Depression

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: Depression

Post by cheb »

I don't know the regs in England but in Scotland you can have up to 50 birds without needed much, if any, paperwork.

Have you a pond or will you have to make one?
Potter

Post by Potter »

Two ponds, and a stream.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

cheb wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:48 am I don't know the regs in England but in Scotland you can have up to 50 birds without needed much, if any, paperwork.
Aren't birds on lockdown again due to another round of bird flu
cheb

Post by cheb »

Potter wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:56 pm Two ponds, and a stream.
And a mudbath once you get ducks.
MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:50 pm
cheb wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:48 am I don't know the regs in England but in Scotland you can have up to 50 birds without needed much, if any, paperwork.
I think so in some areas.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Yes, nationwide, as from 7th Nov.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Potter wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:19 am
cheb wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:11 am Ducks are way more entertaining than chickens, Muscovys especially.

Would you keep them as pets, for the eggs, for the food, or a mix of all three?
In our perfect uneducated world, they're pets that lay enough eggs for us to have them for breakfast 2-3 times a week, then we hatch some and have roast duck once a week.

In reality, probably pets and we eat some of the eggs and give some away.
We’ve got a couple of runners and 3 peking.

To be fair they were good layers and I like the rich duck eggs, they’re old now and no longer laying, but still bloody messy and noisy.
Our chickens are great though and are tame, rescue hens that I paid £3 each for. We used to have a variety of different breeds, but they’ve all died of old age and now Melton Market doesn’t do fur and feather auctions anymore I doubt I’ll go looking for other breeds again.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Wossname wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:37 pm
Getting the little masks on must be tricky.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:59 pm
Wossname wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:37 pm

Getting the little masks on must be tricky.
You're not really taking this seriously, are you? :D
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Wife and workmate went to a Vincent van gough exhibition Saturday . They have known each other for many years.

Wife’s w/mate is late 50’s, divorced, has a daughter, mid 20’s, the daughter has a good job, has her own house. No need for any outside help for any financial assistance.

Wife’s work mate says to my wife..... what’s the fucking point of living? If I didn’t have a daughter I’d fucking end it.

My wife’s mate is ok money wise. She doesn’t want to meet up with friends once a week/month

It’s a cluster fuck out there
tricol

Post by tricol »

100% @Wscad

I've had similar thoughts this past few weeks. Just had a decent payrise at work, finally settling into the new house, but I'm rock bottom and struggling. It's a sh1tshow alright.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Keep going fella. One day at a time.

Live long and prosper 🖖
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

tricol wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:05 am 100% @Wscad

I've had similar thoughts this past few weeks. Just had a decent payrise at work, finally settling into the new house, but I'm rock bottom and struggling. It's a sh1tshow alright.
Literally the ONLY reason I've made it through the last few years is because I've had friends make that ultimate & final decision and the mess that is left behind for family and also for friends is horrible

If I chose that route it wouldn't be anyone fault, but enough of my friends think the way I do and would beat themselves up about 'not being there', 'not seeing and preventing' etc that I couldn't do that to them.

I've been in the "friend that could (probably not but maybe) have seen and helped" place too many times, so won't put anyone else in that place, it sucks.

I have no close family (close biologically but not emotionally) so whilst there'd be an effect, I can't see it lasting long. But I know I have friends that would be devastated. So, I have kept on keeping on for that reason. Tough, but, for me, especially now I have made more friends out here, it's turning out to be worth it

Hugs to you and @Wscad xx
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
tricol

Post by tricol »

Well, it's funny you should mention friends. I had a chat with Hannah (my gf) last night about this as she had been let down by a friend who was going to help her get Glastonbury tickets. She was really upset that she felt like an outsider. Anyway, I have said to her a few times over the years that it is so hard to make friends now. I was very lucky that my circle of friends from home are still my closest friends, even thought I haven't lived at home for 8 years. I've known all of them for 20+ years. I don't have any friends here in England. I have a few people I have met through my hobbies, such as here, and a few through MTB'ing. But I don't have any mates who I can call on, chat crap together, go for a beer, a walk, or whatever. And the sad thing is, I don't think I ever will. It gets incredibly lonely as times, even more so in winter which is one of the reasons I always struggle from this time of year on.
Yamaha MT09 SP
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

tricol wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:41 am Well, it's funny you should mention friends. I had a chat with Hannah (my gf) last night about this as she had been let down by a friend who was going to help her get Glastonbury tickets. She was really upset that she felt like an outsider. Anyway, I have said to her a few times over the years that it is so hard to make friends now. I was very lucky that my circle of friends from home are still my closest friends, even thought I haven't lived at home for 8 years. I've known all of them for 20+ years. I don't have any friends here in England. I have a few people I have met through my hobbies, such as here, and a few through MTB'ing. But I don't have any mates who I can call on, chat crap together, go for a beer, a walk, or whatever. And the sad thing is, I don't think I ever will. It gets incredibly lonely as times, even more so in winter which is one of the reasons I always struggle from this time of year on.
TBH mate, i don't think it's that uncommon in society now, esepcially with virtual worlds playing a factor as much as they do. So 'we' need to make an effort, be the person who pushes the friendships etc.. It's hard, but sometimes it's got to be on you to try and make it happen.
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

I still haven’t got to know how to do a like/ thank you correctly but thank you 😀
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Wscad wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:19 am I still haven’t got to know how to do a like/ thank you correctly but thank you 😀
Just click on the Image
button!
Scud

Post by Scud »

I think feeling alone and nowhere to turn to talk is probably the driving factor behind lots of depression.
I originally started this thread when I was feeling that way, it’s becoming apparent that it’s very common.
I’m always happy to listen if anyone needs an ear, just drop me a pm and I’ll gladly provide my number and make time.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:55 am
tricol wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:41 am Well, it's funny you should mention friends. I had a chat with Hannah (my gf) last night about this as she had been let down by a friend who was going to help her get Glastonbury tickets. She was really upset that she felt like an outsider. Anyway, I have said to her a few times over the years that it is so hard to make friends now. I was very lucky that my circle of friends from home are still my closest friends, even thought I haven't lived at home for 8 years. I've known all of them for 20+ years. I don't have any friends here in England. I have a few people I have met through my hobbies, such as here, and a few through MTB'ing. But I don't have any mates who I can call on, chat crap together, go for a beer, a walk, or whatever. And the sad thing is, I don't think I ever will. It gets incredibly lonely as times, even more so in winter which is one of the reasons I always struggle from this time of year on.
TBH mate, i don't think it's that uncommon in society now, esepcially with virtual worlds playing a factor as much as they do. So 'we' need to make an effort, be the person who pushes the friendships etc.. It's hard, but sometimes it's got to be on you to try and make it happen.
I don't think that is anomalous situation these days - i have lived at 27 different addresses and 3 countries since i was 18. I have never had the "mates from school" thing - as I never really went back to Solihull. You acquire people as you go through life, hobbies, work, neighbours etc. But boy, do you have to make an effort. For some (like my wife) that comes easily. For others (me) it doesn't
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

^^ This ^^

I've lived in Sheffield for 22 years and worked there for 20 of them, and I don't have any friends here. All my friends are back in Stafford. Once you get past a certain age it becomes quite difficult to make new friends.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:24 pm Once you get past a certain age it becomes quite difficult to make new friends.
I'm not sure i actually agree, it's easy to make new friends... Assuming both of the people involved want to. However we reach a time and age and life where most of us don't actually want to make new friends, which then as a by-product makes it hard..

Mrs Weeksy is someone who loves to make friends and build relationships and she does it really well. Sadly, not always do the other people involved go out of their way to do so.