The kings is dead... long live the king.....

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Wreckless Rat

Re: The kings is dead... long live the king.....

Post by Wreckless Rat »

This weeks spam email, courtesy of a site member....

Blame him for the spam. ;) :crazy:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Caffe corretto, FTW. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

So, given that I was the birthday boy yesterday, I find myself in possession of an electric grinder from Lakeland, courtesy of the lovely Mrs. G. It has a grinder attachment, as opposed to just a chopper, and I'm playing with timings to get the right grind.

A question to the coffee guru: how many grams of coffee do you reckon for one mug of coffee?

Ps. Finished the Monsoon Malabar. Good, but not my favourite. That accolade still goes to the El Salvador Finca San Ernesto. I'm also thinking I may have to put in a regular subscription as I'm going through beans at a rate of knots, not least as the F-I-L is now a convert. He's even talking about buying a grinder and French press when he moves out. No mention of buying any beans, so I assume I'll still be subbing him in that respect. :D

Another question: If I do the subscription, can I freeze it at any time in case I go on holiday or summat? Or just build up a stock of coffee to rival Maxwell House....
Falcoholic

Post by Falcoholic »

I've just ordered some just to see what all the fuss is about ;)
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

gremlin wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:55 pm So, given that I was the birthday boy yesterday, I find myself in possession of an electric grinder from Lakeland, courtesy of the lovely Mrs. G. It has a grinder attachment, as opposed to just a chopper, and I'm playing with timings to get the right grind.

A question to the coffee guru: how many grams of coffee do you reckon for one mug of coffee?

Ps. Finished the Monsoon Malabar. Good, but not my favourite. That accolade still goes to the El Salvador Finca San Ernesto. I'm also thinking I may have to put in a regular subscription as I'm going through beans at a rate of knots, not least as the F-I-L is now a convert. He's even talking about buying a grinder and French press when he moves out. No mention of buying any beans, so I assume I'll still be subbing him in that respect. :D

Another question: If I do the subscription, can I freeze it at any time in case I go on holiday or summat? Or just build up a stock of coffee to rival Maxwell House....
1) 16-19 ish grams for a double espresso - that's the industry norm' and what most E61 portafilters like having in them. Filter, never measured it, but I personally work to one tablespoon per cup and one for the pot. YMMV.

2) Subs - currently there is no "pause" option - its a new feature (requested by me) and I have requested a few updates. I will see if I can add it to the ever growing list of "problematic customer requests" ;)
Falcoholic wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:55 pm I've just ordered some just to see what all the fuss is about ;)
Good good, even if you hate it, I have your cash.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:06 pm
Good good, even if you hate it, I have your cash.
If the coffee business fails, you have a future in the financial industry. :thumbup:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

So these grinders. Do you need a fancy one or will something like these still be better than getting council house ground? So far I've gone on the basis that if I need a spendy one, I'll get WR to do it for me on his fancy one.

Did the Monsoon this morning. Nice light taste, fairly subtle.
melons

Post by melons »

Cheers

I mostly compromise with Nespresso type pods in a Sage machine for both time & convenience, but enjoy a better coffee on a day off, or on a lazy morning when I'm working nights & mostly buy from either 'Monmouth' or 'Dear Green' who both offer an Aeropress grind (Monmouth have 2 Grinds :eh: ).

I've just over half a kilo of DG left, but as I'm both intrigued by the reviews you're getting and as you reckon your espresso grind will work in the Aeropress Waveney will be my next order :)
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Linky's no worky.

Any burr grinder is better than the council house grind imho. Coffee stales fast, even though I use foil bags, you will still notice the difference in aroma if you grind just before you use it.

For a cheap grinder - it depends if you are a filter or espresso person. Dose grinders, will grind a small dose into your portafilter but are a pain for filter..

For filter - these get the best reviews for cost effective machines

https://www.krups.co.uk/COFFEE-GRINDERS ... 1500813215

For espresso dose grinding

Something like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-BCG60 ... B00RLXPHJ8

Unless you want to spend a bit more...then something like this.

https://www.johnlewis.com/sage-the-smar ... r/p1591194

Just AVOID the wizzy smash it to bits, spice grinder with a wizzy blade. They are shit.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:07 pm
gremlin wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:02 pm Got my three bags delivered this morning. Packaging is very classy, love the way it's personalised. If you're shallow and needy like me, you'll love it. :thumbup:

Opened the El Salvador packet first and having my first cup, ground using my donkey's year old grinder and brewed in my cafetiere.

First thing was the aroma, as was promised, not over-roasted to the point where bitter undertones (like Fergal Sharkey) start to overwhelm. Nice and light, perhaps even warm and floral. Compared the beans to some Lavazza beans I've been drinking this week. Way lighter and smaller.

Taste - call me a Philistine, but I take my coffee with milk, in a straight mug, sort of like Micheal Caine in Get Carter. Nice and smooth, and as above, no bitterness. Rounded, quite light and with a slight 'green' taste. Certainly a good breakfast coffee. Went well with the complimentary biscuits thrown in. :P

Washing up - Plonked the mug in the dishwasher.

As an aside, I think coffee, like beer, can be appreciated 'on the burp' (seriously, try it!). This coffee passes the burp test!
WTF ??????

