. :lol:
So I bought one (4.5l Prestige, black CI from Lakeland). It's v similar to the Cuisances/LC one but a tad bigger (25cm cf 22cm). Seasoned it (corn oil/190°C/1hr fan oven - note to self, open windows and doors next time!).

It's absolutely fine and, at £55 less 20%, as being as good as the £285 Le Creuset offering a total no-brainer in the end. :thumbup:
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Three hundred quid!

I stopped looking at LC stuff ages ago because they were getting silly. They're just taking the piss now.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:16 am Three hundred quid!

I stopped looking at LC stuff ages ago because they were getting silly. They're just taking the piss now.
Yup. The shop was like a shrine (and as quiet as one - even though they were supposed to have a sale on). Prices seem to have gone north since they did the High Street thing. I've still got other LC pans that are getting on for 30 years old (I did wear out a frying pan) but chances are I won't be buying any more, it'll be John Lewis and Lakeland in future.
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

TBF the only LC store I knoe of and have been to is part of one of those "designer village" outlet places, so I'm not surprised at the prices on reflection. IIRC they're sandwiched between Michael Kors and Bose. :lol:
cheb

Post by cheb »

When the bulb in the oven fails and trips the mcb part way through a sponge cake cooking. I think I spotted it quickly enough but the timer also reset.