Cat D, N etc.

Anything you like about motorbikes
Skub

Re: Cat D, N etc.

Post by Skub »

No problems with Cat D. My ZZR was a financial write-off when I bought it. Insured just as normal. Dunno what a Cat N is...
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Skub

Post by Skub »

inewham wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:16 pm
Skub wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:15 pm ... Dunno what a Cat N is...
New name for Cat D as far as i can tell
Ah,all is good then. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

You may have trouble trading it or even with a private sale to someone who's picky - they will try to beat you down.

If you just intend to ride it yourself for the next n years, not an issue, of course :)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Cat N is the new name for Cat D ..... Non structural damage such as cosmetics and bodywork etc. The other one that was C is now Cat S for structural damage which is obviously more serious.

My Fazer was a Cat D/N as it was uneconomic to repair some bodywork damage with new bits so the previous owner fixed it himself with fibreglass etc and saved the money and the bike > the fact is was Cat D/N meant the owner priced it below the normal year/mileage price by a few hundred quid so i got a bargain for what is basically a work bike :thumbup:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I'm sure on confused etc there is a question that say's has the bike ever been written off, so I presume you need to declare it but being D/N I presume most will be fine with it just probably not pay out as much in a claim?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:42 am I'm sure on confused etc there is a question that say's has the bike ever been written off, so I presume you need to declare it but being D/N I presume most will be fine with it just probably not pay out as much in a claim?
The MID will show between insurers if its ever been written off as i wouldnt have known if the seller hadnt told me it was a cat D .... there was no question on it asking me on confused dot com as thats the one i usually use
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

I owned my 900SS for 10yrs before I knew it was a CAT D write off. It was only when Iccy expressed an interest in buying it that I paid for a check and it came back as a cosmetic write off. Turns out itt had been dropped at low speed in the late 90s and the cost of a new fairing panel was worth more than the bike was back then.

I sold it privately with full disclosure for nearly as much as I paid for it.
G.P

Post by G.P »

IanB recently bought a Ducati 1000DS which was CAT N/D. Absolutely immaculate and paid around a grand under market price for a non write off. He's just sold it and made £500 on it.
No probs on insurance etc but they are cheaper and you probably wouldn't get a dealer giving you a trade in worth having...