What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
DefTrap

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by DefTrap »

Silly Car wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:57 am Managed to save around £500 by clearing out 4 years’ worth of dryer lint from the condenser in the washer dryer as it kept throwing an overheat fault.
I was dead lucky with ours. Stopped working, I opened the case up to 'have a look'. At some point in the past one of the seals split and the casing was literally a foot deep in lint. :shock:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:53 am Strewth!

Mind you, you get Man Badge+bar for home appliance maintenance. :thumbup:

(Also, to be fair, ours is just a dryer, not a washer/dryer so it's a simpler machine).
And you have a standard condenser dryer. I thought a heat pump dryer was an upgrade until I found the condenser is fixed and plumbed into the coolant, I open the service flap and see cooling fins going back several inches, very close together and it comes with a short cleaning brush. :thumbdown:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Do far in the loft-if-plenty I found my old Rukka suite, pair of nice condition Sidi boots, 4 crash helmets, Scott mx jacket and my sons box of footie and Pokémon cards with a few of these types in!😀

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

How much stuff has made it as far as the skip? :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:42 pm How much stuff has made it as far as the skip? :D
Tis true, some stuff has undergone relocation! :D But things like the old bike kit has been lobbed! Mrs T can't complain if I buy new gear as she made me chuck the old stuff! :thumbup:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Do various emergency services still want old crash helmets for training purposes?
Felix

Post by Felix »

Got older and in a few hours probably got the shits also :lol:

Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Silly Car wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:28 am Home alone with the dog for the weekend and off work today, no fixed plans other than booster jab on Sunday morning

Jobs for the weekend:
  • finish off plaster boarding loft bedroom ceilings which have been a slog as every time I carry a plasterboard up 2 floors, I manage to tweak my shoulder so can only manage 3 or 4 per day and then it takes a day or so to recover. 15 boards done, 2 to go.
  • depending on quote from plasterers, consider taping / jointing ceilings rather than getting a man in. To give you an idea of how much hassle this will be, there is around 60m of corner beads to fit and fill around the windows, king trusses and purlins.
  • hack off the damaged render from the bottom of the bay window, access to brickwork and then make good (dodging the forecast rain)
  • insulate behind knee/stub walls in loft bedrooms with left over PIR and fibreglass insulation.
Thankfully doggy is out all day tomorrow on an adventure day so plenty of time to crack on.

Other than above, fish n chip tea tonight, possibly a kebab tomorrow and gaviscon all day on Sunday ;)
Job jobbed, let’s just hope it sets up over night before tomorrow’s rain…

I’m still awaiting the plasterer’s quote so 2nd item is in abeyance for now.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

We went out and ordered a new bathroom and tiles. We knew exactly what we wanted and completely changed our minds when we got there! :D I think its probably the first time in over 30 years we've both looked at each other in total agreement on something! Even better know we're bought something that blew us away rather than the normal conversations of, did we make the right decision? Should we have got the other one? Which is how things normally are!
Skub

Post by Skub »

This year's offering.

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I rode my mates bike to town - no top box as that foxed me when I went out this morning and still couldn't get it shut!!!

Did some shopping for my friend for her shop then stayed there for a long time and chatted with various friends that came in! As well as going to look at another friends newly bought apartment :)

But, have been feeling spectacularly rubbish all day - the only reason I staying in town instead of going for a ride over one of hte mountains! So maybe this latest vaccine is having more side effects than the previous one :roll:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
636mick

Post by 636mick »

cheb wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:15 pm Do various emergency services still want old crash helmets for training purposes?
Biker down like them if you’ve got one anywhere near you?
Mick
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

636mick wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:32 pm
cheb wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:15 pm Do various emergency services still want old crash helmets for training purposes?
Biker down like them if you’ve got one anywhere near you?
Mick
Nearest one is LFB I think, but they're buried in the skip and somewhat musty from being in the loft anyway.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got woken up at 01:15 by The Joker and Harley Quinn at the front door asking if I fancied a kebab! :wtf: It was my daughter and her other half who ended up at a party in our town and wanted somewhere to crash! :D
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Before
IMG_20221030_112212.jpg
IMG_20221030_112212.jpg (1022.99 KiB) Viewed 163 times
And say hello to my little friend!
IMG_20221030_112153.jpg
IMG_20221030_112153.jpg (908.49 KiB) Viewed 163 times
Because, allegedly my insurance are paying for this, I had a quote from the local Moho shop for the replacement and fitting.
They whacked €50 on the price of the panel, and quoted 2 hrs labour.
Took me 35 mins from getting the ladder out to putting the ladder away again, and who says dealers are robbing bastards!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:42 pm How much stuff has made it as far as the skip? :D
I'm now wondering whether the bike that was nicked is actually up there somewhere
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

My friend with the shop messaged me this morning and asked if I could take down a phone charger (if I was going down!! Which I was!!)

Has something else to take to a mate elsewhere, so, both things into top box, headed to bike to refit box and go to the valley

That didn't work, so thing for other friend left at home and phone charger into pocket and I went to town :D

Chatted for ages, drank lots of coffee!! (Well, lots for me!! LOL) and then helped her shut the shop

She had some cinnamon rolls left over (most of the people that would have visited today went partying last night so she had stuff that would have ended up in the bin :( ) and gave them too me. But, no bag/no top box

There's always a way to transport free cinnamon rolls :1 :1 :1 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :bblonde:

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

8 solid hours of painting - getting bored with it now!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I went back up to my resort today. By bike :D Previously, the riding down the mountain was a big issue for the problem muscles in my arm. Today I rode a bit over 100kms, up to a friends place about halfway up the mountain (compared to my resort), back down, then up to mine and back down.

Well damn if that wasn't way easier than on the Monster. I can't decide if it's the riding position or the lack of vibrations of the Honda! The Monster has WAYYYYYYYY more character, but the Honda is much kinder to my dodgy arm!! LOL

Happy happy Noggin today.

And, I ride the CBF way differently to the Monster. I think because it is so much bigger. But I steer much more with my body (well, my butt/hips!) than I do on the Monster!! LOL

Hopefully I can get the Monster registered for the spring so that I can try it again after some serious work with the winter physio!!

But, 100kms up and down a mountain and relatively comfortable after is kinda cool :D :D

Shame it's gonna rain in the morning :( But if it's dry in the afternoon, and hasn't snowed up high, I might have a go at riding up to the Col du Petit St Bernard :D :D It'll close by the weekend, so if I'm gonna, I have to do it soon !! LOL
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Had lunch in Arezzo and chatted to a nice lady from Milan who rolled up on a Tiger 900 with her husband on his GS. They spoke perfect English and we chatted nonsense about bikes and life and stuff.

We both agreed, whilst her husband was out of earshot, that she had the best bike. :D
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!