General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

What's the cylinder about? Demin?
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:13 pm What's the cylinder about? Demin?
It’s a filter, removes the shit that’s in your water, reduces chlorine, taste and odour, lead and some volatile organic compounds including benzine, toxaphene and dichlorobenzene and reduces scale.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Just to show what crap you drink....

This filter was changed less than a month ago... new one is porcelain white as you can see...

Then look carefully in this jug which is the water in t he bottom of the filter.... now I have complained twice to Anglian water about the bits of metal in the water supply, they deny its them, but it can’t be from internal as they is no chrome pipe or fittings between in inbound plastic pipe and where this filter sits...

So, while probably harmless, I don’t like drinking it, or running it through very expensive coffee machines.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:15 pm Just to show what crap you drink....

This filter was changed less than a month ago... new one is porcelain white as you can see...

Old one is kinda coffee coloured :thumbup:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Gotta be honest, I find it hard to worry about the water being ever so slightly dirty. Dirty enough to turn a white filter into an off white filter over a few weeks :D

I have however considered one for my washing machine, our water is super hard and slowly our stuff gets crusted up.

[/mumsnet]
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

But when that junk includes bits of metal.... I don’t want to drink it, like I say, maybe nothing to worry about but no one forces you to filter your water, I just like cleaner water. Plus the filters remove the chlorine. If it’s chicken everyone is up in arms about a chlorine wash, but it’s in every drop of tap water than comes through the mains 😂😂😂
Horse

Post by Horse »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:14 pmPlus the filters remove the chlorine. If it’s chicken everyone is up in arms about a chlorine wash, but it’s in every drop of tap water than comes through the mains 😂😂😂
But you know that it's not the chlorine on chicken meat that's the concern ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Horse wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:57 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:14 pmPlus the filters remove the chlorine. If it’s chicken everyone is up in arms about a chlorine wash, but it’s in every drop of tap water than comes through the mains 😂😂😂
Ever seen inside an intensive broiler shed in the U.K.? Or Poland (where we import a shit load of cheap chicken from)

Next time you buy a chicken look at the brown marks on the legs... they are called hock burns...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I don't eat intensively farmed chicken. I don't have a filter on my water either.

Not sure where that leaves me with regards to chlorine? :?
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

You don’t care, and no one is forcing you to filter your water. I prefer to, so do.

Slightly curious (but not that much) why is that such an issue to you?

Unless you only eat meat at home, that you get locally from a known free range location, or from a reputable butcher and you never meat out, never eat a pie, or ready meal or pre made sandwich etc. in any shape or form, ever, you eat intensively farmed meat - simple as that.

Even free range chicken bought from supermarkets is suspect as fuck... I could tell you why but you will no doubt argue against the facts about that..
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Snot an issue to me, dunno why you think it is....

But yeah, totally get your point WRT meat. I'm not gonna claim I'm perfectly factory meat free, but I'd say probably 95% plus. Mrs D is veggie and was vegan for >10 years so were predominately veggie here anyway. I eat meat once or twice a week if I'm being fancy and I get it from a proper old school butcher. Costs three times as much but I eat ten times less, soooo...

Eating out is the only time I'd eat factory meat I reckon and even then I don't really do meat that much.

It was actually Hugh FW from River Cottage that switched me on to this issue in the first place, so I've steadily ramped down how much meat eat over the last 10 years or so and I'm much more picky about the meat I do eat.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:21 pm
Horse wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:57 pm
Ever seen inside an intensive broiler shed in the U.K.? Or Poland (where we import a shit load of cheap chicken from)
Inside of an 'egg' shed, yes.

However, you're deliberately (I guess) avoiding the point. Fair enough.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Horse wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:26 pm

Egg shed ain’t necessarily a broiler shed, but I’m clearly missing the point? Why don’t you actually say what you mean chap?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:51 pm

Egg shed ain’t necessarily a broiler shed, but I’m clearly missing the point? Why don’t you actually say what you mean chap?
The chlorine treatment is because of lower standards. And I'm sure you know that. However, in case you don't:

Why is chlorine treatment banned over here?
The EU and the US have a long-running dispute over imports of chlorine-treated poultry, which EU member states have refused to accept since 1997. The feud has resulted in proceedings before the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and remains a major bone of contention in EU-US trade relations.

