Yamaha MT09-SP Demo Ride

Anything you like about motorbikes
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Yamaha MT09-SP Demo Ride

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

tricol wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:22 am Webuyanybike valued the bike at £4400. Guess I definitely know what I need to do now.

Agree with you @Count Steer about dealers and where they are going.
What year and mileage is it, that sounds at least £1500 under what it would sell for.
Honda Owner
tricol

Post by tricol »

It's a 2021, 5800 miles with a bunch of extras. And kept clean to @weeksy standards, if not more.

Looking at the used market for these, anywhere from low £6k's up to low £7k's. There's a couple just under £6k knocking about now. They've gone up in price brand new quite a bit now. Mine was £7195 list before options, the same bike now is £7895.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Skub

Post by Skub »

tricol wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:26 am And kept clean to @weeksy standards, if not more.
Can such a thing be possible? :shock:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Numnut

Post by Numnut »

A guy I've used before is Allenby Motorcycles in Chelmsford - I'm not sure he's that local for you... I've bought 2 bikes off him, and family have had another 2 or 3, but each time his px valuation has been pretty good. He might offer less as you won't be buying anything from him, but could still be worth a try.

https://www.allenbymotorcycles.co.uk/
tricol

Post by tricol »

Bit of progress. Spoke to Youles who would buy the bike back off me and not leave me out of pocket. Small result. So something I can consider.

Also been getting some insurance quotes. What a difference a postcode makes, eh?
Yamaha MT09 SP
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

tricol wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:27 pm Bit of progress. Spoke to Youles who would buy the bike back off me and not leave me out of pocket. Small result. So something I can consider.

Also been getting some insurance quotes. What a difference a postcode makes, eh?
In a good way ?

Well, WTF are we waiting for... if they'll buy it back.... it's a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :banana-wrench:
tricol

Post by tricol »

Yea, in a good way thankfully. I'm away for a few days from Thursday so I'll mull it all over. So it's either cut my loses with Youles and get the deal done now, or hang on a try and sell myself.
Yamaha MT09 SP
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

tricol wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:34 pm Yea, in a good way thankfully. I'm away for a few days from Thursday so I'll mull it all over. So it's either cut my loses with Youles and get the deal done now, or hang on a try and sell myself.
You need to move on from that aspect mate. You can't buy bikes and make a profit/non-loss in the same way you could a while ago. People are wankers, dealers want profit, Ebay is full of arseholes, so you accept the hit and move on. At the end of the day, once you've got your new toy and a few miles in, you'll have forgotten if you lost £200 or £500, but overall, who really cares. We're here to enjoy it and dwelling on "oh it's £300 more...." man lifes too short for that shit.
Selling yourself CAN work... but most people are buying from dealers due to Section17 etc, a bit of comeback, or buying on PCP, so people with £6000 sitting there to spend on a Trident, well, i'm afraid they're few and far between. It's a declining market of people into motorbikes and without being too harsh, not many of them want a Trident. You MAY get lucky and find the right buyer quickly... or we could be sitting here in July.
tricol

Post by tricol »

Yea, I get all that. I'm all for zero hassle and making life easier. The money part is stressful for me, I have history on that kind of thing, but at this moment it's not a problem.

It will likely go back to Youles and I'll have the MT in the garage sooner rather than later.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

tricol wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:59 pm

It will likely go back to Youles and I'll have the MT in the garage sooner rather than later.
Is the right decision :)
Skub

Post by Skub »

When I was thinking of selling or trading my 10R,I know I could've got a better price selling private,but when I factored in the folk I'd have to entertain wanting a test ride,wanting to haggle,the trade in option looked more attractive.

The dealer weighed in with a van and took away the Ten,then delivered the new bike. Payment was electronic. Totally fuss free. All that has to be worth losing a few quid on a private sale. It was to me,anyway.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Skub wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:37 pm When I was thinking of selling or trading my 10R,I know I could've got a better price selling private,but when I factored in the folk I'd have to entertain wanting a test ride,wanting to haggle,the trade in option looked more attractive.

The dealer weighed in with a van and took away the Ten,then delivered the new bike. Payment was electronic. Totally fuss free. All that has to be worth losing a few quid on a private sale. It was to me,anyway.
Exactly that. I was offered £3500 for my 690 I reckon I could have sold it private for £4k maybe a little more. But I was getting a top deal on the Suzuki, it was all done as part of the deal, I didn't have to give my address to potential thieves, I didn't have to haggle with someone better at it than me, I didn't have to do an advert or talk to idiots. The dealer turned up with the GSXS, took my 690 and that was that. The piece of mind was worth £500 to me.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I never had trouble selling my GSXR1000s in spring. Looked tidy with brand new tyres.
The 2 with shagged motors, I part-exed :D
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

The more I look at the MT-09 SP, the more I like it. What I hadn't quite realised is that the wet weight (full fuel and oil tanks) is quoted as 189kg. This is really, really light, especially for a bike with nigh on 120 bhp on tap. Weight is increasingly a consideration for me as I get older and lose muscle mass. The trusty (and somewhat lardy) old VFR is becoming increasingly borderline with its 220kg+ wet weight and (real world) 85-90 bhp, so its long term presence in the fleet is looking somewhat uncertain. Add in the MT-09 SP's quality suspenders and the drawbridge to Chateau Mango is quivering...

As long as I approach it from behind (always a preferred mode) I think that a long and fulfilling relationship could be a possibility... :D
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

tricol wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:22 am Webuyanybike valued the bike at £4400. Guess I definitely know what I need to do now.

Agree with you @Count Steer about dealers and where they are going.
They valued my MT09 at £4800 and CMC motorcycles was £5200. They al need even healthier profits today with the rising cost of living which affects dealers too.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:57 pm What I hadn't quite realised is that the wet weight (full fuel and oil tanks) is quoted as 189kg. This is really, really light, especially for a bike with nigh on 120 bhp on tap. Weight is increasingly a consideration for me Add in the MT-09 SP's quality suspenders and the drawbridge to Chateau Mango is quivering...
That's why I was weighing up buying one the other month,the spec is ideal for me but I just can't get over how ugly (in my eyes) they look so I decided to keep the Street Triple. & spend what I've saved on petrol & holidays :thumbup:
Other people may have a different opinion & that's good too.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yeah, I can't really get past the looks either. Brilliant bike, pushes all my buttons except the visual one. Is it too much to ask that some aftermarket supplier comes up with an alternative headlight cowl/assembly? The bar is set ridiculously low...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I don't see any issue with it personally and looks in terms of bike choice is arguably secondary in my thoughts over performance.

For me, if i were throwing the wallet about on a motorcycle.. it'd be the same engine but the retro XSR, however from when i owned one, that wasn't exactly universally loved either.

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I never liked the look of the gen 1 with its funny rear light or the cyclops gen 3, but loved the mini mt10 looks of the gen 2. But, tbh, if i was going again i'd probably go for the gen3 as I'm used to the headlight now and they are a better bike everywhere i think? As much as looks are important, bikes are ultimately for riding ,not viewing, and the MT09 is a fecking cracker! :thumbup:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Re that headlight...never mind the looks, how well does it work? If it's ugly and doesn't work very well that's a bit meh, if it's ugly and works brilliantly, well, the bike as a whole isn't exactly the Gina Lollobrigida of the bike world is it? :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire