Buying a bike online

Anything you like about motorbikes
YoKaiser

Buying a bike online

Post by YoKaiser »

I'm looking at a new bike online. The ad is pretty comprehensive and there is also a walk around video pointing out the good and the bad. Is there anything else you would ask if you were doing this? Any tips or pointers? I'd also be buying the model blind as it were, so some nerves are appearing.

Seller has 100% feedback on eBay and a good Google review rep.
KungFooBob

Re: Buying a bike online

Post by KungFooBob »

Private seller or a business?

If it's from a business and they're delivering it, then you can at least reject it if it isn't as expected.

Not sure I'd do it with a private seller.
YoKaiser

Post by YoKaiser »

It's a business. Good rep by all accounts.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Depends how much it costs, I've bought 4 bikes off the internet unseen ranging from £420 to £2200, all were old bikes, I knew what I was buying and I could afford to throw the money away, I wouldn't spend more than I could afford to piss away on a bike without seeing it, and personally, I would only buy a bike for sensible money from a dealer I feel I could trust, I want to know if it goes bang that they'll honour whatever warranty it's sold with, I've had a couple of experiences in the past where there were problems with vehicles and the dealer basically told me to piss off.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I've bought many. .

I'd guess 30% of them were sight unseen. Only 1 that i was disappointed with and sent back.
YoKaiser

Post by YoKaiser »

Price wouldn't be insignificant to me but I'm not seeing any red flags so far. They have posted a video and do point out a couple of defects which are acceptable.

Do you all feel comfortable haggling a bit over the phone? Price is fair to be honest but it's always nice to feel you have got a bit off.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

How difficult is it to go and look at?
Honda Owner
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:36 pm How difficult is it to go and look at?
I bet he hadn't thought of that.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

It's risky coz photos look good. If you can't go and look yourself, negotiate some type of refusal on delivery if not happy. You'll know in 10 secs. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Distance selling regs apply, if it arrives and isn’t as you expect send it back. You don’t have to give a reason. Did it today with a £24k van as it arrived with an engine light on ! Dealer said don’t worry take it to a local moan dealer, yeah right come get it back and refund me I’m not doing your job and you should have checked it first.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You don't even have to be at a distance. I've given a car back to a dealer 4 days after I got it because the CEL came on. Can't be arsed with fucking about with potential fixes on a vehicle after only 4 days, just returned it.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Where is it, someone local might be able to have a look at it for you. I and a few others have viewed a few bikes for people over the years and even test ridden a couple on their behalf
YoKaiser

Post by YoKaiser »

Thanks all, seeing in person is a no goer, I could probably pick the bike up if I bought it with a fair bit of traveling, I'm just outside Glasgow and the bike is in Maidstone. But I take it on board and I'd probably widen my circle to places I would travel to to view. The bike isn't particularly scarce so it's not like there aren't more out there. This one had a great spec and a good price considering. Unfortunately no movement on price from the dealer and the delivery being a bit more than I expected pushes it over my budget though it's not a stretch, will ponder it a bit longer.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

YoKaiser wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:26 pm ... the bike is in Maidstone.... I'd probably widen my circle to places I would travel to to view
Maidstone's not worth the visit otherwise ;)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills