Brad Ray

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Brad Ray

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:33 pm
weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:23 pm But the question is then, could he have stayed where he was? And should he?
There's no prizemoney in BSB. And every racer, ever, wants to pit himself against the best in the world. You play safe when you're in mid 30s and trying to up your pension pot.
But still, half a season ? when the others have more knowledge, data, tyre experience ? Isn't he just setting himself up for failure ?
wull

Post by wull »

Weeksy how are you not getting this 😂

Why would you stay in BSB when you have an opportunity to be against the best on a bike you know well and on tracks you know well and it’s not half a season, he’s doing 8 rounds out of 12 and if he does well then the opportunities that could open up far outweigh any by doing another season in BSB.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:49 am
Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:33 pm
weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:23 pm But the question is then, could he have stayed where he was? And should he?
There's no prizemoney in BSB. And every racer, ever, wants to pit himself against the best in the world. You play safe when you're in mid 30s and trying to up your pension pot.
But still, half a season ? when the others have more knowledge, data, tyre experience ? Isn't he just setting himself up for failure ?
There will be no expectations. And an opportunity to impress the bosses who'll see he's at a disadvantage to start with.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

wull wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:43 am Weeksy how are you not getting this 😂

Why would you stay in BSB when you have an opportunity to be against the best on a bike you know well and on tracks you know well and it’s not half a season, he’s doing 8 rounds out of 12 and if he does well then the opportunities that could open up far outweigh any by doing another season in BSB.
Simple really to me, the other riders will get more and better pre-season testing, more setup time, more bike knowledge, he'll be coming in cold after they've been racing 2 weekends before. Sure he may get to do some testing in Europe, but testing isn't racing. Look at all the Wildcards who come in part way through a series, they struggle, because they've not got enough saddle time.

Motorbikes now are all about tyres, electronics, data-logging... With him missing 1/3 of the rounds, he's missing 1/3 of all of that... Because of that, results will suffer. Opportunites only open up if he does well... if he sits there in 10th, 12th, etc... Then everyone sits and looks with "yeah, not quite good enough"
wull

Post by wull »

He’ll be allowed to do testing which allows him to get use to the electrics, tyres won’t be an issue as they are Pirelli. Doing 8 rounds versus a wildcard round is not comparable, you can’t liken him doing 2/3 of a season to someone doing a wildcard round, plus he’s done a fair bit of racing in various European championships and ran as a wildcard at Donington in 2015 finishing 14th and 15th.

Doing 8 rounds will give him a chance to showcase himself, it’s a no brainer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

wull wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:16 am He’ll be allowed to do testing which allows him to get use to the electrics, tyres won’t be an issue as they are Pirelli. Doing 8 rounds versus a wildcard round is not comparable, you can’t liken him doing 2/3 of a season to someone doing a wildcard round, plus he’s done a fair bit of racing in various European championships and ran as a wildcard at Donington in 2015 finishing 14th and 15th.

I disagree... but we'll see.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:20 am
wull wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:16 am He’ll be allowed to do testing which allows him to get use to the electrics, tyres won’t be an issue as they are Pirelli. Doing 8 rounds versus a wildcard round is not comparable, you can’t liken him doing 2/3 of a season to someone doing a wildcard round, plus he’s done a fair bit of racing in various European championships and ran as a wildcard at Donington in 2015 finishing 14th and 15th.

I disagree... but we'll see.
He only has to please the Yamaha bosses. They have made the situation so they understand the situation.
It's like an audition that the bosses want him to do well in.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Yorick wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:26 am He only has to please the Yamaha bosses. They have made the situation so they understand the situation.
It's like an audition that the bosses want him to do well in.
As I see things,it's his only chance to get into the WSBK paddoock on competitive machinery.If the manufacturer's were looking for a British rider he would get more opportunities,sadly those days are over, he's been given the opportunity to show one of the top teams (and the rest of the paddock) just how good he is.He's now got an entry into the WSBK paddock with one of the main teams.
Weeksy, Given the opportunities/lack of opportunities what would you do differently?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Bustaspoke wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:47 am Weeksy, Given the opportunities/lack of opportunities what would you do differently?
Personally, i'd stay on a championship winning bike/team until a better full-time offer became an option.

I think he'll struggle, with the BMW making strides with swingarm, the Honda getting better, then throw in that his bike won't be as good as Toprak/Locas, they may say it will, but it won't.... Then factor in he's missing the first 2 rounds of the championship, i'm not seeing him pushing the front end of the race at all. It's just too much ground to make up too quickly, on a bike that's not quite good enough and not enough data.

Winning BSB a second year running, then you start asking questions about Lowes or the Locatelli bike, but a second/third string Yamaha, meh...
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

weeksy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:53 am
Bustaspoke wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:47 am Weeksy, Given the opportunities/lack of opportunities what would you do differently?
Personally, i'd stay on a championship winning bike/team until a better full-time offer became an option.
Fair enough,but I disagree.
I don't think he'll get another chance with a works team in WSBK,maybe a private team,but not a works ride so he has to grab the opportunity.
Taz McKenzie tried to make the jump last year & I think Yamaha offered him a ride at Donington & Assen but that was all.
These days opportunities to progress to the top teams in the WSBK paddock just don't seem to be there & more 'GP refugees' seem to be interested in moving across.
Just my thoughts.
wull

Post by wull »

I’d say doing another year in BSB is more risky, I mean look at Taz this season, injuries etc. What if Brad for whatever reason struggled next season in BSB or had some sort of injury ruining his season, then he’d struggle for an opportunity the following season for WSBK.

If he struggles next season and it doesn’t end up in a full time position then fair enough, at least he’s tried, plus he’s still young enough, you’re looking at it from a completely negative point of view.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

wull wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:53 am you’re looking at it from a completely negative point of view.
Well that's because i don't see it as a positive :D
wull

Post by wull »

weeksy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:55 am
wull wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:53 am you’re looking at it from a completely negative point of view.
Well that's because i don't see it as a positive :D
🤦‍♂️
wull

Post by wull »

Apparently it’s not the team or Brads decision about the flyaway rounds, it’s looking as if Dorna has restricted the amount of teams that can do them rounds which means Motoxracing can’t do them.

Some of the replies are saying that’s nonsense and it’s purely a team/rider decision based on budgets etc as Dorna wouldn’t do that. This was the initial thought from everyone
Last edited by wull on Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
wull

Post by wull »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

'allow' ? Confused.. I thought it was a team/money thing rather than Dorna not allowing him ?

That's somewhat bizarre though surely... They have grids of 20, 30 WSS bikes, grids of lots of SS300s... what difference would another WSB bike make on there ?
wull

Post by wull »

weeksy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:16 am 'allow' ? Confused.. I thought it was a team/money thing rather than Dorna not allowing him ?

That's somewhat bizarre though surely... They have grids of 20, 30 WSS bikes, grids of lots of SS300s... what difference would another WSB bike make on there ?
That’s what everyone thought, and still believes. More than likely the usual social media bullshit.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:15 am
weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:12 am THat's just a little bit weird then..

He basically can't really do anything overall then. I'm not seeing a lot of logic.... but i'm sure he's a clever lad and knows what he's doing.
Shakey knows what he's doing as well :)
I'm a fan of both of them, but did shakey ever get a top flight world ride ?

Regards BSB the world series don't look here as although it's great racing the riders aren't learning electronics and as Redding proved the talent isn't as high as WSB
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Shakey went MotoGP... on the 'prilla Cube iirc.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:37 am Shakey went MotoGP... on the 'prilla Cube iirc.
I rest my case :shifty: