What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by ZRX61 »

Cop finally left about 2pm or so. More than one person in the street has wondered if his wife finally had enough of his shit & beat the fucker to death. There's not a day when there isn't a shouting match going on over there.
Fairly quiet today though. silver lining etc...

Bizarre part this afternoon was someone showed up with a bird cage that you could have housed an ostrich in & left it in the middle of their lawn. About an hour later someone else showed up & took it away.
Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Mussels wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:48 pm Today I listened to the HR lady casually drop into conversation that we will be doing unconscious bias training. This could get interesting.
What technique are they going to use to make you all unconscious?

Does she realise that there's a lot of unconscious bias towards HR people? :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:26 am Cop finally left about 2pm or so. More than one person in the street has wondered if his wife finally had enough of his shit & beat the fucker to death. There's not a day when there isn't a shouting match going on over there.
Fairly quiet today though. silver lining etc...

Bizarre part this afternoon was someone showed up with a bird cage that you could have housed an ostrich in & left it in the middle of their lawn. About an hour later someone else showed up & took it away.
FFS get a job man. or a life... one of the two
David

Post by David »

Slenver wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:47 pm I hired a log splitter for the weekend. I had a massive pile of logs that I chainsawed 2 years ago and needed to split.

OMFG, I'm a broken man. A few friends commented on social media posts saying 'You should just use an axe.' Well, fuck them. It's taken 2 solid days. It was not how it was in my mind's eye. It's all oak btw, so very heavy, very dense and, it seems, not happy about being split. The log splitter machine thingy failed on several occasions to actually split the stuff. I reckon it'd take me a year with an axe.

But anyway, all done. I ran out of space on my pallets so there's another huge pile out of shot. And they may look small in the photo, but the back row at least is all about 18" long. My blisters have got blisters.

We bought a electric/hydraulic splitter a couple of years ago. Best thing ever!
If it stalls out (as they do), let the ram return home and turn your log or swap it end to end. Usually there is an "in" iyswim.
A few just wont split, but that is what chainsaws are for.
BTW, if you had split that with an axe :-
a.you would be knackered
b. you would have a blunt axe.
c. you would have detached retina from the shock.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Had a Covid test. Bloody hell, that cotton bud goes up your nose so far I thought it was scratching the inside of my skull.

Got a back-handed compliment from the nurse. 'That went in easy. Probably because you have a large nose' :wtf:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mussels wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:48 pm Today I listened to the HR lady casually drop into conversation that we will be doing unconscious bias training. This could get interesting.
I've got a 2.5 hour webinar for that. I dont even know what it is, so any bias I have will deffo be unconscious! :think:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

What is unconscious bias? Are the training you to do it? Or not to do it?

Yambo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:31 am
What technique are they going to use to make you all unconscious?

Does she realise that there's a lot of unconscious bias towards HR people? :D
I thought bias towards HR was generally very conscious!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

gremlin wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:40 pm Had a Covid test. Bloody hell, that cotton bud goes up your nose so far I thought it was scratching the inside of my skull.
I've got one Saturday morning, I've got hand surgery booked for next Thursday so have to "self isolate" between the test and then.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Noggin wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:20 pm What is unconscious bias? Are the training you to do it? Or not to do it?
It's where they pay an unqualified consultant to use psychobabble to tell us we are all racist. The idea being if we believe we are unconsciously racist we will favour ethnic minorities more, which in my mind is racist but apparently it's good racist.
The test it is based on has a 50% accuracy rate, so as accurate as flipping a coin to decide if you are racist. (The test is valid for what it was designed for but some people have appropriated it for their own agenda)
It's the same training MPs are being slated for refusing to do, it has no scientific basis and is being done purely to show the company is woke.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mussels wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:30 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:20 pm What is unconscious bias? Are the training you to do it? Or not to do it?
It's where they pay an unqualified consultant to use psychobabble to tell us we are all racist. The idea being if we believe we are unconsciously racist we will favour ethnic minorities more, which in my mind is racist but apparently it's good racist.
The test it is based on has a 50% accuracy rate, so as accurate as flipping a coin to decide if you are racist. (The test is valid for what it was designed for but some people have appropriated it for their own agenda)
It's the same training MPs are being slated for refusing to do, it has no scientific basis and is being done purely to show the company is woke.
Ah. Kinda what I wondered then! Shame the world is going that way
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mussels wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:30 pm It's where they pay an unqualified consultant to use psychobabble to tell us we are all racist. The idea being if we believe we are unconsciously racist we will favour ethnic minorities more, which in my mind is racist but apparently it's good racist.
Looks like some people need it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-54281111

A black barrister mistaken for a defendant three times in one day has received an apology from court officials.

