Find me a van then...

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: Find me a van then...

Post by cheb »

LWB Vivaros have a ridiculously large turning circle. I don't know how it compares to many other vans but a similar size or bigger Transit was much smaller.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:31 pm
Height restrictions.
That even catches me out in my Defender because it's jacked up on big wheels, not by much but there are a few extra inches there (who doesn't want an extra inch :lol: ) and I even managed to rip the door handle off one of my new garage doors as I was reversing in for the first time because on that side there is a slight hump as you drive in.

Even my bog standard Nissan 4x4 is on the borderline for a lot of car parks, same with the Range Rover, which is also too wide really for standard car park spaces if you actually want to open the doors. Our transit that we used for MX racing had a decent footprint but it was too high for those types of car parks.

It wasn't that often it caught us out but it was a pain sometimes, for example after a MX race if we wanted food on the way home and needed to get into a car park or drive through with height restrictions then it wasn't happening.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yeah with a few bits in mind, i'm thinking LWB and low-top.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/van-detail ... on=at_vans

This is the sort of thing really.

The Kuga is listed with Motorway today who semi-auction it and then you either take their price or you don't... it's also listed on Trader for sale... Although i do need to add some more pics today for it.

This one is arguably my favourite...

But depends what deals come up from some messages today really.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Is it me, or is the paint on the rear panel different to the rest of it?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Demannu wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:44 am Is it me, or is the paint on the rear panel different to the rest of it?
I think/assume it's just the pic... but with these sort of things it's impossible to say until seeing it. Bit early so just waiting for some replies. Along with waiting for SMC-R to be collected.

Potter

Post by Potter »

They seem expensive at the moment, but I can't say I was looking at prices before, so maybe it's normal?

If prices are currently spiked then I'd be tempted to wait until the chip situation settles down, wallets tighten and it's more of a buyers market?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Demannu wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:44 am Is it me, or is the paint on the rear panel different to the rest of it?
I thought the same - looks like that panel has been blown in at some time.....
dern

Post by dern »

Potter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:59 am They seem expensive at the moment, but I can't say I was looking at prices before, so maybe it's normal?

If prices are currently spiked then I'd be tempted to wait until the chip situation settles down, wallets tighten and it's more of a buyers market?
Good luck with that. I bought mine in the summer and the same van costs more now. Demand is high.

At the end of the day it’s not a consumer item, businesses need them.
Last edited by dern on Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:59 am They seem expensive at the moment, but I can't say I was looking at prices before, so maybe it's normal?

People have been saying that since the first months of 2020. They are what they are. There's no stock of new vans incoming so the market is high... I can sit and wait but I do really want/need a van. They're not a crazy as they were 12 months ago.. but they're certainly not 'budget' at the moment.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Hmmm hmmm hmmmm food for thought fellas.

Funnily enough, i’ve just had my KTM collected in a SWB Transit Custom and i don’t think it’s big enough. They’re not small of course, but it’s more a half way house i feel.

So at a minimum it’s going to be a LWB medium van…. But i do need to have a look around one this week to see how they size up. If not, then yeah we’ll have to be going a bit bigger.

The things on my mind are for say days when it’s raining, we’ll have the Gazebo up, but we’ll also be loading all the kit in at the end of the day, getting changed in it into clean dry stuff.. There’ll be a BBQ, there’s tools, chairs, gazebo, 3-4 helmets, 3-4 changes of clothes, 3 sets of armour, 2 spare sets of wheels and on many days it’ll be either 3 or 4 bikes in there.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

When you go to the competitions, what is everyone else using?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:31 am When you go to the competitions, what is everyone else using?
That massively varies from Transit sized vans to £100,000k motorhomes and just about each and everything inbetween.

Difference in some ways is that a lot of these are single/solo people racing on their own. The family racers and parents generally have bigger rather than smaller.

https://www.carinsta.co.uk/used-peugeot ... re-4657274

Mrs Weeksy wouldn't be feeling it in terms of size.... but... it's a nice thing
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The longer they get, the poorer the ground clearance? That one ^ looks like wobbly ground could be an issue maybe.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just a thought. Bigger van will give you room to carry a mattress to doss down in the van.
Could be useful sometimes.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

A bit left field but have you thought about a race van/camper conversion? Something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165814357826 ... R6zBu8KdYQ
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I have, but whilst it ticks the comfort and the 'day-van' use, I'm not convinced we'd get 4 bikes in there.
Potter

Post by Potter »

We had a LWB transit van and it was big enough for two MX bikes and kit, and enough room to get changed, I even managed to change tyres in the back if I was clever with storage.

Eventually we bought a little caravan and had the best of both worlds, I think I paid £700 for the caravan and it was brilliant, we looked like pikeys driving down the road but it was the perfect set up - in fact you could probably carry the MTBs in the caravan, so instead of a van you could keep the car and get a cheap caravan?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:59 am We had a LWB transit van and it was big enough for two MX bikes and kit, and enough room to get changed, I even managed to change tyres in the back if I was clever with storage.

Eventually we bought a little caravan and had the best of both worlds, I think I paid £700 for the caravan and it was brilliant, we looked like pikeys driving down the road but it was the perfect set up - in fact you could probably carry the MTBs in the caravan, so instead of a van you could keep the car and get a cheap caravan?
Doesn't work for me that one.... fair few reasons, but just a no.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Potter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:59 am We had a LWB transit van and it was big enough for two MX bikes and kit, and enough room to get changed, I even managed to change tyres in the back if I was clever with storage.

You looked like a family of pikeys in it.
Honda Owner
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Mrs Weeksy wouldn't be feeling it in terms of size.... but... it's a nice thing
[/quote]

Is that what you meant to say. ? 😯
Yamaha rocket 3