Trail Riding in Spain - A Review

All things dirty!! From tyres, to helmets, from GPS to map reading.
IanB

Trail Riding in Spain - A Review

Post by IanB »

Just got back from three days trail riding in the Matarrana District of Spain which is 2 & a bit hours away from Barcelona airport in a racing hire car.

Three of us booked with https://www.trailbiketours.com/ The proprietor Dave is a laid back ex pat Scott who lives in a traditional old property set in almond & olive groves near Valderrobres & you stay in his house. He's a top bloke & has a garage full of KTMs; I had a 350 EXC & my mates had a 450 & a 500 respectively.

The area was stunning, they say its like Tuscany without the people or traffic & I can vouch for this. On a typical day after breakfast you go out for a few hours riding, stop for an excellent coffee, a few more hours then a long lunch in a historic town, a few more hours & then back to base for tea & medals.

The trails were a mixture of mud, dusty gravel & stony ground & the scenery was absolutely spectacular. As was the food! Drinks in bars in the evening were cheap too which is always a pleasant surprise.

It's not a cheap few days away but if you do fancy having a go I'd happily recommend this company. We're planning a return in September so I guess that speaks for itself.
:thumbup:
Attachments
Spain 7.jpg
Spain 7.jpg (115.05 KiB) Viewed 995 times
spain 4.jpg
spain 4.jpg (165.41 KiB) Viewed 995 times
Spain 2.jpg
Spain 2.jpg (144.64 KiB) Viewed 995 times
IanB

Re: Trail Riding in Spain - A Review

Post by IanB »

some more piccies
Attachments
Spain trail 1.jpg
Spain trail 1.jpg (596.34 KiB) Viewed 991 times
spain 10.jpg
spain 10.jpg (147.4 KiB) Viewed 991 times
Spain 6.jpg
Spain 6.jpg (112.89 KiB) Viewed 991 times
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Was it gentle trail riding? Or some tricky bits?

And price?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

What experience levels do they cater for? Would a total beginner be able to manage?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

And in my case a short arse beginner. Tall bikes are not my friend.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:05 pm And in my case a short arse beginner. Tall bikes are not my friend.
If sir is (Ahem) a salad dodger like me, the seat does get magically lower.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:05 pm And in my case a short arse beginner. Tall bikes are not my friend.
I did a couple of Yamaha off-road days and the instructor (Barroi from Coventroi iirc) was probably the shortest-arsed of all of us, including the veritably elfin Bubble. You don't need to get both feet on the ground, just one. (You only need to know which one :lol: ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
IanB

Post by IanB »

The cost of accommodation, bike hire for 3 days & kit was about £875

Two of our group were novices to off road riding & found the trails we went on fine but challenging in a few places. @Yorick there are trails everywhere & I'm sure Dave would take great pleasure in taking you on some "technical" ones :thumbup:

Seat height is an issue for me with my 30in inside leg but once I got my leg over (the secret is to commit ..) I could get one foot down because the suspension settles. Its funny but you have to concentrate so hard wen riding off road that it becomes part of the riding ritual to look out for a little bit of high ground to dab your foot down when you want to stop.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

IanB wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:55 pm The cost of accommodation, bike hire for 3 days & kit was about £875

Two of our group were novices to off road riding & found the trails we went on fine but challenging in a few places. @Yorick there are trails everywhere & I'm sure Dave would take great pleasure in taking you on some "technical" ones :thumbup:

Seat height is an issue for me with my 30in inside leg but once I got my leg over (the secret is to commit ..) I could get one foot down because the suspension settles. Its funny but you have to concentrate so hard wen riding off road that it becomes part of the riding ritual to look out for a little bit of high ground to dab your foot down when you want to stop.
I don't think Yorik is thinking of going on a holiday like this. ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:02 pm
IanB wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:55 pm The cost of accommodation, bike hire for 3 days & kit was about £875

Yes I am. Why the stupid comment?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Yorick wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:04 pm

Because I'd expect you to sell holidays like that.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:24 pm
Yorick wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:04 pm
Because I'd expect you to sell holidays like that.
One of my best pals here does enduro tours. I'd be stepping on his toes if I did.
I offered a gentle weekend last year as a getaway from UK winter just for folk on here.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Looks mega.
matt

Post by matt »

Sounds great that does .