This chest infection 'thing'

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

This chest infection 'thing'

Post by Count Steer »

Quite a few people on here have mentioned having it, friends and family likewise. Local supermarkets pharma shelves look like paracetamol eating locusts have visited. Cold and flu remedies? Not a one. (In a sort of 'displacement shopping' activity, having failed to buy those, people seem to have consoled themselves buying everything from Calpol to suppositories :shock: )

The news is all about flu and Covid but there seems to be a 3rd plague going on.

Who has got it/had it?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
MingtheMerciless

Re: This chest infection 'thing'

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Mrs M had the “child bug” chesty cough, runny nose and flu symptoms for about a month before Christmas, she even had a week off work it was that bad (she’s always bringing germs home as she works with kids). I had a few days on lemsip feeling a bit ropey but fine other than that.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

My bil and sil have had something grim like that for the past month. Bil has been coughing so hard he thinks he's done himself a hernia mischief.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Yup Mrs had it for best part of a month, terrible cough which was worse than when she had Covid and sore throat/cold. Daughter caught it last week of school and lost her voice from it (blessing :lol: ) but she recovered within a week. I expected me and the boy to get it but so far so good fingers crossed. Know lots of friends/relatives all with the same symptoms.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

In bed Christmas Day and not out till 6 days later, still not right but good enough to be up and out.
Cough, sickness, temp, headache etc. Gave in and called docs after a few days and they said not a lot we can do just rest as it’s a virus but keep eye on sats.
I’m sure it’s because we haven’t been mixing for a couple of years so our immunity is a bit down.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Most of our house.

- Child was off school for a week and coughing horribly for 3-4 weeks total

- I've been coughing for about 4 weeks now, also led to sore throat. Didn't eat for 2 days at the peak, but otherwise only felt slightly ill

- Missus was the worst, now on week 5 I think, coughing up blood, A&E, the lot. Also led to ear infection, burst one eardrum, the other almost. Nearly totally deaf for a week or so, slowly improving now.

Not really known anything so lingering before. I'm usually in and out of anything within 4 or 5 days.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yup, I have it. Had a cold which I normally shake off same day or next but it turned into this. Coughing so hard I've puked several times and just can't clear the mucus off of my chest. Dunno if its my asthma making thing worse but i have really struggled to breathe. Couldn't sleep or lay down with it so dozed on the settee in an upright position for 2 nights.

Ended up ringing 111 as my breathing is so bad. Got prescribed antibiotics but couldn't get them anywhere that was open and now my wife has mislaid the prescription slip! Hopefully Docs will reissue today? Never taken meds for something like this before but I've really had enough of not being able to breathe properly!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mrs. G, her dad and her sister had the same 'thing': sore throat, headache, upset stomach and generally feeling like crap for the best part of a week. Lingering on now in the form of a cough and feeling washed-out.

I can't help but think that nigh-on two years of avoiding any human contact has left all our immune systems distinctly not match fit...
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I have it - had the beginning software it prior to Christmas - but thought northing of it. But it has hit with a vengeance since NYE.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Me too, caught it at the airport I think, my daughter also caught it travelling a week later.

Started just like covid, blinding headache, then a cold with a nasty chest/sinus infection that seems to be clearing up after 2.5 weeks, but it's left me feeling like I could sleep forever and my first run on Monday was a full two minutes off my usual time and I felt like I was going to puke.

It's defo another virus, but I don't think anyone has the balls to announce it.
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Have you guys tested for Covid?
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Potter wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:06 am Me too, caught it at the airport I think, my daughter also caught it travelling a week later.

Started just like covid, blinding headache, then a bit of a cold with a nasty chest/sinus infection that seems to be clearing up after 2.5 weeks, but it's left me feeling like I could sleep forever and my first run on Monday was a full two minutes off my usual time and I felt like I was going to puke.

the fatigue thing in impressive - walking up stairs is a challenge. And I have had to get out the ventalin for the first time in 3 years
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Potter wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:06 amseems to be clearing up after 2.5 weeks
I'm sure everyone's different, but the thing that's been unusual for me is that mine started to clear up after 2-3 weeks, then just kicked off again and got worse for the next week. Now 'clearing up' again after 4 weeks, no idea if it'll get better or worse though.

That said, it could be sensitive to alcohol :)
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

JamJar wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:07 am Have you guys tested for Covid?
We did in the first week as it seemed a good match, but were both negative. Not tested since but seemed no point.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yes negative.
Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:08 am
Potter wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:06 am Me too, caught it at the airport I think, my daughter also caught it travelling a week later.

Started just like covid, blinding headache, then a bit of a cold with a nasty chest/sinus infection that seems to be clearing up after 2.5 weeks, but it's left me feeling like I could sleep forever and my first run on Monday was a full two minutes off my usual time and I felt like I was going to puke.

the fatigue thing in impressive - walking up stairs is a challenge. And I have had to get out the ventalin for the first time in 3 years
I went to bed at 6pm last night, I didn't have the best sleep but I didn't get up until 6am, and even then I had to drag myself out of bed.
I feel like I want to sleep around the clock.

As I said I did manage a run on Monday morning, but I really had to push through it, for most of the route I thought I might faint, I considered stopping after half a mile and walking back but I'm stubborn.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Slenver wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:08 am
Potter wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:06 amseems to be clearing up after 2.5 weeks
I'm sure everyone's different, but the thing that's been unusual for me is that mine started to clear up after 2-3 weeks, then just kicked off again and got worse for the next week. Now 'clearing up' again after 4 weeks, no idea if it'll get better or worse though.

That said, it could be sensitive to alcohol :)
That's exactly how I was with covid the first time around in 2020.

After 2.5 weeks this time around my cough seems to be clearing up but the headaches and fatigue are wiping me out.
Taff

Post by Taff »

I seem to get this type of illness every 4 or 5 years, I've had for the last month or 6 weeks and haven't managed to get out to do anything fun. No gym or MTB for weeks.

I tested positive for COVID on the 1st and I feel a bit better than I did a couple of weeks ago 🤔
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yes, twice but clear each time. I've had covid twice and for me, it was a breeze. This is much worse and very debilitating!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Started just like covid, blinding headache, then a cold with a nasty chest/sinus infection that seems to be clearing up after 2.5 weeks, but it's left me feeling like I could sleep forever and my first run on Monday was a full two minutes off my usual time and I felt like I was going to puke.

The tiredness/fatigue/lethargy thing that seems a reasonably common factor is a definite virus indicator. If people are testing clear for Covid, the next candidate is flu but most that I know that are ill are jabbed so either the flu jab formulation has missed the mark this year (it wasn't like this last winter as far as I can see) or it's something else. I'm not convinced that it's our weakened immune systems because we've all been living like hermits. People haven't seemed to give a toss about mixing and mingling for ages now.

I'm just surprised, given the sample here, that there hasn't been anything apart from flu and Covid hitting the news.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

The ever loving stepson came around xmas day coughing and spluttering after partying in Brum.
Now me and the wife are housebound with it!
I did mention to him at the time that he should have just gone straight home, but no, mother wanted him there.
In my day, when I worked in NHS, first sign of anything vaguely contagious, you stayed home and didnt bring it into work. Not rocket science is it?