She lodged a formal complaint after being challenged by a security officer, a solicitor and a clerk.
Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS) apologised for the "totally unacceptable behaviour".
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Dropped bike off for first service and am now on the way to collect it, but the trains are all to cock as national grid/UKPN carelessly let one of their 132000 volt cables fall on the rails earlier.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
hawker

Post by hawker »

What have I done today? Had my fractured left arm checked and re-cast! Disappointing because I was hoping the cast would be removed not just replaced. But the x rays do show healing o be present and fortunately the open wound where the sutures burst two weeks ago has not become infected! That was a serious concern of mine so I am very relieved. t still hurts a fair bit but I can cope with that, knowing it is healing. It is very frustrating not to be able to get out cycling again yet and certainly could not do anything useful at the gym so I am doing my best to be a patient, errm, patient and have crossed fingers for four weeks when I am due back.
resized wrist.jpg
resized wrist.jpg (63.8 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
Today's x ray. The black lines visible are the fracture lines, much narrower than a couple of weeks ago and a slight bulge of white above those is new bone bridging the gaps. = Good stuff!
IThe latest cast is due to stay on for four weeks. Hmm, okay but having seen the x ray I can understand their decision!
:thumbup:
The plate should be there for life...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nice pics !!!!
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Was planning to catch up on my napping by staying in bed. The air force had other ideas & laid down a boom that made me think we were having an earthquake at 9.20am
Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Slightly gutted I’m not at home. There’s been about 30cm of snow in resort!!! And I’m missing it!!

But, I went for a walk this morning as it was sunny. Just leaving the shop I’d walked to and got a text from some friends - are you there, we’re passing in 20 mins on way to resort so could come and see you!!

I was at the Centre but there was a Cafè by the shop so they met me there!!! Blooming fab to see good friends! He was in hospital during lockdown to have a tumour removed, then back in again, when I came here for rehab, to deal with a serious issue with the surgery Didn’t get to see either of them then as he was in Lyon hospital, so a bit far for his wife to visit after seeing him

But they were driving back to resort ready for a follow up consultant appointment this week and stopped to say hi

So so good to see lovely people. Even if only for 40 mins!! Happy day!
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

I have a small garden which I try to keep fairly wildlife friendly and, therefore, don't use any pesticides or weedkillers. Any deading of living things has to be done manually and normally only to those who are actively chomping all my fruit and vegetables. I'm happy to share but if they don't leave me anything to eat, those caught in the act have to go. Despite having a phobia of wiggly, slimy, invertebrates, I accept their environmental role so have countless numbers of slugs, snails, worms, maggoty things, happily living in my garden. Some of the lucky ones get constant feeds in the compost bin. If I'm expecting to see the little critters, I can normally keep the full-on screaming panic at bay, but not this morning.

In the garden there is what used to be a pond ( more like a 2-feet deep puddle really ) but through neglect and some leaks in the fibre-glass liner, it has become a sludge trap for any rubbish that falls in it. I don't include one of the neighbour's children as rubbish although he was covered in the stuff when he climbed out.
Today, I decided to start clearing out the smelly stuff. During the process, bearing in mind my aforementioned phobia, I saw something black wet and wiggly at the bottom and identified it as a leech. With any kind of presence of mind I may have offered it to the local hospital to use for medical treatments but by the time I'd calmed down, the leech had gone. This means when I go back to finish the job IT WILL STILL BE THERE, LURKING, WAITING TO AMBUSH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Do you live near Romney marsh? That's where you are most likely to find ones that will feed on you.
Are you sure it was a leech? Hungry ones I've seen look nothing like what you see in most photos, they are more like a lean caterpillar that's great at long jump.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

highly recommended by Dr Hoffmann of Stuttgart.....
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

No, it was definitely a black leech, not any kind of black snake.