Find me a van then...

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: Find me a van then...

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:24 am Might need to persuade @dern to come round with his van to see how easily i can get 3/4 bikes in and where it leaves us for other things to carry... I guess that would answer a lot of 'is it big enough'
How about renting a few variants to see which suits you best?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:16 am
weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:24 am Might need to persuade @dern to come round with his van to see how easily i can get 3/4 bikes in and where it leaves us for other things to carry... I guess that would answer a lot of 'is it big enough'
How about renting a few variants to see which suits you best?
I think in honesty there's enough scope to test drive them to make that sort of decision.

I've just been and test driven the Movano

Image2022-12-06_10-11-36 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Just seeing it next to the Vivaro it does show how much bigger they are... like, WOW... way bigger. The van itself was pretty nice, it drives well, spacious in the front and obviously fairly spacious in the back too. It does drive very very van like compared to say a Vito/Transit custom. Even the engine, just sounds and feels more vanny. But of course, that's because it's a van :D

Don't know why but i thought the Movano above had cruise which it doesn't... but the reversing camera works well, has DAB and as i say, drives nice enough, comfortable seats, light clutch action. Gearbox, well the actuator isn't the silkiest, but i think that's just not being used to the vehicle and would soon be fine rather than a problem with it.

It's certainly a thought/option.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I'd say if you want cruise control, then wait until you find one that has it. It'll nag you down the line if you don't...
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

On modern vehicles with drive-by-wire throttles, retro fitting Cruise is usually really simple. On some it's just a matter of fitting the controls, on others it's fit the controls and have the dealer turn it on in the ECU. Worth a google.
dern

Post by dern »

weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:36 amJust seeing it next to the Vivaro it does show how much bigger they are... like, WOW... way bigger.
That looks massive. I'd rule it out as it would be a pain in the arse on lanes and much more difficult to park (multistories) so would be way less useful to me generally but I didn't need the space.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I could just about use the Transit Custom like a normal car, it would just about get round multi-storey car parks, fit in parking spaces and just fit under most height barriers (2m). If I had gone for anything much bigger then it would have been awkward.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

dern wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:28 am
weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:36 amJust seeing it next to the Vivaro it does show how much bigger they are... like, WOW... way bigger.
That looks massive. I'd rule it out as it would be a pain in the arse on lanes and much more difficult to park (multistories) so would be way less useful to me generally but I didn't need the space.
Multistories are rarer than flying in my book... i think i've done 2 in the last 5 years. Lanes though is certainly a consideration with where we live and where we visit. Quite a few places we head to are a little bit rural shall we say, with back lanes and gravel strewn lanes a factor for sure.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:37 am
Multistories are rarer than flying in my book... i think i've done 2 in the last 5 years. Lanes though is certainly a consideration with where we live and where we visit. Quite a few places we head to are a little bit rural shall we say, with back lanes and gravel strewn lanes a factor for sure.
What about where you live? Big vans blocking parking areas, views and light are a PITA to neighbours and often the cause of arguments?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:59 am

What about where you live? Big vans blocking parking areas, views and light are a PITA to neighbours and often the cause of arguments?
Not a problem either mate, we have no neighbours on that side and it's a cul-de-sac so no traffic through apart from local. I can easily park on my drive and put the Focus off the drive if that were an issue, but honestly it's not a consideration that's needed.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:03 pm

Not a problem either mate, we have no neighbours on that side and it's a cul-de-sac so no traffic through apart from local. I can easily park on my drive and put the Focus off the drive if that were an issue, but honestly it's not a consideration that's needed.
No covenants in your home deeds about commercial vehicle parking?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

v8-powered wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:29 pm

Absolutely no idea if i'm honest... Didn't know it was a thing and can't say it's something that's ever worried me. Other neighbours have vans, so can't see it being a problem.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:36 pm
v8-powered wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:29 pm

Absolutely no idea if i'm honest... Didn't know it was a thing and can't say it's something that's ever worried me. Other neighbours have vans, so can't see it being a problem.
May just be worth a consideration especially if you're looking at bigger vans / vans without side windows etc. Vivaro / Transporter / Vito you could probably get away with but any bigger and people may get arsey......
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Pay attention to what everyone is saying about the height of the van. If you think you need more room than a Vivaro has to offer then look at a long wheelbase first before going for extra height.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:41 pm Pay attention to what everyone is saying about the height of the van. If you think you need more room than a Vivaro has to offer then look at a long wheelbase first before going for extra height.
Why ?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:47 pm
Pirahna wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:41 pm Pay attention to what everyone is saying about the height of the van. If you think you need more room than a Vivaro has to offer then look at a long wheelbase first before going for extra height.
Why ?
Exactly, I don't know about Weeksy, but I like to be able to stand up in a van, for me it makes a huge difference in how cramped a van feels, it's the main reason I don't like using Vivaro sized vans for transporting motorcycles, I'd rather use a trailer.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mine was extra high Jumbo Transit. Never had problems with height.
mel

Post by mel »

Not read it all so don’t shoot me ,

Personally if you are not carrying bikes that often, I would go for vivaro size, much easier to use on normal day to day things ,
if you do indeed need more room and head height consistently ,then a medium base , medium height like a movano size.
Long wheel base very high roof are ott unless you are going to use it every weekend racing ect ect or like yorick used his .
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Why ?
Height restrictions. In a car you never notice but start paying attention to height restrictions and things that stick out. It's not uncommon to find one at the entrance to a supermarket for example, only it won't be anywhere where you've got an escape route, you'll be trying to turn round in a narrow one way road. There's all sorts of stuff that will catch you out in a tall vehicle. I did spend six months living a VW Crafter, admitedly a bit bigger than the Movano but there's lots of stuff to catch out the unwary. If you're only ever going to use the van to drive to and from events then happy days, if it's a sort of daily driver then low top is a lot easier.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:31 pm
Why ?
Height restrictions. In a car you never notice but start paying attention to height restrictions and things that stick out. It's not uncommon to find one at the entrance to a supermarket for example, only it won't be anywhere where you've got an escape route, you'll be trying to turn round in a narrow one way road. There's all sorts of stuff that will catch you out in a tall vehicle. I did spend six months living a VW Crafter, admitedly a bit bigger than the Movano but there's lots of stuff to catch out the unwary. If you're only ever going to use the van to drive to and from events then happy days, if it's a sort of daily driver then low top is a lot easier.
I get a few worrying moments in my campervan cos of roof height, especially low branches on country lanes!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well we nearly had a winner, but then noticed it didn't have air con. Oops.

Sadly, most dealers are coming in too low for me, which of course is their right lol. But still, I think I'll be advertising privately.