What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

Pirahna wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:51 pm
Noggin wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:32 pm Just about to leave home to go see my friends that asked me to cat sit when I got a phone call - cat badly injured (possibly off road vehicle or cows trampling it) and they were sat at the vets with it, not much hope :( :(

20 mins later, no more cat :( :(
A neighbour knocked on my door, she was walking her dog and there was a dead cat up the lane beside my house, did I know who it belonged to? The cat had been hiding in the grass when a tractor with a hedge cutter came down the lane. Rather than scarper the cat had ducked, just not low enough. I did know who it belonged to and broke the bad news.
Oh no :( :( That's so sad :( :( :( xx
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Perhaps as a counterpart to Docca's new build thread.

Just finished this. It’s my mate's place in France, after 20 months of work.
20221016_122756.jpg
20221016_122756.jpg (690.86 KiB) Viewed 481 times
And, for the before (yes that is sky visible through the 'roof')
20221016_122729.jpg
20221016_122729.jpg (251.37 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Turning it 2D is certainly a way to reduce energy bills.
Horse

Post by Horse »

He moved in a couple of weeks ago, so has only just needed to start paying for that :)

Although temps out there right now are mid to high 20s!
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Been for a cycle.
Been shopping

Fitted these monstrosities to the bike
Attachments
E6E2474C-CE2D-41A0-9DA8-79EF35BF2098.jpeg
E6E2474C-CE2D-41A0-9DA8-79EF35BF2098.jpeg (446.39 KiB) Viewed 444 times
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I found a tin of cassoulet in my camper and have just eaten it. :thumbup:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Went for a walk. It was a sort of memorial walk because it was one I used to do a couple of times a week with a neighbour's beautiful, departed hound (a Brittany, 90% lungs and muscle). 5 miles after which the dog was always still full of beans and knew I still had a dog biscuit in my pocket.

Took a pic from a bench under a tree where we (I) would have a breather. Eric Clapton's gaff is somewhere up in the trees on the right. Bill Bruford's old gaff is off to the right somewhere (he's moved down the hill).

RIP Beacon, you biscuit eating, deer chasing, lead pulling hound. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

A Brittany in natural habitat. :D

Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I did some homework this morning (non school day today!) then went to the valley to hopefully get a blood test - I have a prescription with about 10 tests on it and don't know what is what. Turns out that I need to fast for 12 hours first :roll: Guess the gyne didn't know that when she gave me the papers!!

And she seems to be testing everything except hormones :roll: Given that I'm 99.9999% sure it's hormones that are causing the current issues, I'm not exactly sure why she doing so much kidney and liver testing - it's not like I'm a drinker and despite my weight, I'm not anywhere near diabetic risk!! LOL
Might have to go talk to my GP about hormone blood tests, he's so scared I might dissolve into tears that he'll write me a prescription for almost anything!! :lol: :lol:

Then met a mate for coffee and on to the friends that I'm house sitting for to have more chat (mostly to make sure he was back on a bit more of an even footing after the cat being put down).

I got to see and sit on his CBF1000 - I also know where the keys are and have permission to borrow the bike!! :bblonde: :bblonde: I am hoping that an 'onda might be less hurty for the shoulder/arm than the old and vibey Monster (much as I do love the Monster, she's no everyday bike just because of the hurtiness for my shoulder/arm). Crossing fingers for sunshine and warm days for some of the next 5 weeks. And that my hope comes true about the less hurty!

It is really funny, my friends keep warning me that their house is cold and the area is cold. They don't live in a resort and only slightly higher than the main town in the valley. I know their village is shady, but I'm at 2000m with no heating, so I reckon I'll survive :angelic-green:

Home to have a very early tea (before 7.30) and then finish the homework!

Now got to try and drink enough water between now and 7.30am to keep well hydrated so the veins will be easier for them to stick a needle in but not so hydrated that I need to get up loads in the night!!

Big day at school tomorrow, so I need decent sleep (TBF, that's fairly unlikely just because I know I have a blood test in the morning!!! :lol: )
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Rode to work on glorious autumnal day, the like that only England can do. The sun was shining but there was a slight chill in the air, and being a daft twat I only had a t-shirt on under my leather jacket, but the slight chill was invigorating. Had Deezer on shuffle and at one point 21 Pilots popped up and I giggled at the lyric, '..so I'm taking my time on my ride'. Very apt, as I was in no rush. From leafy Kent to the magnificence of central London.

How many people enjoy their commute to work like us bikers, eh? Truly blessed, to nick a line from our friend, The Priest. ;)
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I remember leaving work on a cold, dark winter's evening and the rain was coming in sideways. My colleague nodded to me as he walked off to his train station. The next day he said to me that he felt sorry for me being on the bike and having to ride home in that weather. I said funnily enough I thought the same as you must have been freezing and drenched by the time you got to the station whereas I was cocooned in my warm bike gear and i'd be home within the hour and I was guaranteed a seat. He said he'd never thought of it like that. Admittedly on nights like that I have to remind myself of that fact, but commuting by bike is full of win in many ways!
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Had a engineer from the immersion heater company round, its never worked in the year we have been here (new build and we are first occupants) he just told us some of the pipe work does not meet the G3 building regs, so wondering the next step.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

3872F242-C4C1-400E-8570-1B29BC99FA50.jpeg
3872F242-C4C1-400E-8570-1B29BC99FA50.jpeg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 315 times
Made the bike less dirty (don’t look @weeksy )

But after yesterdays wet commute it looked like I’d ridden it through a ditch.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Been to the dental hygienists for a descale. I think I'd rather have root canal than have every one of my teeth buzzed! No idea why but when they are doing what they do every one of my teeth goes really on edge? :wtf:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Got told a few days ago that the consultancy I contract through are too expensive for the client, so my assignment was ending on the 4th Nov - been told today that the client wants to retain my services but will now have to contract through an agency and sodding umbrella again! Shouldn't grumble as still have work and the begrudge paying the umbrella over £100 a month for nothing.

To cap it off came home to find water on the floor in the kitchen - someone has pushed the water softener back in the pantry kinking the outlet pipe, it
's regenerated today and the water had nowhere to go other than out the lid FFS :roll:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

v8-powered wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:17 pm Got told a few days ago that the consultancy I contract through are too expensive for the client, so my assignment was ending on the 4th Nov - been told today that the client wants to retain my services but will now have to contract through an agency and sodding umbrella again! Shouldn't grumble as still have work and the begrudge paying the umbrella over £100 a month for nothing.

To cap it off came home to find water on the floor in the kitchen - someone has pushed the water softener back in the pantry kinking the outlet pipe, it
's regenerated today and the water had nowhere to go other than out the lid FFS :roll:
There's a good hint to look for a new contract.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Six hours of french lessons :o :o :o :o :o

Bloody hard work! Didn't sleep well as had a blood test this morning, so extra early start! But, good lessons. Apart from me having a bit of a moment when we were supposed to read a song from a screen (supposed to sing it, but that wasn't happening!) - I can't read english when it's going across a screen that fast!!! Then I had to read aloud, in french :roll: :roll: I get seriously stressed about trying to read aloud in english so doing it in french was challenging!!! :lol: :lol:

But, all in all a good day :D :D :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

Last of the wooden floors laid today. Thank fook that's over. Now I can begin putting stuff where it ought to be,instead of falling over it every five minutes. Some things on the long missing list may even turn up,who knows.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
cheb

Post by cheb »

Floored one of my sheds with some real wood effect vinyl tiles I found in a skip.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Shortened the day by building a flatpack corner unit for Mrs.Skub's study/office.

Not high on the list of enjoyable experiences.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955