Hmmm.

Anything you like about motorbikes
Yorick

Re: Hmmm.

Post by Yorick »

The quoted price was 8,500€ with something I didn't understand. The price is 8,000€ plus 500€ of accessories or kit. It'll be mine very soon :D
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

For off road I'd much rather ride a two stroke, I find them loads easier to ride, the throttle response is better, I like the lack of engine braking, I just generally find the whole bike much nicer to ride, I'm not so keen on the fuel consumption and the need to put new rings in after every decent length enduro (if you don't they lose their crisp response), I also wouldn't want a 300 two stroke, I'd rather have a 200.

BTW, my experience of White Power suspension was when they were still made in Holland, if they were as good as Ohlins then Ohlins weren't very good, the suspension on my 86 KTM wasn't as good as an 86 RM250, the Suzuki had Kayaba suspension, I also find it mildly amusing that White Power is now WP, and Kayaba is KYB
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:39 am How different is the power delivery and outright power/torque between 2T and 4T enduro bikes? If it was just a question of kerb weight, 2T would win every time.
My pal who does tours has a WR450 and a Husky 300.

He says the Husky is way superior.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Having gone back to wee carbed 2T after years of 4Ts I’m finding the 250 2T so much nicer to ride, the lightness, loads of power when you need it or the ability to chug along at very low revs without stalling in the tricky stuff, it just requires less effort.

Can’t beat the sound either.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Personal preference is everything I suppose, I preferred my 300EXC against my mates 450EXC if we were green laning or doing steady enduro stuff, but if we were racing or doing more extreme stuff then the two stroke was harder work.

Light is good, I raced a 125 in Canada when my mates preferred the bigger bikes, but if it got really gnarly then everyone wished they had my bike as we were dragging them out of holes and mud - same in the desert, bigger bike is easier until you get stuck.

IME any proper offroad 125 has plenty of power for any hills, even extreme mega-dunes, but they're certainly harder to maintain momentum than something bigger - which is my point with the bigger 4Ts, you don't have to be so precise, so when you're knackered and you hit that hill and miss a gear, then you can get away with just twisting the throttle, whereas on a 2T it will die on you.

A 2T is loads of fun, but IME you rarely see a 250 2T racing against the 450 4Ts, even though they're eligible to, most people switched to 4Ts because the average bloke will be faster on one.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I like the two stroke 200s because they're usually 125s with a big bore, so you get a 125 sized chassis and 125 power, but with a load of mid range, if you want the bike to chug along at low rpm add a flywheel weight.

I'm never going to win any races so which bike is faster is irrelevant to me, I'd rather ride the bike that's fun to ride.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The 300 injection motor really is a splendid thing.
My Beta 300 has power, but the Husky has loads more everywhere
Potter

Post by Potter »

As I said, it's mostly preference for the majority of us and I reckon ride what makes you happy.

On the tarmac it's a 2T every time for me, the only 4T that comes close in terms of enjoyment is a big air-cooled single in a light classic bike.
Big lazy modern 4Ts are much easier to own and ride, but have rarely done much for me.

On the dirt it depends what I'm doing.
crust

Post by crust »

Nowadays all my riding is UK trail riding, sometimes with a good road ride to the lanes or between lanes, I find a decent well tuned 2T frustrating on the road, hunting and surging, especially on the way home after a days riding whereas a 4T is easy on the road and on the lanes, twist and go from any revs.

I just prefer the bottom end torque of a 4T.

Plus I can do without the maintenance schedule required to keep a 2T crisp.
Le_Fromage_Grande

crust wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:11 pm Nowadays all my riding is UK trail riding, sometimes with a good road ride to the lanes or between lanes, I find a decent well tuned 2T frustrating on the road, hunting and surging, especially on the way home after a days riding whereas a 4T is easy on the road and on the lanes, twist and go from any revs.

Those were pretty much the reasons why I bought a DRZ400 in 2000.
Honda Owner
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

4T are nicer in that they aren’t affected by seasonal changes, my kdx was suffering a bit back in the heat of summer with surging to the point where I was going to strip the carb but now temps have dropped it’s fuelling sweetly.
IanB

Post by IanB »

I did an off road training day in a Somerset quarry earlier in the year & at lunchtime local pro rider Charlie Frost did a demo for us on his Beta 300 2 stroke. I couldn't believe the climbs he was doing in 2nd & 3rd gear on that thing, some of them looked nearly vertical to me :crazy:

It was a torque monster for sure
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

crust wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:11 pm Nowadays all my riding is UK trail riding, sometimes with a good road ride to the lanes or between lanes, I find a decent well tuned 2T frustrating on the road, hunting and surging, especially on the way home after a days riding whereas a 4T is easy on the road and on the lanes, twist and go from any revs.

We can do 4 hours enduro and less than a mile on tarmac. And yes, it is crap on road on small throttle.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I put the Husky on the Spanish selling site, Milanuncios and got a buyer straight away. Cool,

He said he'll pay by bank transfer and have the bike collected. I'm on Lanzarote and he's mainland.

It's a nice bike but there are others for sale in the mainland. Too good to be true ?

I've heard of distance selling scams in the UK, but not here, yet

Once he pays I could just stop dealing with him. It all sounds a bit too good to be true.

Gonna pop into my bank on Monday and ask it it can be safe
Skub

Post by Skub »

Bank transfer is one of the safest methods to use.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

If it help at all I've sold dozens of vehicles to people who I'd have struggled to trust otherwise but who have paid via bank transfer on collection.

If I've seen it in my account before they leave it's always worked out.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

What would you class as safe instead?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:43 pm What would you class as safe instead?
Dunno. The bike is a fair price at 6200.
He's got to pay about 300 tax.
Then 500 or 700 to have it picked up and shipped to the mainland.

There are bikes near him for sale. Why go to all this hassle.

Something doesn't seem right
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I'm sure I saw something once that said even bank transfers could be recalled, but I might be imagining it. Best to ask your bank. If there's a way of guaranteeing the money then let him get on with it.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Supermofo wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:52 pm I'm sure I saw something once that said even bank transfers could be recalled, but I might be imagining it. Best to ask your bank. If there's a way of guaranteeing the money then let him get on with it.
Yeah, I'm gonna pop in tmrw.