The Triumph

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
ZRX61

Re: The Triumph

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:44 am Stainless can still corrode, even if it doesn't rust. Particularly when it gets really hot, like the bit of header right next to the port might...
Apparently no one told Rob Muzzy :)
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

The headers have corrosion on them. I have managed to get them a bit better, but am not a garage queen. I want to ride the bike, not spend my time polishing it.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:29 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:44 am Stainless can still corrode, even if it doesn't rust. Particularly when it gets really hot, like the bit of header right next to the port might...
Apparently no one told Rob Muzzy :)
Corrosion is a funny old beast and not all stainlesses are created equal.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

the_priest wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:41 pm The headers have corrosion on them. I have managed to get them a bit better, but am not a garage queen. I want to ride the bike, not spend my time polishing it.
Good chance I've written this before but, when I got my first Blackbird, a really good mate had a pub and he said - come over on the weekend and we can polish both bikes (he had a green ZX9r).

My response was apparently unexpected - I've got a new bike, the sun will be shining and its weekend; what makes you think I'll be polishing and not riding!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

the_priest wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:41 pm The headers have corrosion on them. I have managed to get them a bit better, but am not a garage queen. I want to ride the bike, not spend my time polishing it.
That was the first time the Muzzy had been off the bike since 2005. Removed it to clean the front of the engine :) The (mild steel) ZX11 headers just got the graphite stove polish treatment. Painted it on by brush, fired the bike up the next day & smoked out the garage. Most Americans have never heard of the stuff, told those who asked to "ask your grandmother".
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

New Rear Indicators are now installed. This is no BMW!

One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

And yet those are the exact same indicators you will find on an f650gs single
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Done some more work. Soldered and heat shrink for the new waterproof connectors. Front indicators done.

Connectors at bike side done.

Loosely fitted to the bike (waiting for fan.) Indicators do work perfectly front and rear.

Just waiting for the fan to be delivered. Will check that coolant I have in stock is for aluminium blocks, if not, will buy some more.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Fan arrived early! Wiped down, no rust. Fitted to radiator and then to the bike. Need to fit coolant hoses and add coolant, but that is for much later on as I have a hospital visit to go and make.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Found I had no coolant, but filled it with water for now. Will MOT bike, flush radiator and refill with coolant. Sunny and bright tomorrow, so perfect weather for first ride of the year. Comes up to temp nicely, smoked a lot, but has not been run for so long in several months, so to be expected of a 59K engine. Fan comes on when temps get 1/3 of the way.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

the_priest wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:11 pm Found I had no coolant, but filled it with water for now. Will MOT bike, flush radiator and refill with coolant. Sunny and bright tomorrow, so perfect weather for first ride of the year. Comes up to temp nicely, smoked a lot, but has not been run for so long in several months, so to be expected of a 59K engine. Fan comes on when temps get 1/3 of the way.
I rebuilt dozens of 2-stroke racing engines and only used tap water.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Not cold enough for coolant nor hot enough either at the moment. But coolant will be purchased and added once I get the time. Meetings from 9am this morning, so MOT will have to wait a bit and an afternoon meeting and walking the dog (much more important!).
wull

Post by wull »

Regardless of temps you want the coolant as it has additives that will stop the build up of rust and other stuff you don’t want that can potentially block up the water jackets.

But because it’s such a short time it will be fine and you’re flushing it out.

In my race bikes I used to run water all year ( you had to ) but would flush it before the winter lay up and add coolant then.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Coolant makes the water wetter too (breaks the surface tension so it "wets" the surfaces more) and hence makes it cool better, but I doubt that's a factor here!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:51 am Coolant makes the water wetter too (breaks the surface tension so it "wets" the surfaces more) and hence makes it cool better, but I doubt that's a factor here!
In the US you used to be able to buy a product called 'water wetter' as a special coolant that was legal in race bikes.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:53 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:51 am Coolant makes the water wetter too (breaks the surface tension so it "wets" the surfaces more) and hence makes it cool better, but I doubt that's a factor here!
In the US you used to be able to buy a product called 'water wetter' as a special coolant that was legal in race bikes.
Washing up liquid probably :D

The stuff which makes soap bubbly is often separate from the stuff which gives soap it's "wetting" property so you can add one without adding the other.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Wed May 03, 2023 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Surfuctant. I just like the word.
wull

Post by wull »

I’m sure it’s still available, they swore that it would make bikes run cooler.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Nominally it will run cooler, but as with all these things if you're not set up to take advantage of it you won't notice.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

wull wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:07 am
I’m sure it’s still available, they swore that it would make bikes run cooler.
You can get it in Euro Car Parts! As KFB says the Yanks use it in most race bikes, or did when I was reading US forums.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/redline- ... -993778201