The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

Post by cheb »

I wear them and am not that bothered about what I look like.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:12 am I'm a hat man (that sounds like it should have another meaning aside from a fellow who likes hats) and I have a varied collection, in the hallway at the moment on the hatstand is a bowler hat, a couple of newsboy caps and a pork pie. In the wardrobe are a few more newsboys, four or five trapper hats, a couple of trilbys and loads of assorted beanies and stuff.

One of the things I miss about living in a bustling city is that I can't wear my bowler, well I could but it would get too much attention.
Step into the street in London in my bowler and Burberry short Kensington and you'll hardly get a second glance, dress like that in a village in rural Lancashire and you'll get all kinds of unwanted attention - which is ironic really because it was designed as a gamekeepers hat and it would have been very common here once.

The whole top shelf of a three long wardrobe is just my hats.
I fancy an Indiana Jones type hat next - https://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/products/ ... ight-brown
(Village Hats are good to buy from btw)
I have some hats but very rarely wear them. I'm lucky to have thick hair, so my head just gets too hot when I do unless its really cold. I favour the flat cap lately, but i'm more Failsworth than Kangol.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Woolly hats, baseball caps, flat caps, cowboy hats, aussie hats, I wear 'em all and don't give a fig leaf what other think about 'em
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Ordered today :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:41 pm Ordered today :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Is that a sobriety thing, number of yards not drunk?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mussels wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:48 pm Is that a sobriety thing, number of yards not drunk?
Sobweity, damn old timer!! I can't spell let it alone do it
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Well, I bought four sausages from Morrison's for the dog. They are most certainly not a pleasing purchase.
IMG-20221215-WA0004_copy_907x1612.jpeg
IMG-20221215-WA0004_copy_907x1612.jpeg (201.03 KiB) Viewed 515 times
Reduced or not, who the fuck would eat those?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'd eat them.

I flippin' love overcooked cheap sausages.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:41 pm Ordered today :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Megametre!

Should have gone for the more impressive (and scientist triggering) Gigamilimeter.
gremlin wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:58 pm Reduced or not, who the fuck would eat those?
Well someone's already 'ad two of them.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Tacho and speedo on four bikes and the van. There's three for the electricity. Five electrical multimeters. A guess at seven for the compressors.

That's a total of 25. I've a long way to go.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I got mine in 2012 (a freebie!) and it's still in good shape. There are way more metres on the C2 now but it and the T shirt are both quality items!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Yambo wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:56 pm
I got mine in 2012 (a freebie!) and it's still in good shape. There are way more metres on the C2 now but it and the T shirt are both quality items!
They're still free :thumbup: and at 5, 10, 15 etc.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

cheb wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:39 pm Tacho and speedo on four bikes and the van. There's three for the electricity. Five electrical multimeters. A guess at seven for the compressors.

Colleague of mine today stated (in written text) that something was X micrometers long. Apparently "how big was the micrometer?" was not the response he expected from me.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:14 pm
cheb wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:39 pm Tacho and speedo on four bikes and the van. There's three for the electricity. Five electrical multimeters. A guess at seven for the compressors.

Colleague of mine today stated (in written text) that something was X micrometers long. Apparently "how big was the micrometer?" was not the response he expected from me.
He'll learn.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I'm a bit late to the hat party. Putting aside ball caps I have one cheap boonie hat & a rather spiffy (& spendy) Akubra *Snowy River* bush hat. I get compliments on it every time I wear it :)
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:12 am I'm a hat man (that sounds like it should have another meaning aside from a fellow who likes hats) and I have a varied collection, in the hallway at the moment on the hatstand is a bowler hat, a couple of newsboy caps and a pork pie. In the wardrobe are a few more newsboys, four or five trapper hats, a couple of trilbys and loads of assorted beanies and stuff.

One of the things I miss about living in a bustling city is that I can't wear my bowler, well I could but it would get too much attention.
Step into the street in London in my bowler and Burberry short Kensington and you'll hardly get a second glance, dress like that in a village in rural Lancashire and you'll get all kinds of unwanted attention - which is ironic really because it was designed as a gamekeepers hat and it would have been very common here once.

I fancy an Indiana Jones type hat next - https://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/products/ ... ight-brown
Lairds do some nice stuff.

I have a Fedora, that gets used regularly, and a Hunter that I bought for shooting and have thus far never worn. :(
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:10 pm

I have a Fedora, that gets used regularly, and a Hunter that I bought for shooting and have thus far never worn. :(
Now you're a rural gent RB, should you feel the 'need for tweed' or an urge to 'horde some cord' - Cordings of Piccadilly are still in business, or to release your inner ghillie, the House of Bruar can tweak your breeks. :D

(I strongly recommend that men hide both websites from their partners :( )
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

The House of Bruar is worth visiting in high season. You can watch Chinese tourists go in looking quite normal and come out looking like a cartoon Scot complete with there Clan heritage certificate.

The food hall was well stocked when I last went there. The clothing range is good too, more tweed than fleece, but only just.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

cheb wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:57 am The House of Bruar is worth visiting in high season. You can watch Chinese tourists go in looking quite normal and come out looking like a cartoon Scot complete with there Clan heritage certificate.

The food hall was well stocked when I last went there. The clothing range is good too, more tweed than fleece, but only just.
Only ever bought on-line but it's nice that they still have some bricks. Bruar and Hoggs of Fife seem to be the same company in different jackets. :hmmm:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:44 am
Rockburner wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:10 pm

Now you're a rural gent RB, should you feel the 'need for tweed' or an urge to 'horde some cord' - Cordings of Piccadilly are still in business, or to release your inner ghillie, the House of Bruar can tweak your breeks. :D

(I strongly recommend that men hide both websites from their partners :( )
I grew up wearing that shit, (private schools), i still get hives when i see a tweed "sport jacket"
non quod, sed quomodo