This chest infection 'thing'

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr Moofo

Re: This chest infection 'thing'

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:21 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:20 pm
JamJar wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:15 pm
If you are coughing up blood then I think you should see a doctor!
It may be easier just to go out and die on the back lawn.
The queues at A&E are immense

In seriousness - if you are coughing up stuff that looks like lumps of liver - then get to a hospital . If it is just a tad of pinkness here and there - it is the physical hacking that in break capillaries
It's OK, he's never even paid any Subs.... :)
Ok - then back lawn it is!
Ant

Post by Ant »

A better nights sleep last night I think, still coughing up thick juicy green gunge. As I've not really had an appetite, it's been nearly a week since I've had a poo! I've lost just over half a stone too, so not all so bad then.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

We had some friends over just after new year, a bit snively, now guess who has a streaming head cold.
So, what's the 3rd sticky going to be?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

In case anyone is desperate to get their mitts on Lemsip, given the apparent complete absence on the High Street, I got 2 boxes delivered within a week by Amazon (the packaging isn't the same as the boxes you'd get here so I assume it's from their EU facility or the packets contain chalk from China :D ). I also found my 'it's the end of the world as we know it' stash of stuff* from when the plague first hit so if anyone needs a box of short-dated ie end Jan 2023 Lemsip I can provide. :thumbup:

* Including a large bottle of vodka either as a make-do antiseptic/hand wash or as a mental anaesthetic for when it all got a bit too much. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

You want to try finding the blackcurrant stuff, I can't stand the normal stuff, rarer than hens teeth it is, bloody Thatcher.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:24 pm You want to try finding the blackcurrant stuff, I can't stand the normal stuff, rarer than hens teeth it is, bloody Thatcher.
TBH you'd be as well with 2 Sudafed tabs and a hot Ribena. (Same with the lemon one, squeeze a lemon, add honey and hot water, drop 2 Sudafeds). For the most part the hot drink thing is psychological.
Voltaire
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:24 pm You want to try finding the blackcurrant stuff, I can't stand the normal stuff, rarer than hens teeth it is, bloody Thatcher.
Ah, Blacksip. I much prefer it.
Count Steer wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:29 pm TBH you'd be as well with 2 Sudafed tabs and a hot Ribena. (Same with the lemon one, squeeze a lemon, add honey and hot water, drop 2 Sudafeds). For the most part the hot drink thing is psychological.
I imagine that's true for most illnesses, though I get regular bouts of tonsillitis and swear by Blacksip. My missus reckons it's all in the mind, but the pouring of hot paracetamol straight over the tonsils seems to work wonders, and it makes sense. I think.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

One of the docs on Radio 4 the other day said paracetamol is not very effective for sore throat at all...ibuprofen is most effective apparently.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Kneerly Down wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:25 pm One of the docs on Radio 4 the other day said paracetamol is not very effective for sore throat at all...ibuprofen is most effective apparently.
Makes sense as ibuprofen is an NSAID ie anti-inflammatory and sore throats are usually 'inflamed'. Main advantage of paracetamol is it's safer to take over extended periods as a painkiller.

For some reason paracetamol works better in combination with caffeine so some versions have night and day options as caffeine at night isn't a particularly good idea.
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Roomie went to Urgent Care last week owing to this chest infection *thing*. They gave her antibiotics & it was gone within a day
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:57 pm Roomie went to Urgent Care last week owing to this chest infection *thing*. They gave her antibiotics & it was gone within a day
Pretty good these medical types eh? :D

PS I'm not sure 'roomie' is a well understood term here. They'll think you're sharing a room. :lol:
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:18 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:57 pm Roomie went to Urgent Care last week owing to this chest infection *thing*. They gave her antibiotics & it was gone within a day
Pretty good these medical types eh? :D

PS I'm not sure 'roomie' is a well understood term here. They'll think you're sharing a room. :lol:
ok, *housey* :)
She's a nurse, still took her 5 or 6 days to go see a Dr...
Ant

Post by Ant »

This bug is causing weight loss like there's no tomorrow. I've lost a stone now.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:29 pm TBH you'd be as well with 2 Sudafed tabs and a hot Ribena. (Same with the lemon one, squeeze a lemon, add honey and hot water, drop 2 Sudafeds). For the most part the hot drink thing is psychological.
I prefer https://fireballuk.com/ :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

It's going round over here as well :(
Popped into my local shop on Friday, got a few metres inside when the worker starts coughing her guts up in between sneezes, no mask on and the till is right beside the entrance/exit so I'm pretty certain to get a faceful of germs as I leave, if I didn't already get enough on the way in. Felt a bit rough the next day but nothing major, same again Sunday just a few sneezes in the morning. Put on my hoodie and jacket to visit a mate, opened his gate to see him sunbathing, sat there in a t-shirt with his wife in a vest and shorts and they're both asking 'WTF are you wearing?' Ooops :oops:
Anyway, it's been a slow burner, I initially though I'd gotten away with just a cold but yesterday felt really lethargic and by the evening the cough had arrived to compliment the rivers of snot.
Normally I'd just get out with the dogs and the cold air does wonders, but it's been raining and cold since Tuesday so not a chance of that happenning. I usually shake these things off pretty quickly but this one feels like it's here for a while.
I've found that Peppermint oil in boiling water does a great job of clearing the nose but be careful, a few drops is all that's needed.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Antibiotics did their stuff for me. :thumbup:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

You lot have frit me up so much that I went and blagged a flu jab yesterday. No way am I being offed by a fluey pneumonia and adding another tally on the winter-collateral list.
Tigs

Post by Tigs »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:29 pm
TBH you'd be as well with 2 Sudafed tabs and a hot Ribena. (Same with the lemon one, squeeze a lemon, add honey and hot water, drop 2 Sudafeds). For the most part the hot drink thing is psychological.
Ribena is not as it was. It is synthetic and grim. Sad times.

I feel like the lurgy is lurking .. my throat is abit itchy and this thread has made me want old school ribena.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

At the first sign of anything resembling a cold we (successfully normally) fight it off with a few of these.

DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Last time I had the proper flu I took one of these in desperation

... and it knocked me out cold halfway through my dinner.