The kings is dead... long live the king.....

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Claude

Re: The kings is dead... long live the king.....

Post by Claude »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:32 am Cool. Holly's isn't a really "strong" coffee, but it certainly is tasty as the three beans are all roasted to a different profile. One is quite a bit darker, one light and a mid roast on the third. This brings a really nice roundness to it, again IMHO.
Had 2 shots in my flat white this morning. Perfect!
Forgot about the biccy to have with it though.... till now.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:40 am New delivery came yesterday. El Salvador :) Like that. Ta for the biscuits too :thumbup:
That's my go-to bean at the moment. Have to say, wasn't keen on Holly's blend, but then one might argue that I've been spoilt for choice of late :D

The Rwandan Kinini Kinigazi is up there, so give that one a go next. I'm waiting for the Ethiopian nano Challa to come back in stock. My only issue is that I'm going through it at a rate of knots and so are others in the household. I'm almost down to my last bag of beans.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

gremlin wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:44 pm
Supermofo wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:40 am New delivery came yesterday. El Salvador :) Like that. Ta for the biscuits too :thumbup:
That's my go-to bean at the moment. Have to say, wasn't keen on Holly's blend, but then one might argue that I've been spoilt for choice of late :D

The Rwandan Kinini Kinigazi is up there, so give that one a go next. I'm waiting for the Ethiopian nano Challa to come back in stock. My only issue is that I'm going through it at a rate of knots and so are others in the household. I'm almost down to my last bag of beans.
That's going to be a tough one to replace, I have about 5kg of green left of them, but have been advised by my good lady, if I like my testicles attached, they are not for sale....

So far we have tried about 10 from a similar region and they aren't a patch on the nano... however... I have just been sent a good possible... we shall taste tonight. If it passes the taste test.. we will have three new beans in next week, if not just two.

Honduras Lempira - Blueberry, banana, blackberry. Creamy and sweet with a vibrant, malic acidity.
Guatemala Bourbon/Pache - extended fermentation - Lemon pie, white sugar, creamy body and juicy finish

Possibly...

Ethiopian Heirloom mix - organic - Lemon and orange bitters with delicate tea notes, red currant and a dark chocolate finish
Last edited by Wreckless Rat on Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

gremlin wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:44 pm
The Rwandan Kinini Kinigazi
The El Salvador and the Rwandan Kinini Kinigazi are my top 2 at the moment. Wasn't keen on the Moonsoon Malabar despite me loving the name.

Would love to try an Ethiopian one if he gets one, traditionally that's my favourite coffee.
Docca

Post by Docca »

The bourbon one sounds good 👍

So far I’m on 3 coffees a day. That works. It’s my sweet spot. Down from 10, which have me headaches and stress and up from zero, which have me limited enjoyment out of life.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I've ordered a variety pack! And I'm giving a packet of Espresso ground Holly's Blend to my training incumbent. We both like good coffee, so got off to a very good start, and good single malt! Looking forward to the mix of coffees to enjoy. The wife has been enjoying our new source and wants more!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Ta muchly for the speedy delivery and lovely variety. I've just had the Bourbon smooth one! Lovely, gorgeous afternotes. I am awake now and will be able to preach tonight!
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Oh deary me. My 16 year old daughter has decided just this week that she wants to see what coffee is like... so we made her a Hungarian style coffee, tej cave, which is a milky coffee with a spoon of sugar. Now we have another addict in the house... I can see her moving onto lattes and double espressos in no time at all.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Just for the record, I finished the last bag of Eeny_Meeney Miney -Kinagazi this morning and have been forced to open a bag of beans from Taylors of Harrogate.

It is shit in comparison.

I have nothing more to add.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

I got sent a couple of kg of a really nice bean when i got the new coffee machine...

OMG they are nice, alas, very expensive... £40ish a kilo :think:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:02 pm I got sent a couple of kg of a really nice bean when i got the new coffee machine...

Yeah, but if you can afford to have the Panigale of coffee machines sat on your worktop, I think they're reasonable to assume you're minted enough to pay that sort of money. ;)
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

gremlin wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:08 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:02 pm I got sent a couple of kg of a really nice bean when i got the new coffee machine...

Yeah, but if you can afford to have the Panigale of coffee machines sat on your worktop, I think they're reasonable to assume you're minted enough to pay that sort of money. ;)
I'm trying to see what I can get a sack of them bad boys for.... my bet is too much to be able to sell them.
Claude

Post by Claude »

Planning a new machine as part of the kitchen/house refurb.

It has to have a really good steam wand. Whats the recommendations?
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Claude wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:49 pm Planning a new machine as part of the kitchen/house refurb.

The question you need to start with, sadly, is, what is your budget. I just blew £2,279 on mine... so I may not be the sanest person to ask.

Do you want manual?
Bean to cup?
Automatic?
Plumbed in or tank?
What price point make you wince?
Claude

Post by Claude »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:09 pm
Claude wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:49 pm Planning a new machine as part of the kitchen/house refurb.

The question you need to start with, sadly, is, what is your budget. I just blew £2,279 on mine... so I may not be the sanest person to ask.

Do you want manual?
Bean to cup?
Automatic?
Plumbed in or tank?
What price point make you wince?
Bean to cup. Tank er up to a grand I guess
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Take a look at

one of these

They get pretty good reviews...
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

More coffee required. Daughter is hooked. Another variety pack ordered. Lovely stuff in the last lot.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

the_priest wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:02 pm More coffee required. Daughter is hooked. Another variety pack ordered. Lovely stuff in the last lot.
To who does one report pusher priests to?
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:49 pm
the_priest wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:02 pm More coffee required. Daughter is hooked. Another variety pack ordered. Lovely stuff in the last lot.
To who does one report pusher priests to?
The WIFE!