Your inappropriate £1500 secret crush.. what is it ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Bigjawa

Re: Your inappropriate £1500 secret crush.. what is it ?

Post by Bigjawa »

Rockburner wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:25 am
crust wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:56 pm
Harry wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:32 am
Do you reckon they're any good to ride though?
That one and the Goldwing custom above look nice and would probably look great in a bikers cafe on display, but I always look at them and wonder if they're any good to ride - they don't look like they are.
One of the guys at a courier company I worked for had one as a spare bike, I borrowed it a few times, they're a big, slow handling thing that's one of those bikes that's really satisfying to hustle because you've got to be smooth but firm with it. Can go surprisingly quick whilst sat upright with the radio on, a lot quicker than you'd think possible.

A certain Italian bloke with a penchant for yellow 46 stickers had one when he lived in Mayfair, surprised more than a few hardened couriers with his ability to hustle it through traffic.

The Pan is supposed to be a good handling bike - obviously it's not a sports bike designed for the track, but a road bike designed for doing huge mileages in comfort, but that doesn't mean it has to be wallowy and ponderous. You don't get to do high mileages travelling slowly. It just won't be razor sharp and setup for smooth surfaces. It'll be set up for pliant suspension and low-end torque to pull you through corners and waft you gently (if rapidly) down straights.

I'd imagine that without all the bodywork the performance would only improve!
The Pan is a great handling bike once you get above about 4mph, it never fails to amaze me how Honda got a 700lb bike to steer so easily. There's a bend on the M2 on the way out of Belfast that leads into a steep climb, it's not smooth and can tie a bike in knots. My Pan will go round it at 90 like it's on rails. You can't help but love the engine too, it's just so creamy.

Back to the original topic, for £1500, it'll be a Firestorm all day long, getting rare but not making silly money like the TL is and a very very good road bike.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:25 pm
Druid wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:01 pm
Nidge wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:15 pm I(f you promise not to tell anyone, I've always had a bit of a hankering for a CBX..... the 750.....
Take no notice of skub, the CBX750 is much under rated. Didn't help that it had to compete with Honda's own VFR, but it was quick, handled well and was reliable - no valve train issues with this 80's Honda
There a nice bike, bit bland compared with the GPZ and GSX of the same age, the engine goes on forever so long as you don't mind the alternator drive chain rattling - it rattles but never breaks. Probably the best bike Honda made before 1986.
Honda made some fine bikes before this...

CD175.
CJ250T

Sorry, my brain exploded ;).
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'd have said Firestorm, but this is a fuck ton of bike for £1500!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1992-Kawasak ... SwGQJfVn-7
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:19 pm I'd have said Firestorm, but this is a fuck ton of bike for £1500!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1992-Kawasak ... SwGQJfVn-7
Literally a ton! That's the least corroded ZZR I think I've seen. I'd have a ZX9 over that though. ZX9s are the bargain bike I've seen them as low as £1100-1200 for reasonable ones