Can we have that translated to Northern?
Eeee thy's not gorra cup of mellow Birds tha knows!
Falcoholic

Post by Falcoholic »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:49 pm Just AVOID the wizzy smash it to bits, spice grinder with a wizzy blade. They are shit.
Oh!
:shifty:

I looked at the Krups one with 7 settings and soon realised that I didn't know there were 7 different grades of "wizzy"
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Falcoholic wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:15 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:49 pm Just AVOID the wizzy smash it to bits, spice grinder with a wizzy blade. They are shit.
Oh!
:shifty:

I looked at the Krups one with 7 settings and soon realised that I didn't know there were 7 different grades of "wizzy"
It's honestly not that tricky, not unless you are looking at competition grade coffee, and who gives a toss about crap like that. I just want good cup of coffee.

For espresso, you want it fine, pretty fine, press/filter has a wider range. Experiment, that's the best way. Find what YOU like. The finer it is, the more you will extract from the coffee - and if you go too fine, you will end up with grounds in your cup.

There is a little on grinds on my site

https://www.waveneyvalleycoffee.co.uk/grinding
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Trying Holly's Blend next. Hmm yes. One packet of coffee not yet opened. We do like coffee.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Just wondering Wratty, what with Christmas coming, the goose getting fat, etc., etc., have you thought of putting together a 'coffee lover's sample gift pack'? Maybe six small bags of 'our favourite single estate beans for the coffee lover in your life', in either beans or ground along with a mug? Just throwing it out there. Was discussing WVC with a mate and was going to buy him a bag then realised I was way too tight, but it got me thinking a gift box could be a gateway to repeat custom if his wife was to buy it instead of me. :thumbup:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

gremlin wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:49 pm Just wondering Wratty, what with Christmas coming, the goose getting fat, etc., etc., have you thought of putting together a 'coffee lover's sample gift pack'? Maybe six small bags of 'our favourite single estate beans for the coffee lover in your life', in either beans or ground along with a mug? Just throwing it out there. Was discussing WVC with a mate and was going to buy him a bag then realised I was way too tight, but it got me thinking a gift box could be a gateway to repeat custom if his wife was to buy it instead of me. :thumbup:
I'd buy one of those for a friend who loves his coffee. Would have to be caffitiere grind though.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

We considered this last year.. but couldn't decide what people would buy. We asked a few (lots) of people on the markets, and it seemed people all wanted something totally different.

Some wanted it in a little gift baskets, some wanted a travel mug, some a china mug, some wanted full bags, some wanted mini bags...in the end I gave up.

In the interest of customer satisfaction... a few questions:

1) Price point. What would you spend on a gift? - This dictates the amount either in bag size, or numbers of bags etc
2) What sort of packaging? In my mind, I think it needs to be in a little basket or something but this adds about a fiver to the cost...
3) Mugs - people have asked for these before. We have travel mugs which we pretty much give away, either to regulars who buy a chunk, or anyone who orders a monthly subscription. However, most people seem to want some form of china mug in gifts.

Grinds - we can still whole bean/grind to suit, it would just be a drop down option on ordering.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:08 pm We considered this last year.. but couldn't decide what people would buy. We asked a few (lots) of people on the markets, and it seemed people all wanted something totally different.

Some wanted it in a little gift baskets, some wanted a travel mug, some a china mug, some wanted full bags, some wanted mini bags...in the end I gave up.

1) Price point. What would you spend on a gift? - This dictates the amount either in bag size, or numbers of bags etc
2) What sort of packaging? In my mind, I think it needs to be in a little basket or something but this adds about a fiver to the cost...
3) Mugs - people have asked for these before. We have travel mugs which we pretty much give away, either to regulars who buy a chunk, or anyone who orders a monthly subscription. However, most people seem to want some form of china mug in gifts.

Grinds - we can still whole bean/grind to suit, it would just be a drop down option on ordering.
Surely the only mug is an espresso size?? (maybe a largish one to allow for lungo drinkers)

Maybe packed in a small Peli style case?

;)

(although - it has 'been done' https://www.caseclub.com/product/case-c ... ig-2-mugs/ )
non quod, sed quomodo
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:15 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:08 pm We considered this last year.. but couldn't decide what people would buy. We asked a few (lots) of people on the markets, and it seemed people all wanted something totally different.

Surely the only mug is an espresso size?? (maybe a largish one to allow for lungo drinkers)

Maybe packed in a small Peli style case?

;)

(although - it has 'been done' https://www.caseclub.com/product/case-c ... ig-2-mugs/ )
Espresso drinkers, are quite rare....
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Question on the variety pack, will I get a different set from last time next or will it be completely random? If possible be nice to get a different set so I can nail down favourites going forward.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

You kindly threw in a sample bag in with one of my previous orders. That's what got me thinking. Was it a 100g bag? That's a bob-on size.

Numbers wise, maybe 6 or 8 bags plus an 'eco-friendly' travel mug and, obviously a money off voucher for the next order. :thumbup:

Price wise, around £20-£25 would be reasonable, but obviously you'd have to price it so that it was comparable to the price of a similar weight of standard order beans. For me it would be the fact that there was a selection that mattered most.

Re the mug, if you're thinking of going down that route, consider this: your product is high end and ethical. Something branded but equally as high end would suit the product. Just looking on Alibaba something like this perhaps:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 2ec9Ih0YI2

Packaging is tricky, but I'd say go with the high end, eco vibe: branded brown paper bag. Recycled, naturally. Preferable hand-woven by rescued armadillos. Excessive packaging is just sooo last decade.