Brad Ray

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
wull

Brad Ray

Post by wull »

Reigning Bennetts British Superbike Champion Bradley Ray will make the move to the World stage next season after Yamaha Motor Europe has announced he will join the FIM Superbike World Championship in 2023 for the eight European rounds with the Yamaha Motoxracing WorldSBK Team.

Ray celebrated title victory in Bennetts BSB this season with Yamaha following nine wins and 23 podiums and will now have the opportunity to showcase his talents on the world stage, with his campaign set to begin at the championship’s third round at Assen.

Ray said: "After what's been an incredible debut year with Yamaha in the UK in part one of my career quest to become British Superbike Champion, I'm absolutely delighted that Yamaha have rewarded me with this opportunity to take the next step with the Yamaha Motoxracing WorldSBK Team.

“I've dreamed of being World Superbike Champion since my race debut at three years old and I'm only too aware that it wouldn’t be possible without the support of a manufacturer like Yamaha and the team I have around me. I'm very keen to get started in WorldSBK and hope to follow in the footsteps of many of the successful Brits in the championship. It's time to take aim for that next title, step by step!”

Andrea Dosoli, Yamaha Motor Europe Road Racing Manager, added: “Yamaha is fully committed to giving our riders from the national championships the opportunity to race on the world championship stage. After an incredible first season on the R1 in British Superbikes, Bradley has shown that he fully deserves his spot on the WorldSBK grid in 2023.

“We’ve seen over the years that he has fantastic race craft and consistency that allowed him to win the title this year. We are sure that he will be able to adapt quickly, as he has been able to throughout his career so far. The Yamaha Motoxracing WorldSBK Team are sure to give him the best possible chance to challenge for strong results.”
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Brad Ray

Post by weeksy »

wull wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:04 am FIM Superbike World Championship in 2023 for the eight European rounds with the Yamaha Motoxracing WorldSBK Team.
But not the rest ?
wull

Post by wull »

weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:06 am
wull wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:04 am FIM Superbike World Championship in 2023 for the eight European rounds with the Yamaha Motoxracing WorldSBK Team.
But not the rest ?
No, this was rumoured along with riding for Motoxracing Yamaha but I hadn’t seen anything conclusive until there the now. I’m thinking the plan is if he performs well enough he might progress and or they might commit to the full season next season.

I’m not entirely sure but it’s maybe purely cost, the flyaways will add a fair bit of cost on to the season.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

THat's just a little bit weird then..

He basically can't really do anything overall then. I'm not seeing a lot of logic.... but i'm sure he's a clever lad and knows what he's doing.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:12 am THat's just a little bit weird then..

He basically can't really do anything overall then. I'm not seeing a lot of logic.... but i'm sure he's a clever lad and knows what he's doing.
Shakey knows what he's doing as well :)
wull

Post by wull »

Yeah I’m fairly certain they’ve sat down and discussed it thoroughly and with Shakey managing him I’m sure they know what they’re doing. 8 rounds on tracks he’s familiar with or at least some of them I’m sure he’ll go well.
Skub

Post by Skub »

It's a showcase,if he shines,then he's in. I hope he does well and gets a decent shot.

It's a hard station climbing the greasy pole in racing,even when you are good,there's no such thing as a free lunch now.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I've met him at an evening do with James Witham, he seemed like a nice lad with his head in the right place
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Maybe it's a cunning plan to get Topraks ride when (if) he moves to MotoGP in 2024.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:55 am Maybe it's a cunning plan to get Topraks ride when (if) he moves to MotoGP in 2024.
A devious cunning plan Baldrik.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:25 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:55 am Maybe it's a cunning plan to get Topraks ride when (if) he moves to MotoGP in 2024.
A devious cunning plan Baldrik.
As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

McKenzie did a couple of rounds for Yamaha this year,I wonder if the next Yamaha mounted BSB champ will get the same offer?
Good luck to Brad,is he doing any other racing next year?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Bustaspoke wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:10 pm McKenzie did a couple of rounds for Yamaha this year,I wonder if the next Yamaha mounted BSB champ will get the same offer?
Isn't Niall getting a bit old for all that?
Honda Owner
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:32 pm
Bustaspoke wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:10 pm McKenzie did a couple of rounds for Yamaha this year,I wonder if the next Yamaha mounted BSB champ will get the same offer?
Isn't Niall getting a bit old for all that?
Yes, but Championi Taz was No1 last year :D
Pgm

Post by Pgm »

He might be going worlds but possibly on a 600 is a rumour going round.
crust

Post by crust »

Doesn't seem a good deal to me.

All the regulars will have time on their bikes to get them sorted and done two race weekends before he gets there, so he's already behind the curve.

I'm guessing its a budgetary thing and the best they could get.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

crust wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:11 pm
I'm guessing its a budgetary thing and the best they could get.
^^^^This^^^^
Lets be honest though,it's the same in the BSB padddock & most paddocks in the higher levels of bike racing,right down to stuff like the Red Bull rookies
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

But the question is then, could he have stayed where he was? And should he?
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:23 pm But the question is then, could he have stayed where he was? And should he?
It depends on his ambition. As in any sport if you think that you have the talent to take yourself to the next level but don't take the opportunity then you will always be asking 'What if'?
If he doesn't burn his bridges then I'm sure he could return to the BSB paddock at some point
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:23 pm But the question is then, could he have stayed where he was? And should he?
There's no prizemoney in BSB. And every racer, ever, wants to pit himself against the best in the world. You play safe when you're in mid 30s and trying to up your pension pot.