What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by gremlin »

Horse wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:25 pm
Mussels wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:58 am
Horse wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:58 am Right you lot. I expect applause, saucepans, the full Thursday cacophony!

First session out as a Community First Responder
Shoudn't you be complaining about claps not paying bills?
This is a volunteer role, so 'no'.
And you're worth every penny. :thumbup:

;)

In all sincerity though, well done. Proper job. I've been first aiding (is that a term?) for over thirty years, but you've taken it above and beyond. Top man.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:28 pm In all sincerity though, well done. Proper job. I've been first aiding (is that a term?) for over thirty years, but you've taken it above and beyond. Top man.

TBH, it's a bit daunting. One of the things the instructors said was "it's not a first aid course where you can call for help. You are the help".

Another illustrated section was 'recognising death' ie when not to commence CPR :( You don't get that on FAW courses.

And ditto on FAW. My qualification has just ended - continuous since 1985.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Horse wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:58 am Right you lot. I expect applause, saucepans, the full Thursday cacophony!

First session out as a Community First Responder

20230126_105936.jpg
You appear much less argumentative in the flesh. :P

Good onya btw.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yesterday I did 'first tracks' with some friends. Unfortunately, I didn't really one of them was a non skier when they booked it and the piste down is NOT beginner friendly!!

So, I spoke with the pisteurs at the top and I skied down at the back with Zoe and one of the pisteurs. Luckily, he was amazing - very calm and patient. She did only fall once, right at the top, and he helped her back up - I couldn't have done that as I don't have the balance or strength at the mo :( But after that one fall, with gentle ecouragement and patience from the two of us, she made it down. On the less daunting bits she was fine! But TBF, doing the Mira piste on the fourth morning of skiing (only three lessons!) was blooming awesome!!

Sadly, she bailed on going to do the second run, which meant she missed breakfast. Even more sad, I didn't hear my phone going as the SAP (lift company) woman had called to suggest we skied straight to breakfast. But, serious smiles all round.

And by not going for breakfast before the second run, I got to have a serious quick and fun run down the second time :D :D :D

Then, a mate from La Thuille over by Val D'Isere had been supposed to get a ticket for the first tracks but didn't :roll: So he came over anyway to ski. Once first tracks was over, I then skied with Jon for the day.

Today, we headed out early to meet another friend and skied around the resort for the day - well about 4.5 hours if you don't include time stopped for hot choc and then lunch!

Yesterday was probably a bit longer ski time!

I've had the best two days skiing that I can remember. Even pre broken leg I didn't ski this well! The lesson I had a couple of weeks before the accident has really paid off - skiing with people better than me and also concentrating on the technique as made so much difference :D :D

Looking forward to the next sunny day off :D :D

:bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:

Photos of the pistes! Cloud has been in the valley all day, still there now - but up here it's been bloody lovely :D :D

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:49 pm Yesterday I did 'first tracks' with some friends. Unfortunately, I didn't really one of them was a non skier when they booked it and the piste down is NOT beginner friendly!!

So, I spoke with the pisteurs at the top and I skied down at the back with Zoe and one of the pisteurs. Luckily, he was amazing - very calm and patient. She did only fall once, right at the top, and he helped her back up - I couldn't have done that as I don't have the balance or strength at the mo :( But after that one fall, with gentle ecouragement and patience from the two of us, she made it down. On the less daunting bits she was fine! But TBF, doing the Mira piste on the fourth morning of skiing (only three lessons!) was blooming awesome!!

Sadly, she bailed on going to do the second run, which meant she missed breakfast. Even more sad, I didn't hear my phone going as the SAP (lift company) woman had called to suggest we skied straight to breakfast. But, serious smiles all round.

And by not going for breakfast before the second run, I got to have a serious quick and fun run down the second time :D :D :D

Then, a mate from La Thuille over by Val D'Isere had been supposed to get a ticket for the first tracks but didn't :roll: So he came over anyway to ski. Once first tracks was over, I then skied with Jon for the day.

Today, we headed out early to meet another friend and skied around the resort for the day - well about 4.5 hours if you don't include time stopped for hot choc and then lunch!

Yesterday was probably a bit longer ski time!