One of the EU’s key concerns is that the use of antimicrobial treatments like chlorine washes compensates for poor hygiene behaviour elsewhere in the supply chain (for example on farms), and that consumers are better protected by a system that doesn’t allow processors the simple ‘get-out’ of treating their chicken with chemicals. As a result, EU processors are only allowed to use cold air and water to decontaminate poultry carcases.

The US disputes this, says the ban is not based on scientific evidence and little more than wilful protectionism designed to protect EU poultry producers from more competitive imports.

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/food-safety ... 18.article

And important because:

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... deal-uk-eu
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Horse wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:19 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:51 pm

The chlorine treatment is because of lower standards. And I'm sure you know that. However, in case you don't:

Why is chlorine treatment banned over here?
The EU and the US have a long-running dispute over imports of chlorine-treated poultry, which EU member states have refused to accept since 1997. The feud has resulted in proceedings before the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and remains a major bone of contention in EU-US trade relations.

One of the EU’s key concerns is that the use of antimicrobial treatments like chlorine washes compensates for poor hygiene behaviour elsewhere in the supply chain (for example on farms), and that consumers are better protected by a system that doesn’t allow processors the simple ‘get-out’ of treating their chicken with chemicals. As a result, EU processors are only allowed to use cold air and water to decontaminate poultry carcases.

The US disputes this, says the ban is not based on scientific evidence and little more than wilful protectionism designed to protect EU poultry producers from more competitive imports.

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/food-safety ... 18.article

And important because:

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... deal-uk-eu
This isn’t the thread for it but...

As I said, seen inside a broiler shed? If you think U.K. or EU standards are all the great for intensive chicken or indeed pork, you haven’t seen many intensive set ups.

In 2017, close to 300 tons of antibiotics where used in U.K. meat production - further to this 75% of chicken in the U.K. is contaminated with salmonella and/or campylobacter, including the outer packing you touch as you shop.

Two approaches to the same problem, but US chicken tests far less positive for these pathogens.

Routine AB use in the EU is in theory banned, but still happens, same with pork... the big hoohar about chlorine chicken is purely protectionism and has little science behind it, as the EU even admit, there is nothing dangerous in it.

Besides - all this because I filter my drinking water 😂😂
Horse

Post by Horse »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:30 pm
This isn’t the thread for it but...

As I said, seen inside a broiler shed? If you think U.K. or EU standards are all the great for intensive chicken or indeed pork, you haven’t seen many intensive set ups.
True, and no.

I worked for a short while in one part of the food industry and it changed my eating habits for several years. I would say you've on fairly safe grounds with the 'Ah, but have you?' challenge because very few are likely to have gone no closer than the counter at MaccyD.

But that's irrelevant. And, again, wrong thread, however doesn't the implications of a future US trade deal that has such food changes included have ramifications?
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Anyway... back to the thread. Happy to discuss on another thread but not in here.

:thumbup:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I have a reverse osmosis filter sitting under my kitchen sink - it's a pleasing purchase! The tap water here comes straight out of the ground which is primarily limestone so would be considered 'hard'. It also has a mildly unpleasant taste. I was born and raised in Dover where the water was even worse and my sister, who still lives there thought our local water was just fine.

I bought the RO unit primarily for my tropical aquarium though. The fish I prefer, S American cichlids, require soft, acidic water and the easy way to get that is to pretty much purify the water with RO and work from there. It has the advantage of producing very nice drinking water as well so I don't buy bottled water like most people here do. My filter has a couple of extra elements after the RO unit to put some small amounts of minerals back into the almost pure water. It produces water with around 150 ppm dissolved solids whereas the tap water is never less than 700 ppm but is usually around 1000 ppm and I've measured 3000 ppm in the past. That was in August a couple of years ago after a two dry winters. It's not to bad at the moment, around 800 ppm dissolved solids as we had a normal, wet winter and tourist numbers have been down because of Covid.

The filter paid for itself within 12 months - I was expecting it to be 18 months - partly because bottled water has been going up in price the last couple of years. New set of filter elements costs around £12 a year. The fish are happy.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

I’m a cichlid fan... got any pics of your tank(s)?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

12 packets of sausages (nice ones, too) from Morrison's for 7p each. Also snaffled some turkey breast slices and turkey burgers for the same. The hound will eat well for the next few weeks. :D

And for me, 4 packs of diced venison, reduced from £4 a pack to 20p. They reside in my freezer awaiting transformation to a game stew.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!