What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mussels

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Mussels »

I ordered one of those pull out shelf units for kitchen corner cupboards so I can use the dead space at the back.
Nice idea but the bloody thing doesn't fit, now deciding if I return it or go for broke and buy a new carcass it does fit.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Fairly sure I've got my first points in nearly twenty years - extended a trip to the fuel station as the weather was so nice and stupidly sailed into a mobile camera trap at an indicated forty.

The guy was excited enough to pan after me to get the number plate so I'm assuming I'm done for.
Skub

Post by Skub »

ChrisW wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:21 pm Fairly sure I've got my first points in nearly twenty years - extended a trip to the fuel station as the weather was so nice and stupidly sailed into a mobile camera trap at an indicated forty.

The guy was excited enough to pan after me to get the number plate so I'm assuming I'm done for.
It's a heart sinking moment,but think positive,until the NIP arrives you got away with it. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Sat through a Teams meeting and remembered why I HATE having to do anything with management.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Went to the GP's office this morning to find out when next week he's open - but actually he's there tomorrow afternoon :bblonde: :bblonde: Woohooo

Then went to class with a brain still mangled from yesterday!! LOL Survived, mostly. Then took the hire car back - couldn't get fuel in either of the garages near the rental place (a supermarket) but the nice man told me that the tanker at the forecourt was delivering petrol, so he organised with the person in charge of the fuel side of the supermarket that she'd let us get petrol - when actually they weren't opening the petrol pump just then :D :D Soooo car back deposit back - makes a change from the last place I used :D :D

Friends picked me up so that I could go with them to Geneva airport and bring their car back. I don't think I've ever been driven by someone so scary. My friend really does drive down the dotted line and struggles to stay between lines on a motorway. I would think he seriously needs his eyes testing except his wife is so calm, so maybe it's not as bad from the front seat as from the back :( :o :(

Then I drove a rather butch Subaru back to their house. Well damn, that could be fun, but then you see the fuel gauge going down as you accelerate and think - oops!!! :lol: :lol: Can't imagine why they have whats basically a muscle car that is totally NOT economical on mountain roads, let alone any other roads :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best bit, if it doesn't rain in the morning, I think I may be riding his bike to school :D Nice CBF1000 with pretty new tyres that hasn't been ridden much at all this year :D :D DAMN I REALLY hope it doesn't rain!! LOL Not sure I should ride someone else's bike for the first time in the rain :angelic-green: :angelic-green: :angelic-green:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yesterday went on what will (potentially) be the last ride of the year on the LC. The bike is SO much nicer to ride now the carburation is set up correctly. And the Brembo calipers and master cylinder remove all that heart in the mouth 'will it stop in time?' feeling. One finger braking is enough for most situations, two fingers if it's an emergency.

Today I've been rearranging the sheds, chucking out stuff and generally reorganising the spaces. I know this is normally a Spring activity, but it needed doing now, not in six months time.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Started discussions in the pub with a chap who has an early sv650 who is open to doing a swap with my scabby sprint 900.

It will probably come to nought but....
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Picked up my new driving licence from the post office this morning.

The old one had the wrong address on it from 2006, the photo date ran out in 2012 and the whole thing expired in Jan last year when I turned 70. I don't have a car here and it was all of no real consequence but with the Santanfuckinder fiasco, getting a new bank account required me to have a UK address (and some sort of proof). I was getting some gentle nagging as well that I might want to share the driving when we used a friends car so I got the form and a £17 postal order filled it all in using my son's address and sent it off with a covering letter giving the reasons for my out of date bits.

There was no bother and the new one has a UK address, new photo and is valid for 3 years as I'm over 70. DVLA didn't screw up by missing off the bike licence as they've been prone to do with others I believe but I don't have any C categories any more but hey, why would I want them? I can use it to open a new UK bank account, YAY!

I might even get some wheels next year . . .
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Was out with a mate last night. Earlier in the week he was driving down the A21 toward Hastings. Two bikes went past him, as he put it, 'Like bats out of hell'. He clocked that one was a female. 30 seconds later. as he's rounded a bend, all traffic had stopped. Being a first aider, he got out to see if he could help.
I won't go into the details, but the female biker died at the scene, notwithstanding his efforts at CPR and the subsequent efforts of the paramedic.

My mate is a big, building site-type. Takes a lot to make him cry, but he cried last night as he told me the story.

RIP lady biker. :thumbdown:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Cleaned and lubed the Husky air filter.
Normally use the drench, squeeze and drip dry for 2 days method.
But yesterday the shop was out of oil but recommended the spray oil can jobby.
Much easier. Spray, squeeze and leave an hour to dry.

Woo hoo
Screenshot_20221020-130256_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20221020-130256_WhatsApp.jpg (295.39 KiB) Viewed 315 times
Skub

Post by Skub »

gremlin wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:51 am Was out with a mate last night. Earlier in the week he was driving down the A21 toward Hastings. Two bikes went past him, as he put it, 'Like bats out of hell'. He clocked that one was a female. 30 seconds later. as he's rounded a bend, all traffic had stopped. Being a first aider, he got out to see if he could help.
I won't go into the details, but the female biker died at the scene, notwithstanding his efforts at CPR and the subsequent efforts of the paramedic.

