Five take a ride to the Emerald Isle

Anything to do with being out and about, whether on your own or looking to arrange trips and adventures with forum members
Bustaspoke

Five take a ride to the Emerald Isle

Post by Bustaspoke »

One Thaiumph,a Hyabussa (The Barge),2 Berlin tractors & a VW,it's the second of our old farts tours.
Last Friday we arranged to meet at the Bangor Travelodge early evening.We're all based in Lancashire & my mates took the A55,but as lover of North Wales roads I took the scenic/windy roads route to Bangor,finishing up on the A5.
Here's the Streety in the Ogwen valley,nice day for a ride :D

We parked the bike's near the reception,had no problems & asked one of the women working at the Travelodge for a good pub in Bangor & had a few hours down there :thumbup:

Mid morning we got the ferry from Holyhead to Dublin

Colm has a lot of relatives in Ireland so he was tasked with organising the trip & navigating us out of Dublin.
We took a route south,then inland through some big hills & the Wicklow mountains through a place called the Sally Gap,
https://www.theirishroadtrip.com/sally-gap/
then down south to a Hotel just north of Waterford.First day was good,but no one took any photo's.I think that they were relying on me to take the photo's.I didn't take any so they got the message & the next day they were all out with their mobiles taking pictures :thumbup:
Sunday morning we set off & took some single track roads down the Copper coast,then took the road through Cork to Kinsale where we stopped for a break.

Whilst we were in Kinsale I got talking to an Israeli couple who asked me 'Where has the water gone',they didn't know about tides :shock:

After our stop in Kinsale we headed along the coast across to Bantry bay,then over to Kerry.I got a sense of the scenery changing & we were now on a route called the Wild Atlantic Way.We didn't stick to the coast as if we had an idea that a inland road wasn't to be missed then we rode inland a few miles.One such road was on the Beara peninsula,the Healy Pass :thumbup:
https://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/i ... -pass.html
It got a bit moist as we ascended,but it was the only rain of the trip.

If you look behind the Street Triple you can see the road winding across the fell
Here's Colm on his tractor

Judgey's VW

Holty on his barge

And Swifty on his tractor.

,note the difference in luggage between the different bikes...

We stayed at a hotel in Kenmare & Holty tried the G/S for size :wtf:

Later in the evening a couple of Italians turned up,one on a Multistrada,the other on a BMW scooter.A few years earlier they had rode to the Nordkapp & back from Milan in a group of 6 with two of their mates double manning a camper van.Who needs a G/S :D

tbc
ChrisW

Re: Five take a ride to the Emerald Isle

Post by ChrisW »

Bustaspoke wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:53 pm Image
Stunning!
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

The following day we took the scenic route to Dingle,we did another pass,the Gap of Dunloe
https://www.theirishroadtrip.com/the-gap-of-dunloe/
I met a Norwegian bloke who was riding around on a 300 Vespa :shock: Sadly I didn't take his photo & only had a breif chat as I had to catch up with my mates.After doing the Gap of Dunloe we ended up on the coast
After a few minutes the two Italians from the Hotel turned up.They had set off from Milan & were doing a lap of Ireland before riding home.It was funny to see how they were dressed,the Multistrada rider was dressed as you would expect of someone doing a Euro tour,the scooter pilot looked like he was dressed for riding to the shops :D They seemed good blokes & we wished them well on the rest of their journey :thumbup:
We set off around the bay & found a nice Cafe,the beach was white sand,it was really pretty,like Formby but without the Scallies :D

After a nice sunny afternoon's ride we ended up at Dingle for the night.
We headed to a local pub for some food & beer,then I went for a stroll around the harbour

They've got a statue of a dolphin,looked good in the evening sun :thumbup:

We then ended up in another pub,where for the second succesive night we had to listen to a pub singer playing Fiddly Dee stuff :thumbdown:
tbc
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Happy travels, good to see.!
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Next morning we were on the road before breakfast as Colm wanted to show us the Slea Head road,it's the R559.Both Colm & his brother rode it last year & rated it,he also asked the woman on the hotel reception's opinion & she said that it's a must do,so we went for a ride around Slea Head.

I only took one picture as I was to busy enjoying the ride :thumbup:

Next it was back through Dingle & up to Listowel wher we found a 'builders cafe' & had a good breakfast.
Fuelled up we headed for the ferry,crossing the Shannon at Tarbert.

We then headed along the coast again,we were going to stop at the Cliffs of Moher,but when we were told it's 10 Euro's & full of coach parties we decided to carry on to Galway for the last couple of nights.
Galway is a big town & it came as a surprise to see lots of traffic for the first time since Cork,but the Hotel was great.We were a bit tired by the time we arrived & spent the first evening in the Hotel restaurant & bar.
Next morning I had planned to go for a big hike around Galway & get a feel for the place,my mates had planned on doing a ride again but all changed their minds & hopped into Judgey's VW for a drive into Galway.
Galway,like all the places we had stayed has a big tourist industry & there was a cruise ship docked there

The town itself was busy but nice

I watched a few blokes fishing for Salmon on one of the rivers

Caught up with my mates at a pub

And concious of tomorrow's ride home Judgey & me went back to the Hotel after a couple of pints
Swifty met us later at the Hotel,but the other two were having a session...
Following morning we left just after 9,Colm went earlier as he had to call in at relatives near Athlone & we'd meet him at Dublin docks.The ride across the middle of Ireland is straght forward,although it gets a bit busy around Dublin & there's a toll tunnel to negotiate.We arrived on the dock around 12 & queued for the ferry
Here's the Street Triple in touring mode

The ferry trip went without incident & we were out of Holyhead docks just after 6pm,rode down to Bangor services again had a cofee.fuelled up & headed home.
The last day provided a surprise,the Triumph trip came in at 258 miles from Galway to West Lancs,fair enough the ferry covered a few miles but from here it's further to ride to Cornwall than Galway :wtf:
We did this trip as a recce ride & we wanted to see the South west of Ireland & as such the trip served it's purpose.
Next time I think I'll go straight west to Galway & probably spend a few nights in Dingle & Kenmare doing more exploring & walking,but this trip was just a recce
We all enjoyed the trip & we're already thinking about the next one :thumbup:
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Glad you enjoyed the trip here to Ireland.

Yep, the trip to Dublin from Galway is boring as hell on the motorway, which Is why I didn't use to take it but stayed on the "old" N6 which nobody now seems to use. Sure you have to ride through built up areas with 50kph limits but it beats being tailgated by idiot BMW drivers on Dublin plates on the motorway.

If you're after scenery then west of Galway into Connemara is something to do if you're over again. In fact most of the Wild Atlantic Way is rather picturesque - except for the bit between Sligo and Donegal Town. The trick here is to head inland from Sligo and go via Manorhamilton, Blacklion, Enniskillen, Irvinstown, Kesh, Boa Island, Belleek (where the truly horrible pottery comes from) and back to the Wild Atlantic Way in Ballyshannon. Sure it's way longer than Sligo to Ballyshannon but also way more interesting.

Just an idea for next time.

Nice pictures and report too. :thumbup:
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Ive always fancied Ireland, but never been. Always fancied that west coast route and ain't the ring of kerry summot.?? Then there's the Nw.200. 🤔

Good read. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
YoKaiser

Post by YoKaiser »

Looks like a great trip! I'll need to do the rest from a clockwise direction next time.

Had the same experience at the Cliffs of Mother. I'd seen a load of cliffs by then and didn't fancy €12(obviously went up in a couple of weeks). Another spot I had on the itinerary was Doolin and you get a fine view of them from there.