I've had the best two days skiing that I can remember. Even pre broken leg I didn't ski this well! The lesson I had a couple of weeks before the accident has really paid off - skiing with people better than me and also concentrating on the technique as made so much difference :D :D

Looking forward to the next sunny day off :D :D

:bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:

Photos of the pistes! Cloud has been in the valley all day, still there now - but up here it's been bloody lovely :D :D

Nice white balance in yer pics. :thumbup: Most peoples snow pictures are horribly blue!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:40 am
Noggin wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:49 pm
Nice white balance in yer pics. :thumbup: Most peoples snow pictures are horribly blue!
Purely by accident!! I'm using an iPhone, relatively old! I do have a 'real' camera, but have yet to learn to use it (bought it just before I couldn't use my right arm properly - a bit of a challenge to get the camera to my eye until recently!!)

But, thank you :D :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Scud

Post by Scud »

Today I’ve done a bit of work this morning then had an afternoon in the tattooists where my daughter did some more work to the sleeve on my lady arm, she is doing it all freehand.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I guess its more what I haven't done lol. I was going to go out and view a bike and hopefully p/x my MT-09 against it. Turns out they are shut at the weekends? :wtf:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:30 am I guess its more what I haven't done lol. I was going to go out and view a bike and hopefully p/x my MT-09 against it. Turns out they are shut at the weekends? :wtf:
It's an omen. :shock:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Skub wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:35 pm
Taipan wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:30 am I guess its more what I haven't done lol. I was going to go out and view a bike and hopefully p/x my MT-09 against it. Turns out they are shut at the weekends? :wtf:
It's an omen. :shock:
Dont buy Chiense shite mate! :?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Bought some stuff in the Cotswold Outdoor shop. New boots, new day pack, some Smartwool socks. Came to pay and wafted my National Trust card in their direction. Whoosh! £41 off. Which was nice. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Dump trick , shopping for Sunday roast, dog walk with all 3 hounds, old hound insisted on coming so it was VERY slow, much stop and sniff. Twit hound rolled in something smelly which is now ingrained into his collar clasp........nice! Guess who is cleaning that out.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Two days ago I was down to have the morning off (go skiing!!) then drive, then driver tomorrow.

All change and I was in the office today for the first office Saturday since before Christmas!! Was kinda nice. Annoying to be reminded of just how little my colleague actually does (more obvious when sat next to her!) but it was nice to catch up and speak some french :D Boss had a go at me about something - not deserved but he's seriously tired and seriously stressed. So that's a conversation for next week when he's had some sleep!!

Also turns out I have to drive tomorrow :( That'll be a 12 hour day. By the end of Tuesday I'll have done almost an extra weeks hours this month. Good for the bank balance, but not exactly what I'd signed up for!! Another conversation to have with the boss!!

Chilling now ready to go driving tomorrow!! :D :D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:50 pm wafted my National Trust card
The 'you know your old when' thread is thataway <------
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Arrived home.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Got a new (very old) hifi that my mother was chucking out.
Attachments
PXL_20230128_171312366.jpg
PXL_20230128_171312366.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 377 times
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:44 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:50 pm wafted my National Trust card
The 'you know your old when' thread is thataway <------
Meh. We're surrounded by NT places and they've started charging for some of the car parks for yompin' that we use on NT land ie where there isn't a house to visit. Bit of a no brainer really. Couple of trips to Cotswold Outdoor, couple of trips to a stately pile when we have visitors and a few car park fees and it's paid for itself. :thumbup:
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:21 pm Got a new (very old) hifi that my mother was chucking out.
The jury is out on whether B&O is 'hi-fi' but they've had the styling thing sorted for years. Probably fetch a few bob on eBay. :thumbup:

I remember their parallel tracking turntable. Nice idea but the mechanicals were a bit :hmmm:
Voltaire
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:31 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:21 pm Got a new (very old) hifi that my mother was chucking out.
The jury is out on whether B&O is 'hi-fi' but they've had the styling thing sorted for years. Probably fetch a few bob on eBay. :thumbup:

I remember their parallel tracking turntable. Nice idea but the mechanicals were a bit :hmmm:
The sticker on the amp says 1988 and the speakers say 1984 vintage, I remember my mum buying it new in the late 80's. It was very space age at the time, with it's touch sensitive panels.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:34 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:31 pm

The sticker on the amp says 1988 and the speakers say 1984 vintage, I remember my mum buying it new in the late 80's.
Well, the proof of the pudding as they say...get it cranked up! :thumbup:

I bet you there are fans out there that would be drooling at it.
Voltaire