Wild Atlantic Way, Ireland

Anything to do with being out and about, whether on your own or looking to arrange trips and adventures with forum members
YoKaiser

Wild Atlantic Way, Ireland

Post by YoKaiser »

I've plans to do this or at least some of it this June. Anyone done it or tips? Accommodation recommendations welcome to or at least places to stop.
Bustaspoke

Re: Wild Atlantic Way, Ireland

Post by Bustaspoke »

We're going to do some of it in May,but it's the first time over there for me.
Search YT for a channel called Adventure bike pilot,he's Irish & uploaded a series on the Wild Atlantic way.
YoKaiser

Post by YoKaiser »

Cheers, I'll have a look. What part are you thinking of doing in May?
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

YoKaiser wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:59 pm Cheers, I'll have a look. What part are you thinking of doing in May?
Somewhere down the South West.A couple of my mates have organised it.I'm taking a back seat on the organisation of this one :thumbup:
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

Am doing Galway / Kilarney 1st weekend in June. Weather can be mega changeable so pack wet gear and watch the prices of hotels.

If it's not raining it'll be brill !
YoKaiser

Post by YoKaiser »

Well, I'm just back yesterday from nigh on a week away. Basically took a right off the ferry at Belfast and more or less hugged the coast and got as far as Kenmare where I finished off the Ring of Kerry and headed back. If you are thinking of doing this then I'd say get on it, really is a wonderful place for biking. Pretty much used the Wild Atlantic Way as a rough guide, I think it'd take months to explore every nook and cranny that it'd take you, this does leave me lots of opportunities for a revisit. Quite a big learning experience for me too and I'd do it slightly different next time I'm away on the bike but I'd definitely go back to Ireland.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

We did some of it last month,my favourite part was around the ring of Kerry.We got as far up the coast as Galway.
Definitely going back,but next time going to spend a few days based in Dingle & Kenmare.
The weather certainly helps & I plan on going at short notice after looking at the forecast :thumbup:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Which ferry and how much. ??
Yamaha rocket 3
YoKaiser

Post by YoKaiser »

Bustaspoke wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:12 pm We did some of it last month,my favourite part was around the ring of Kerry.We got as far up the coast as Galway.
Definitely going back,but next time going to spend a few days based in Dingle & Kenmare.
The weather certainly helps & I plan on going at short notice after looking at the forecast :thumbup:
That's what I'd do different, pick two or three centres and do day runs out of them. Ring of Kerry really was spectacular, did you add in the Skellig ring? A nice addition to the Ring of Kerry . If you do get north of Galway then the R335 is spectacular, one of my BnB hosts informed me that the AA had it down as the 4th best road in the world and it certainly was amazing. Also known as the Famine road. If you were looking for a base in that region then Westport would be a fine choice. Famine road, Achill island and the Mullet. Highly recommended.
YoKaiser

Post by YoKaiser »

Dodgy69 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:18 pm Which ferry and how much. ??
Me or bustaspoke?
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

YoKaiser wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:58 pm
Bustaspoke wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:12 pm We did some of it last month,my favourite part was around the ring of Kerry.We got as far up the coast as Galway.
That's what I'd do different, pick two or three centres and do day runs out of them. Ring of Kerry really was spectacular, did you add in the Skellig ring? A nice addition to the Ring of Kerry . If you do get north of Galway then the R335 is spectacular, one of my BnB hosts informed me that the AA had it down as the 4th best road in the world and it certainly was amazing. Also known as the Famine road. If you were looking for a base in that region then Westport would be a fine choice. Famine road, Achill island and the Mullet. Highly recommended.
I wrote a short R/R in this section of the forum.This was my first time in Southern Ireland so I treated it as a recce tour.Colm sorted it out,he's got relatives over there & goe's a few times a year,I think we did some of the Skellig ring,we did The Gap of Dunloe early in the day before it got busy.
We stayed in Hotels & I noticed at the Kenmare hotel there were a lot of people kitted out for walking.I like going off for a hike so next time I'll stay for a few days & explore some of the area.
My mates planned on doing some of the WAW when we got to Galway,but I told them before we left England that I would use the day in Galway for a chill & explore the town.By the time we got there they all decided to do the same,so next time I'll do a day on the WAW heading up the coast from Galway.
One part I highly recommend is the short loop to Slea Head,out of Dingle :thumbup:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yo...
Yamaha rocket 3
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

We got the ferry from Hollyhead to Dublin,have a look at sailing times & prices.
One surprise was that from here,West Lancs to Galway via the Hollyhead ferry was approx 250 miles,it's further for us to get to Cornwall than the far West of Ireland
YoKaiser

Post by YoKaiser »

Dodgy69 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:31 pmYo...
I got the ferry from Cairnryan to Belfast and headed North. I think it was £59/69 each way. I booked flexible for the way back and did indeed change my booking and came home a day early. Stayed in BnBs and they were between £50-70.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I was looking at ferry's a couple of year's back for the NW200. Never went in the end, but looked at Holyhead to Belfast, think it was an overnighter. I remember prices being much cheaper than Dick Turpins Steam packet.
Yamaha rocket 3
YoKaiser

Post by YoKaiser »

Aye, was at the TT last year, price did make me wince. But the Stena sailing was acceptable, it's even quite a nice boat compared to feeling like you are in the hold of a trawler on the Steam Packet. We are a bit spoiled up here also as ferry prices are capped, if only they opened up the Isle of Man sailing from Ardrossan again I'd be cock a hoop.
YoKaiser

Post by YoKaiser »

In fact, I never took it up, but they used to do a bikers day on the boat. I think it was something daft like £15 return which included a free bacon roll (this was to Ireland). Even had a suggested day route. Pro COVID though and I'm not sure we'll see it again.