The journey from small guy to teenager...

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: The journey from small guy to teenager...

Post by weeksy »

Some bits of the thread are for you, some are for him and some are for me :)

Bearings
6802 2
17286 2
6903 2
15267 2
6902 8
6801 4
Headset

Mech hanger
Code pads
SRAM DUB 83mm BB.

This bit is more for me than you as i need to work out what bolts/hangers/bearings/spares i need in the boxes that i don't already have. I've also got a few things that can now be sold/returned as new.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

We were out last night and i was out riding with another parent but i knew where the boys would be heading with Katy... They were on 'Seths Corners' at FoD practicing... Jeepers they looked fast ! Well, until Seth himself came down and did the same corners.. now that boy is RAPID !!!! Which is no shock as he's an Elite and WC racer lol... but he's fast as heck.

I was on the Liv... God i don't like 99% of that bike... the 1% i do like is the fact it has a motor. The red at FoD is a bit climby and i welcomed the power... but FFS everything else about the thing is horrific lol.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Day at Tirpentwys today for the lads. Absolutely awesome apparently. My boy still can't quite 'let it go' fully on the Enduro bike compared to the DH bike. But not really sure why. He seems to just not let go of the brakes quite as early. 

He was riding both bikes and did about 20 runs in total I think. Me and the other lads dad were uplifting them.

Chilling and some pool action in the garden and BBQ, then up early again for race day at FoD. Let's see what happens here. 
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I just found your birthday present. :D

Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

He had a bit of a scrappy run apparently but obviously wasn't terrible. The plan was to do run 1 on the Fury and run 2 on the Privateer 141 but it didn't work out as they only got 1 run each. But sometimes that works out good, sometimes bad.

But of course, he'll take the podium

Tired now, beer time 
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

weeksy wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:57 pm Tired now, beer time
He's earned it
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:26 pm
weeksy wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:57 pm Tired now, beer time
He's earned it
Lol I don't stop on race day either, top, bottom, top, pushing, riding, pushing riding, Eeb towing. I arguably do more work than him.

He brings the speed and quality though
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:55 pm Image2023-06-11_06-46-26 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
On the Privateer - cool :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:14 pm
weeksy wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:55 pm Image2023-06-11_06-46-26 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
On the Privateer - cool :thumbup:
Not quite. He used both bikes in practice, plan was run 1 on GT and run 2 on 141 for races, but race run 2 was canned due to technical issues
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Been a quiet week on the cycling, bit of a rest/recovery sort of thing for the week. It's been pretty intense in the past few months, so a rest was welcome for both of us.

We're heading to Tiverton tomorrow morning for a weekend at Southern Enduro. Got the full team racing including the boss. The boy is still a DH racer but at times we have a bit of a play in Enduro land. It was a slightly complex one for us this weekend as it clashes with the Llangollen Gravity race which would have been decent pratice for the National DH at Llangollen in a few weeks time, but the lad was given the choice and wanted to do team stuff instead of just practicing the DH track. I thought that was exceptionally good of him to put the team ahead of just himself.

Both the bikes are ready to roll, we've still been playing with the pressures/settings on the 141 as we're not quite there yet, but some changes from the boss a few weeks ago and a bit of dropping of pressures from me and we're getting his bike closer to where he wants it. It's now got some Race Matrix Uberbike pads in there and a slightly different bleed to try and get the lever throw/position closer to his RSCs, but obviously we can't quite get them 100% the same due to lever design. In the ideal world we'd have the same on both, but with them being a chunk of change along with the cost of the incoming Specialized Demo i just can't justify the extra expense currently.

It's been interesting chatting with him in the past few weeks with things like the Lenzerheide and Leogang stuff on along with some other stuff on Redbull TV and the Enduro series coverage. I've been subtly quizzing as to whether he still wants purely a DH Race future and the answer is 100% yes. We were watching Cam McCaull and Gee Atherton on a prog who were doing pure Freeride stuff, but it didn't seem to grab him.
It's also been interesting to see the different paths the team are taking this year after all starting with the same goals of racing Pearce and Nationals, the boy is the only one now who'll be competing in the Nationals for the rest of the season and potentially onwards from there.

I know it's come up a few times in other posts about financing all of this and if i'm completely honest, i block 99% of the thoughts out.. but yeah at times it can be a bit on the tough side, but we're doing OK and can continue as we are for the forseeable future if that's what he wants and where he wants to go with it all. IF the time comes where we head out of the UK to race, well that's a whole different level of funding and we'd need to work out a few plans and priorities there, but i don't see that being next season (unless we did a 1 off race) so we'll worry about it if it even comes about.

The one thing we could really do with most is a tyre sponsor, we'd like to experiment more with rubber choices, compounds, treads etc on both bikes, but there's only so much you can do when they're £60-80 a throw. But other than that, we're happy, enjoying it all and having lots of laughs.. It's been challenging with some of the weather, locations and mostly the bloody mud this year... but we're in a bit of a sweet spot currently with BBQ, camping, laughs, beers... So we're both happy :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Just so you know, it's not all seriousness.

We left early to head to Tiverton, stopping at Weston Super mare for ice cream and walks by the seaside.

Then headed to random pub in middle of nowhere as Sat Nav took us on weird back route to site..

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Great weekend. Back pack mediocrity for me. Although if you count dnf I was 5/9.

The boy didn't really get Enduro again as a format, he doesn't like racing semi blind with just 1 run in practice. Due to a cassette issue, he had to race mullet which didn't help as he's never had the Privateer setup mullet and it's not designed for it. Plus the missed practice time as it went wrong and it was 20 mins push back up to top. So a little bit disappointed from his perspective. He finished 16/30 which didn't make him happy.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

^ no goggles?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

This is a fab photo :D
weeksy wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:15 pm Imagerandr-photo-10806103-6000px-by-hi-jinks-photography by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:55 pm ^ no goggles?
Nooooooo. Look like an idiot, apparently