When/Where/Pics was the last time you rode your bike ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Horse

Re: When/Where/Pics was the last time you rode your bike ?

Post by Horse »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:51 pm I suspect a lot of it is due to budgets. If they don't use all the salt they've been allocated, next year they get less.
Almost the opposite.

IIRC A few years back, councils didn't do enough gritting/ salting, got grief for it. For subsequent winters they increased stock.

And since then they've been spreading at a hint of frost.

Damned if they do, damned ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:51 pm
Skub wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:01 pm but firing it down on bone dry roads night after night is a real fun killer.
I suspect a lot of it is due to budgets. If they don't use all the salt they've been allocated, next year they get less.
I remember being told the same while on a live during exercise during my time in the Army. If we hand any rounds back in the allocation for next year goes down so I ended up firing off thousands of rounds of belt ammunition through a GPMG. I had so much to get rid of I had to keep changing barrels and trying to cool them down again :mrgreen:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:38 am I remember being told the same while on a live during exercise during my time in the Army. If we hand any rounds back in the allocation for next year goes down so I ended up firing off thousands of rounds of belt ammunition through a GPMG. I had so much to get rid of I had to keep changing barrels and trying to cool them down again :mrgreen:
Sounds more satisfying than smashing crockery for fun. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
G.P

Post by G.P »

About 10 days ago

G.P

Post by G.P »

About 10 days ago

opps posted twice!
Last edited by G.P on Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skub

Post by Skub »

G.P wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:08 pm About 10 days ago

G.P wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:09 pm About 10 days ago

Did you go out twice? :P
Walt Whitman
G.P

Post by G.P »

Skub wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:19 pm
Did you go out twice? :P
Well as a matter of fact.....:)
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Crackney
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Out today and found some new around the area for when mates come here. I only went out to take a photo of a palm tree. Its great to have no salt on the roads and ride in a very pleasant 17°c. Great time of year to ride, as it gets too hot in summer to be bothered.
More Than One.jpg
More Than One.jpg (215.12 KiB) Viewed 300 times
Skub

Post by Skub »

I thought there was a window of opportunity today and the weather is set to go downhill for the next few weeks,so off I went.

The roads seemed ok at first,but it wasn't long before I was riding on pure white,salty roads. :( Anyway,I was out and I'd have to clean the bike,so I just blattered on for a couple of hours. It would be a great time to ride if it wasn't for those gritter bastards. :evil:

A couple of hours riding and a couple of hours doing a preliminary clean,it'll be another couple of hours tonight,I'd say.

If I'd known how bad it was,I'd not have bothered.

Walt Whitman
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Skub wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:29 pm I thought there was a window of opportunity today and the weather is set to go downhill for the next few weeks,so off I went.
Over here tomorrow's looking alright but the rest of the week involves sub zero temps so the gritters will be out again.
We had rain for a couple of hours earlier today hopefully washing away any recent grit,so with a bit of luck I'll get out for a spin tomorrow. :thumbup:
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Bustaspoke wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:47 pm
Skub wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:29 pm I thought there was a window of opportunity today and the weather is set to go downhill for the next few weeks,so off I went.
Over here tomorrow's looking alright but the rest of the week involves sub zero temps so the gritters will be out again.
We had rain for a couple of hours earlier today hopefully washing away any recent grit,so with a bit of luck I'll get out for a spin tomorrow. :thumbup:
I've been eyeing the very same windows of sunshine on the forecast for tomorrow - planning on getting an MOT done and then buggering off for a bit before the weather turns.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Roads my way are still white from the last lot a week or so ago and they are back out tonight.

I'm off last 2 weeks in March and had hoped to get loads of riding in, reckon I won't get out at all this rate
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Y'know, like if you really want to ride either a) get out there or b) get another bike that you don't mind getting salty and get out there or c) dob them in and use the car.

If you want to do it, do it. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:48 pm Y'know, like if you really want to ride either a) get out there or b) get another bike that you don't mind getting salty and get out there

That's why I bought the SV650 last year,unfotunately,unlike cars,these days I seem to have a problem running a bike even a cheap one on salty roads. :?
It also helps that I now have time on my hands so I can pick the least bad wintere's day to get the bike covered in crap, again...
Skub

Post by Skub »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:48 pm Y'know, like if you really want to ride either a) get out there or b) get another bike that you don't mind getting salty and get out there or c) dob them in and use the car.

But...if I can't be all angsty,conflicted and generally feeling sorry for myself here,there where can I? :cry:

I want the shitters to stop spoiling my fun. Throws bottom lip out.
Walt Whitman
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Generally speaking, if there's salt on the roads, it's for a reason (not always, I grant you) and that reason is low temperatures and risk of snow and/or ice. Do you really want to be riding a moto in those temperatures?

I don't.

And yes, i am a fully paid-up member of the FWBA.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Skub

Post by Skub »

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:04 pm Generally speaking, if there's salt on the roads, it's for a reason (not always, I grant you) and that reason is low temperatures and risk of snow and/or ice. Do you really want to be riding a moto in those temperatures?

I don't.

I get that. But...February was the driest here for 30 years. Bone dry roads for weeks on end,the roads would have been perfect to ride on, dry roads don't get icy at 1 or 2 degrees. Some nights it was 6 degrees and they still slarried it about.

I don't mind the cold at all,I have the gear,but salt is a deal breaker for me. I love those days after heavy rain and the roads are washed and dried,but they get in too quickly now,then it needs rain again.

Anyway,roll on the Spring,or a griiter strike. :thumbup:
Walt Whitman
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Skub wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:24 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:04 pm Generally speaking, if there's salt on the roads, it's for a reason (not always, I grant you) and that reason is low temperatures and risk of snow and/or ice. Do you really want to be riding a moto in those temperatures?

I don't.

I get that. But...February was the driest here for 30 years. Bone dry roads for weeks on end,the roads would have been perfect to ride on, dry roads don't get icy at 1 or 2 degrees. Some nights it was 6 degrees and they still slarried it about.

I don't mind the cold at all,I have the gear,but salt is a deal breaker for me. I love those days after heavy rain and the roads are washed and dried,but they get in too quickly now,then it needs rain again.

Anyway,roll on the Spring,or a griiter strike. :thumbup:
Yeah, completely agree. I was looking at the LC and looking at the roads after the recent rain and thinking should I? But I hesitated and out came the f'n gritting wagons again...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

This morning's commitment went quicker than expected, the weather had lived up to the forecast and the roads looked really quite clean on the way home so I whipped up to get a quick MOT & head out for a while. Just as I sat down for the test I had messages saying that my youngest daughter was in the sick-bay at school and would probably have to come home...

Never mind, good to get out and at least the MOT's sorted.