Noise cameras now in London

Anything you like about motorbikes
Hot_Air

Noise cameras now in London

Post by Hot_Air »

Londoners may already know it, but we have noise cameras (74 decibel threshold). I can see less sales of Vance & Hines in the capital! And when West London starts a trend, I expect other places will follow.
Skub

Re: Noise cameras now in London

Post by Skub »

Reason number 1000 not to live in shit city. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

More cameras = more dodgy plates.
Yamaha rocket 3
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Forward or rear facing?
Not that it affects me either way but I'm interested all the same.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:28 pm More cameras = more dodgy plates.
Autumn soon. Terrible the way a leaf will stick to chain grease splatter ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Pardon ?
Skub

Post by Skub »

Think of all the lives that will be lost because of these quiet bikes. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

A stock 1200 Multistrada with all the catalytic and standard system is about 86 at idle and 90 at 2000 rpm so will increase with more revs ......... i assume they will be setting it a bit higher than 86 or else every fucker on a bike will get a ticket even for many on standard systems that are fully ULEZ and Euro 5 compliant
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:19 pm Londoners may already know it, but we have noise cameras (74 decibel threshold). I can see less sales of Vance & Hines in the capital! And when West London starts a trend, I expect other places will follow.
Let's hope they are set off by gob-shiting and rap music. That should bring in enough to pay off the national debt.
Proto

Post by Proto »

The sooner they make their way to East Devon the better. I live not far from the A35, maybe 400 metres as the crow flies, an idyllic location in a wooded valley not far from Lyme Regis. It’s not so idyllic on a weekend when the motorbikes are out in force. Big Harleys and Japanese multis, makes no difference, I can hear them from miles away. It could be argued that the multis are the less evil as they travel quicker so the pain ends sooner.

What is the matter with the moronic fuckwits that think that with loud pipes they turn into Cal Crutchlow or Evil fucking Knivel. I love bikes, fantastic fun and a great way to travel but I’m beginning to hate the fecking things. To inflict misery onto thousands just because you want to pretend you’re a Mad Max road warrior or a Moto GP hero needs to stop. Big fine, bike seized and crushed. Start now.

* guilty of having some (very) loud pipes on my Ducati 750SS. Pretty sure all my other bikes, including my Fireblades were road legal, even the aftermarket pipes.

PS got black flagged at a Thruxton track day for breaking noise limit. 98 Fireblade, standard exhaust. Go figure.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Proto wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:56 am The sooner they make their way to East Devon the better. I live not far from the A35, maybe 400 metres as the crow flies, an idyllic location in a wooded valley not far from Lyme Regis. It’s not so idyllic on a weekend when the motorbikes are out in force. Big Harleys and Japanese multis, makes no difference, I can hear them from miles away. It could be argued that the multis are the less evil as they travel quicker so the pain ends sooner.

What is the matter with the moronic fuckwits that think that with loud pipes they turn into Cal Crutchlow or Evil fucking Knivel. I love bikes, fantastic fun and a great way to travel but I’m beginning to hate the fecking things. To inflict misery onto thousands just because you want to pretend you’re a Mad Max road warrior or a Moto GP hero needs to stop. Big fine, bike seized and crushed. Start now.

* guilty of having some (very) loud pipes on my Ducati 750SS. Pretty sure all my other bikes, including my Fireblades were road legal, even the aftermarket pipes.

PS got black flagged at a Thruxton track day for breaking noise limit. 98 Fireblade, standard exhaust. Go figure.
Is it that time of the month dear? :D :D :D

The potential problem I see with these things is (a) if they are set to a Db level which is lower than the legal limit (b) how can they ensure that the background noise level doesn't contribute to tripping it and (c) how do they calibrate and re-calibrate them?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:19 pm Londoners may already know it, but we have noise cameras (74 decibel threshold). I can see less sales of Vance & Hines in the capital! And when West London starts a trend, I expect other places will follow.
My Vance and Hines is quieter than the two bikes I've got with Micron "silencers"
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

74dB has been the car limit for donkeys, but as above bikes have been allowed to be louder for donkeys too.

One can only assume the cameras/system does a cross reference against the kind of vehicle on the V5, otherwise you'd get nicked for riding a perfectly legal bike. The same is also true of classic vehicles.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Bit of a non story, it's just Chelsea and Kensington, and is the noise detected by a microphone in unscientific circumstances enough evidence to convict someone, from the look of the articles the council are sending people letters saying "You've been a bit noisy, don't do it again" rather than fining them, the most I can see happening is you getting told to take your vehicle some where for noise testing.
Honda Owner
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

The target seems to be cars, not bikes, though I guess bikes will trigger the system. The video cameras attached to the noise meter scan both ways, which suggests it's not a focused directional microphone. According to one report it triggers at 80 db. The video is then examined by a person, it's not an automated system. Presumably if there's only one vehicle in the video as the noise spikes, that's enough to get a hit on a particular vehicle. The report I saw said that fines will be issued to persistent offenders.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
IOU0

Post by IOU0 »

I was bored and read the govt report into the introduction of noise cameras ( i'm ill and bored ok)
Some heavy science in there, but even the reports thrust of arguement was let the offender know they have a noisy exhaust by letter.
So more of a wrist slap to start with, until the tech moves on and THEN they'll have some money off you.
Got really bored and downloaded a dB app and went and checked on the XSR9 with akra and dB killer.
We got 87dB at idle on a cold motor at 1m, however rarely ride at idle!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

IOU0 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:55 am I was bored and read the govt report into the introduction of noise cameras ( i'm ill and bored ok)
Some heavy science in there, but even the reports thrust of arguement was let the offender know they have a noisy exhaust by letter.
So more of a wrist slap to start with, until the tech moves on and THEN they'll have some money off you.
Got really bored and downloaded a dB app and went and checked on the XSR9 with akra and dB killer.
We got 87dB at idle on a cold motor at 1m, however rarely ride at idle!
Its a easier to tell when a car is taking the piss 'cause fundamentally you shouldn't really be able to detect the noise at all with camera.

On the standard deiveby test which is used to get the official number the exhaust generally comes in third, tyres and induction are noisier on standard cars.