Ebike W*****s

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Couchy

Ebike W*****s

Post by Couchy »

So the comment was the bike does it all for you, a fair comment said in jest but it’s heard a lot from folk who haven’t ridden one. I’m a little confused because if the bike does it all wouldn’t everyone on an ebike post the same times on Strava ? :crazy: :crazy:
Nordboy

Re: Ebike W*****s

Post by Nordboy »

I'm an Ebike w****r........and proud :thumbup: :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Couchy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:42 pm So the comment was the bike does it all for you, a fair comment said in jest but it’s heard a lot from folk who haven’t ridden one. I’m a little confused because if the bike does it all wouldn’t everyone on an ebike post the same times on Strava ? :crazy: :crazy:
Shouldn't you be drunk posting when it's late?
Claude

Post by Claude »

But they kinda do!
Rp1

Post by Rp1 »

Couchy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:42 pm So the comment was the bike does it all for you, a fair comment said in jest but it’s heard a lot from folk who haven’t ridden one. I’m a little confused because if the bike does it all wouldn’t everyone on an ebike post the same times on Strava ? :crazy: :crazy:
I'm a little confused why everyone hasn't got an one !
Being fairly new to the world of ebikes I have been blown away by what you can achieve with some effort with them, the things are just like tank's that allow you to plough up/through/down anything that's on your path.
Was out with a mate the other day who usually ride an "e" on our local downhill trails, but this time he took his normal mtb, had a few goes on it and we both said after that it's not as good as the ebikes, felt slow and unresponsive, not sure if this is an answer to your post or just me blabbering on :D
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Were you having fun? The best comment I've seen about ebikes is You can't cheat at having fun.

(Although if you're chasing Strava KOMs on an ebike, that's cheating.)
Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

E bikes are great, in an ideal world I’d have one of each
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

One of the local top competition cyclists has just bought a posh eMTB and he says it's amazing. Couple of nights ago, we were supping beaucoup de Leffe and he said he could go where us Enduro boys go.
Well, I'm taking a pal's son out on his eMTB tmrw, so gonna invite matey boy along for the ride. Then we'll see just how good they are...

I'll report back :)
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Saga Lout wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:27 pm
I was, possibly mistakenly, under the impression ebike KOMs were separate from clockwork KOMs? I’m sure that when I mark a Strava ride as an ebike, my times for segments are separate from clockwork rides.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Beancounter wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:35 am
I was, possibly mistakenly, under the impression ebike KOMs were separate from clockwork KOMs? I’m sure that when I mark a Strava ride as an ebike, my times for segments are separate from clockwork rides.
Correct.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:36 am
Correct.
presumably, unless those posting manipulate the data re equipment....
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:09 pm
weeksy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:36 am

Correct.
presumably, unless those posting manipulate the data re equipment....
Yep, you have to specifically log your ride as ebike, though, for my part, if I left an ebike ride as standard it would be clocked straightaway. :D
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

We have a few Strava nutters locally, one on the road and one on the MTB, both or very fit and obsessive KOM hunters (as in every tiny little segment), just going out to ride/blitz one particular section to KOM it, waiting for the right weather conditions as well (not that I do that, oh no sir, but at 51, old age, treachery, cunning and "good form" are allowed to be used to beat youth and fitness).😂

The Roadie is locally known as "Sir Flag-a-Lott" as if you beat his KOM he instantly flags it with Strava as requiring investigation!! So to wind him up its been known for people to go out in a group and team TT segments to deliberately get the KOM off him. Motorycles may also have been interpreted as bikes as well.

The MTBer may also have had a few of his KOM's removed by a certain Galactic Dictator on a Levo, just to till he gets the stolen KOM email and then its turned into an E-bike ride.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

Here's my mate Dave proving that just because you have an ebike on Zwift, it doesn't necessarily mean:
  1. You'll automatically post the same time as everyone else
  2. You'll be as fast or faster than the pros
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Yorick wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:51 am One of the local top competition cyclists has just bought a posh eMTB and he says it's amazing. Couple of nights ago, we were supping beaucoup de Leffe and he said he could go where us Enduro boys go.
Well, I'm taking a pal's son out on his eMTB tmrw, so gonna invite matey boy along for the ride. Then we'll see just how good they are...

The ebike will go the same places albeit in most slower, but on downhill tight and technical it could be quicker just as a normal mtb is on that sort of terrain. I love mine as I can go out and ride how I want with no restrictions, you just can't do that here on a motorbike anymore without risking fines, bans or worse. Most green lanes are closed or too easy and the law doesn't take kindly to sitting on one wheel on the road. On the mtb I can go to any number of trails local from easy to extreme and no one bothers me. The adrenalin buzz is equal to a motorbike and is more accessible and massively cheaper. Once you have the bike a day out costs from free to a max of £40 for a day at a downhill centre which is like a trackday for mtb :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couchy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:04 am
Yorick wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:51 am One of the local top competition cyclists has just bought a posh eMTB and he says it's amazing. Couple of nights ago, we were supping beaucoup de Leffe and he said he could go where us Enduro boys go.

The ebike will go the same places albeit in most slower, but on downhill tight and technical it could be quicker just as a normal mtb is on that sort of terrain. I love mine as I can go out and ride how I want with no restrictions, you just can't do that here on a motorbike anymore without risking fines, bans or worse. Most green lanes are closed or too easy and the law doesn't take kindly to sitting on one wheel on the road. On the mtb I can go to any number of trails local from easy to extreme and no one bothers me. The adrenalin buzz is equal to a motorbike and is more accessible and massively cheaper. Once you have the bike a day out costs from free to a max of £40 for a day at a downhill centre which is like a trackday for mtb :)
The planned day out fizzled out, but will be rearranged. But I was mainly thinking about tough climbs. Some of the stuff we do is almost trials bike stuff. Lots of huge sand dunes as well. Lots of hills where power is king. The Husky goes where the Beta wouldn't.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

This sums it up, I can go out for an hour of off road fun straight from my house, it's probably 200 yards of tarmac and then I'm off road, getting muddy and having fun, if I want to go further I can and it's nice varied riding through heath land, deciduous and evergreen woods. On a motorcycle I'm about 10 miles from any decent legal riding, and then it's about an hours riding always going round the same few byways if I want to stay legal.
Honda Owner
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Yorick wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:11 am

The planned day out fizzled out, but will be rearranged. But I was mainly thinking about tough climbs. Some of the stuff we do is almost trials bike stuff. Lots of huge sand dunes as well. Lots of hills where power is king. The Husky goes where the Beta wouldn't.
Big climbs and sand will slow him right down. There's no comparison with a motorbike anywhere that relies solely on power but throw in some downhill and any mtb has a chance, If I had lots of off road for the motorbike as easy as an ebike I'd do more but the ebike is just so accessible and easy :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couchy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:34 am
Yorick wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:11 am

Big climbs and sand will slow him right down. There's no comparison with a motorbike anywhere that relies solely on power but throw in some downhill and any mtb has a chance, If I had lots of off road for the motorbike as easy as an ebike I'd do more but the ebike is just so accessible and easy :)
I only need to ride 400 yards, then hours of fun. Rarely use tarmac.
Proto

Post by Proto »

Nordboy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:44 pm I'm an Ebike w****r........and proud :thumbup: :thumbup:
Me too, use my wife’s Wisper Wayfarer, and it’s brilliant (but still farking hard work on the Dorset hills!)