BMW F900R Cup

Anything you like about motorbikes
KungFooBob

Re: BMW F900R Cup

Post by KungFooBob »

westers151 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:42 pm
Bigjawa wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:42 pm
Bustaspoke wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:55 am
Wasn't the Tri options cup good for Ducati sales?
I think the Tri options cup Ducati's are eligible for this years Supersport series.
How many seasons are BMW running this series?
All the manufacturers try to promote their bikes through racing,look at how many Superstock teams suddenly ran Fireblades after the Honda offer the other year.
The big difference is that the bikes BMW run in their one make series' aren't eligible to run in other classes. It's strictly to shift expensive toys.

I'm all for it though, it's fun to see odd bikes getting raced.
I dunno, apart from the early days of the R6 cup, I've found the one make series boring to watch.

They remind me of club racing - dull to watch, but if you're riding, brilliant fun.
I used to race Desmo Due, the bikes were power capped at 65bhp.

I really enjoyed it, the wife used to stand and watch with all the other spectators, she'd report back how they always said how slow it looked like we were going. Felt pretty fast to me :)
westers151

Post by westers151 »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:09 pm
westers151 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:42 pm
Bigjawa wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:42 pm

The big difference is that the bikes BMW run in their one make series' aren't eligible to run in other classes. It's strictly to shift expensive toys.

I'm all for it though, it's fun to see odd bikes getting raced.
I dunno, apart from the early days of the R6 cup, I've found the one make series boring to watch.

They remind me of club racing - dull to watch, but if you're riding, brilliant fun.
I used to race Desmo Due, the bikes were power capped at 65bhp.

I really enjoyed it, the wife used to stand and watch with all the other spectators, she'd report back how they always said how slow it looked like we were going. Felt pretty fast to me :)
Exactly. I used to race steelies; felt fast, but when I stopped and went back to watch, it was dull.

Having said that, watching any racing at a circuit is dull, MotoGp included. TV coverage has spoilt me, and I've long since grown out of the "sound experience".
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

One bloke who is going to get himself noticed is number 44 Harley Prebble ….. as well as having the 44 number the 44 teeth lot wanted he is also going to be racing in full Evel Knievel leathers and colours on the bike. That should get him some TV coverage :)

Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:04 pm
westers151 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:42 pm I dunno, apart from the early days of the R6 cup, I've found the one make series boring to watch.

Dunno. When I was racing, we used to watch the other proddy racers, to see if they were as daft as us :D
When you’re a teenager anything goes. We didn’t really care if we died racing."

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/201 ... cn-sport1/
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

One of the best race series I watched live was MZ racing. That was seriously slow but absolutely mental.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:13 am One of the best race series I watched live was MZ racing. That was seriously slow but absolutely mental.
That was how i got involved with Bemsee. My mate at work had been talking about having a go at racing for a while and decided on the MZ lot on the condition that i helped out in the paddock. I did 3 seasons as his pit bitch till he packed it in then i decided to stay involved and started as a marshal for a few years.

The corner speed on the MZ's was hilarious as they ran TZR125 wheels to allow full slicks ;)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:57 am
Supermofo wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:13 am One of the best race series I watched live was MZ racing. That was seriously slow but absolutely mental.
That was how i got involved with Bemsee. My mate at work had been talking about having a go at racing for a while and decided on the MZ lot on the condition that i helped out in the paddock. I did 3 seasons as his pit bitch till he packed it in then i decided to stay involved and started as a marshal for a few years.

The corner speed on the MZ's was hilarious as they ran TZR125 wheels to allow full slicks ;)
There didn't seem much differential between straight/corner speed when I've watched it. Great racing series.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:20 am
There didn't seem much differential between straight/corner speed when I've watched it. Great racing series.
I never understand why people say racing is 'boring' when it's bikes with less power... it might take longer to get down the straight, but it's what goes on in the corners that makes it interesting. And that's why tight twisty tracks are great.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:18 pm
Supermofo wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:20 am
I never understand why people say racing is 'boring' when it's bikes with less power... it might take longer to get down the straight, but it's what goes on in the corners that makes it interesting. And that's why tight twisty tracks are great.
Yep. I like to see stuff where there's a bit of a battle involving more than the top 4 or 5 and the ultimate speed has little to do with it. Been to a few car things on the club circuit at Brands Hatch and the MX5 and Legends stuff are as much fun to watch as the 'elite' stuff, in fact, on circuit it's better. Maybe people think that they get a sense of the speed etc on TV...which is a completely different experience.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

I see that the Ho woman has a wildcard ride. I didn't know she was a rider herself? April Fool possibly?

https://fhoracing.com/faye-ho-set-to-ma ... 900-r-cup/
wull

Post by wull »

More than likely an April fools, her name isn’t on the entry list as far as I’m aware it’s a full grid. You never know though.