New bike time

Anything you like about motorbikes
Scootabout

New bike time

Post by Scootabout »

After seven years I've sold the NC700 and bought a (used) Tracer 700. Three years old, 10k miles approximately. Absolutely spotless - until I rode it in a downpour today, that is - with loads of accessories. I bought it partly because lockdown fever has left few forms of release and one of them that entered my head was a new bike. It also happened that my son has been looking for a while for an A2 bike and didn't seem to be having much success, so I thought I might do him a favour and sell it to him at less than market price.

Thoughts so far? Almost all good. Everyone talks about the engine, with good reason. It pulls strongly from low down in the rev range and keeps it up throughout the range. So my fear that I'd have to forego the NC's torque in exchange for a top-end power surge proved unfounded. So a big tick in that box. I also like the gearbox, screen, weight, handling.

Looks? Well I've never been keen on the 'bitty', meccano-set appearance but this one has a nice dark metallic red colour, and of course the very sexy spotlights and engine bars. Oh, and matching topbox (flimsy-ish though it is compared with my old Givi V47). Oh, and the fetching 180 section rear tyre tantalisingly revealed by the tail tidy :D

The supension's a bit harsh over bumps at the moment. I think I need to check the rear preload. If that solves it, great, otherwise I'll have to either get used to it or find a way to upgrade it. The NC wasn't that great, either. I had just rather hoped the Tracer would be better.

So that's my first impressions. More to follow, perhaps, after I've ridden it a bit more. Any other Tracer 700 owners out there?
Attachments
Tracer First Day.jpg
Tracer First Day.jpg (174.66 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
Skub

Re: New bike time

Post by Skub »

That's definitely red!

Health to enjoy,man. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Same boat as you!! I'm selling the NC700 for something else more "fun". Lockdown, not needing a commuter anymore and just wanting to have something different. K1200R for me though. Have a buyer for my bike, just need to sort a leaky fork seal! Spotted that 1/2 hour before her arrived. Bother.

Your new bike looks great, as Skub says, RED RED WINE!!!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

I like the bike and the colour. That was my first choice, a red Tracer but got seduced by a 790. Still wonder if I made the right choice sometimes.
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

Nice bike. Test rode a Mt07 and was impressed with the engine - super torquey as you say. Very light feeling too, tho I guess was less to it than the Tracer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I am not sure a Tracer is for me, but an mt07 or XSR 700 maybe.

Keep us posted on it as I'm sure a few of us are curious
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

A quick update. I've put about 900 miles on it now. I've changed the preload a couple of times. The manual says for standard riding the setting is 3. It was set on 1. So I changed it to 3 and found it much more taught, but rather harsh at slower speeds over bumps. Not bad at higher speeds, when it seemed to iron them out. We're talking A31 here, which has a pretty crap surface in places. Next step - you guessed it - try it on 2. Quite a bit better on most surfaces. Maybe a bit bouncy/wallowy on undulations, but for me a good compromise between comfort and handling. Bear in mind I only weigh about 65 kg (10 st 4lb) so I'm a bit lighter than average. So I plan to stick with 2 for solo riding. Happy enough. Another Tracer owner I know who is also light has upgraded to a Hagon rear shock and finds it to be an improvement, but he's a better and faster rider than me. I don't think I need that upgrade, at least for now.

In other respects I'm loving the bike. It's quick, flickable, comfortable. Steady as a rock at speed, including on motorways. This pleasantly surprised me, as the wheelbase is shorter than the NC's. It uses more fuel than the NC, of course, but according to the mpg computer returns about 65 mpg overall, which I'm happy with. I'm still faffing with the screen a bit, but screens, eh?

Overall, compared to the NC I'd say it delivers more fun for only marginally more cost and a very small comfort deficit. Very good value for money if you're in the market for this kind of bike.

I'll try to remember to post again after a few more miles.
Trogladyte

Post by Trogladyte »

Nice. Not for me, I don't think, but I hope you enjoy it. Your write ups are very engaging.

Does it come in red?
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Trogladyte wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:37 am Nice. Not for me, I don't think, but I hope you enjoy it. Your write ups are very engaging.
Thanks!
Does it come in red?
That is the colour of the one I bought. I don't usually like red. I'm more of a grey/silver chap - in more ways than one these days - but this one's a very sexy dark metallic red. So I couldn't resist.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

It looks like one of them Frazers.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

Scootabout wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:33 pm
That is the colour of the one I bought. I don't usually like red. I'm more of a grey/silver chap - in more ways than one these days - but this one's a very sexy dark metallic red. So I couldn't resist.
[/quote]

Dont blame you
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

Nice bike Mister I have the 900 find the seat a bit hard though.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

maccecht wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:01 am Nice bike Mister I have the 900 find the seat a bit hard though.
Maybe you've gone soft riding those maxi scoots, rather than a 'proper bike'? :D
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

Scootabout wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:27 pm
maccecht wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:01 am Nice bike Mister I have the 900 find the seat a bit hard though.
Maybe you've gone soft riding those maxi scoots, rather than a 'proper bike'? :D

Mmm possibly true but I have you to thank for that. Looking forward to the unveiling of the Forza 750 next month as will be replacing my aging Burgman next year.
It has 63 k on it and is getting a bit dog eared by the time I change it it will up around 75k if it doesnt blow up
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

maccecht wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:37 pm Looking forward to the unveiling of the Forza 750 next month as will be replacing my aging Burgman next year.
Didn't know they were bringing out a 750 Forza. Perhaps I should come over for a test ride? :mrgreen:
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

Scootabout wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:10 pm
maccecht wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:37 pm Looking forward to the unveiling of the Forza 750 next month as will be replacing my aging Burgman next year.
Didn't know they were bringing out a 750 Forza. Perhaps I should come over for a test ride? :mrgreen:
Always welcome dont bring the plague though :D
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Having put 5000 km on a 900 Tracer two-up around NZ last February, I have to say I found the seat pretty comfortable - better than my XJ6 or Hornet, that's for sure. Oddly enough, firm works better for long days in the saddle, in my experience.

The most comfortable long distance bike I've owned was - wait for it - the GSX-R750WN, which was comfortable for ridiculously long rides given the seat foam was about 5cm thick. I did just under 1000 miles in a day on it once, back from Austrian to Kent via N Italy. The least comfortable was a Corbin-fitted BMW R100GS - horrible bucket-shaped thing that you sat in, and couldn't move around in.

I'm tempted by the 700 Tracer myself when (if?) I retire the XJ.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

The odd thing about seats seems to be how much opinions vary on the same one. I always found the NC700X seat to be fine for all day riding, with breaks of course. Other owners have said they hated it.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Scootabout wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:42 pm The odd thing about seats seems to be how much opinions vary on the same one. I always found the NC700X seat to be fine for all day riding, with breaks of course. Other owners have said they hated it.
I think you get used to things too. I hear folk complain about the seat on my bike and I thought it rather firm myself,yet I punched in about 150 miles on Sunday and my boney arse never said a word.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Dodgy Knees quite enjoyed his Tracer 900 around Pembrey on the track day in August to the extent we had to unbolt the hero blobs on the pegs as when i was following him for a few laps he was digging them in and leaving traces on the tarmac ...and thats from a bloke who was previously on a KTM 1290 iirc . From those that had seen him before on the KTM he was faster on the Tracer

I have looked at them when i was looking at replacing my written off Multi but i couldnt make the change to a 900 GT as i loved the Ducati too much