Tumble drier vent

What non motorbike related things are you doing, making, building, planning or designing
Skub

Tumble drier vent

Post by Skub »

I need to bang out a hole to vent the tumble drier in the garage,do you lot have any tips or tricks to make my life easier?

I had planned to hack away at it with a hole saw and a chisel,but there may be other more cunning/less crude methods to skin the feline.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
mangocrazy

Re: Tumble drier vent

Post by mangocrazy »

What size hole do you need to make? I'd start with a pilot hole using a long masonry bit, 6 or 8mm then follow up with a diamond hole cutter in the nearest oversize. Drill from inside to outside and when you're within about an inch of breaking through start in from the outside to meet the hole you've partially drilled. That way you avoid making an unsightly mess of the outside brickwork.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I haven't bought the vent kit as yet,so hole size will be dependent on that. It'll be pretty standard,I'd imagine.

I also thought about chain drilling around the diameter of the hole,it would save me buying a holesaw in a size I'll probably never use again.
Walt Whitman
Horse

Post by Horse »

Skub wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:41 pm I also thought about chain drilling around the diameter of the hole,it would save me buying a holesaw in a size I'll probably never use again.
IIRC Electrician who rewired my house said that the correct-sized diamond drill was (then) £125, but had to be charged at £5 per wall due to the rate it wore out.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
crust

Post by crust »

Most tumble drier vent kits are 100mm nominal, so you'll need a 105mm hole saw, about £15.

By the time you've chain drilled all the way around a 100mm diameter, bashed out the centre, smoother the outside diameter to stop it ripping the flexiduct you'll be well regretting not spending the dosh.
Skub

Post by Skub »

crust wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:34 pm Most tumble drier vent kits are 100mm nominal, so you'll need a 105mm hole saw, about £15.

By the time you've chain drilled all the way around a 100mm diameter, bashed out the centre, smoother the outside diameter to stop it ripping the flexiduct you'll be well regretting not spending the dosh.
Yeah,no doubt. :lol:
Walt Whitman
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

crust wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:34 pm Most tumble drier vent kits are 100mm nominal, so you'll need a 105mm hole saw, about £15.

Will a £15 one be suitable for brick? Most of the cheaper end of the range look like wood, metal and generally softer stuff. There are a number of 102mm ones available. I wouldn't want to use a hole saw that size with a drill with no clutch either, but getting the right gear is easier than nibbling the hole out with a masonry bit and chisel. (Hire the kit for a day?).

Is it a single skin wall Skub?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Get one that has a water tank. No hole required. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Bowman

Post by Bowman »

A masonry core drill is the best option. I could be worth checking how much to hire one. There's no making good afterwards and is a 20 min job. If your in s wales you can borrow mine, although its125mm.
Bowman

Post by Bowman »

As Cs said, I wouldn't use a core bit in a conventional drill, it'll either knacker the drill or your wrist.
Bowman

Post by Bowman »

Dry diamond ones are the best, the impact type will blow the brick on the outside.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Buy a heat pump tumble dryer, no vent so job done.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Hire a diamond one and the drill to do it also.
They usually charge a fee per day and additional based on the wear measured on the diamond sections.
Wear a decent dust mask, you don't want silicosis when yer old (snigger) er.
As mentioned do it most of the way through from one side then go to the other to finish the job off so it doesn't bhrst the brick out and look manky.
Theres usually a SDS drill bit to establish the centre that the arbor in the centre of the core bit can be guided by, you drill that through then use the core bit.

Its not a holesaw though, thats a different tool, used more for timber and sometimes metal. Masonry knackers the teeth on holesaws.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yeah, diamond core drill....do not use hammer action. Patience is a virtue. Unfortunately Skubs is in Norn Iron otherwise he could borrow all my 'used once' stuff. :thumbup:
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:59 pm Is it a single skin wall Skub?
Yeah,just a garage wall,so shouldn't be too much drama.
Walt Whitman
demographic

Post by demographic »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:19 pm Yeah, diamond core drill....do not use hammer action. Patience is a virtue. Unfortunately Skubs is in Norn Iron otherwise he could borrow all my 'used once' stuff. :thumbup:
Got one kicking around here also, can't remember offhand the size but 117mm springs to mind.
I'm not keen on using a normal (well SDS just on rotary) drill for em cos they take a bit of a toll on the drills.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

demographic wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:41 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:19 pm Yeah, diamond core drill....do not use hammer action. Patience is a virtue. Unfortunately Skubs is in Norn Iron otherwise he could borrow all my 'used once' stuff. :thumbup:
Got one kicking around here also, can't remember offhand the size but 117mm springs to mind.
I'm not keen on using a normal (well SDS just on rotary) drill for em cos they take a bit of a toll on the drills.
I had a Titan SDS but it weighed a ton and had no clutch so I sold it on and bought a chunky Makita mains powered, with clutch. (Being non-battery, the price was pleasantly pitched :thumbup: ).
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

I've a cheap SDS like this one. It has seen little use up until now,should do the job.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erh7 ... lsrc=aw.ds
Walt Whitman
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I'd be checking out hire costs of a diamond core drill and arbour/masonry bit and compare with how much the same costs from Screwfix or other discount sheds. Your SDS drill should be up to it if it's only single brick. Don't use it on hammer, though.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Oh and don't use it on hammer, I'm surprised nobodys mentioned it yet.