My mate is a big, building site-type. Takes a lot to make him cry, but he cried last night as he told me the story.

Occasionally an inkling of the devastation behind road deaths hits home. Recently a chap was killed in a single vehicle accident and while that's bad enough,the story behind the event was heartbreaking. He was on his way to the local hospital to pick up his wife and newborn son.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

gremlin wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:51 am Was out with a mate last night. Earlier in the week he was driving down the A21 toward Hastings. Two bikes went past him, as he put it, 'Like bats out of hell'. He clocked that one was a female. 30 seconds later. as he's rounded a bend, all traffic had stopped. Being a first aider, he got out to see if he could help.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-63289603

Spoke to my mate today, just to make sure he was ok. He's been asked to attend a police station in Sussex as they want to use a mannequin to recreate how she was lying under the car, take a more detailed statement, etc. I think it's affected him quite deeply.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

That's tough. Big ups to him for stopping. Not everyone can/wants to etc. And the aftermath can be huge.

gremlin wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:05 pm

Spoke to my mate today, just to make sure he was ok. He's been asked to attend a police station in Sussex as they want to use a mannequin to recreate how she was lying under the car, take a more detailed statement, etc. I think it's affected him quite deeply.
In a way it's good that he can 'continue' to help, but again, so tough

I know you said that he's a big , building site type guy, but (you may have already) suggest that he talks either to the police or the ambulance people about finding someone to talk to. Sometimes it can help to talk to an emergency services connected 'talk' person - or just someone that has some understanding of dealing with a death in those circumstances

Hugs to him. Kudos to you for checking up on him - he may well need that further along than most would think xxx
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Noggin wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:04 pm

That's tough. Big ups to him for stopping. Not everyone can/wants to etc. And the aftermath can be huge.

gremlin wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:05 pm

In a way it's good that he can 'continue' to help, but again, so tough

I know you said that he's a big , building site type guy, but (you may have already) suggest that he talks either to the police or the ambulance people about finding someone to talk to. Sometimes it can help to talk to an emergency services connected 'talk' person - or just someone that has some understanding of dealing with a death in those circumstances

Hugs to him. Kudos to you for checking up on him - he may well need that further along than most would think xxx
Maybe Gremmers has his eye on this big butch builder?

Bumming hat?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Went to school

Went to my friend's shop for coffee

Went back up to resort to see some friends on the way to seeing the doc

Came home after dark!! LOL Not a big issue but -

All of this by bike! My house sit friends CBF1000. Only real downside is that he has one of those touring screens on it, so it feels like someone is drumming on my head! :lol:

But, damn that was good! I do so love big Hondas. They just feel so right!! LOL (Probably due to doing all my early riding and learning on a gurt Honda - Blackbird).

Even the rain kept mostly away, so I didn't get wet and the roads weren't scary - although I didn't ride that well down the mountain, but that was more to do with the dark, so couldn't see the level of wet on the road!! But hey - awesome!!

Sadly the forecast is rain for a few days now, but I'll be back out on it when it stops raining :D :D

Parked outside the language school this morning :D :D

EDIT - one other issue - I unlocked the Givi top box to take his spare lid out and use the box for shopping then couldn't get the box locked again, so had to take it off the bike (cue having to use a rucksack for bringing stuff back from home :roll:)

HTF do you lock a Givi top box? Hopefully it's as easy to get back on the bike as it was to get off!!!

The shed the bike is in has no light (that I could find this morning!) so need to take a torch with me to refit!! LOL
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:08 pm
Maybe Gremmers has his eye on this big butch builder?

Bumming hat?
Such a twat. :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Had a stroll in the countryside around a nearby village. It gets used a lot for films - turned up one day and whole areas were covered in fake snow. The Stig owns (or owned) one of the pubs.

Dunno which film this was - Professor Branestawm?

Cracking day, v sunny after last night's monsoon. Very sandy area so no mud-plugging. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

failed miserably with dog recall this morning.
let her off the lead, and off she went, like she had the nod from the man from del monte.
we stood there like lemons for 5 mins, nada.
went home. she came back after an hour, i opened the gate for her, oh no! off she goes again!
so off i go on the bike looking for her, bit of off roading on the XSR, get nearly home and spot her in a field. thankfully she came to me, popped a lead on her, hooked it over the remote preload adjuster and off we trundled. got some VERY strange looks from a gendarme who happened by, but whatever works!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Picked Olaf the Ovlov up from his MOT.

Passed with no advisories.

MOT booked in a panic when the wife remembered it expired yesterday. She's taken my car to work today :(
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Been to the eye doctor at St Thomas's Hospital in Westminster. Glaucoma is still in the wings, but not yet making an appearance. Pressures are high, but eyes are healthy and I'm doing okay. The laser surgery to assist with drainage is working.

Wife now going to Kings College for MRI for her brain mass. We are covering all bases today.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.