Ducati Superlight

Anything you like about motorbikes
Taipan

Re: Ducati Superlight

Post by Taipan »

Back on track, Potter, get a test ride on a MT09! Compact, flickable, flighty, grunty and fun! :thumbup:
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Taipan wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:31 pm
Yorick wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:13 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:11 pm Hows about this...

https://www.astebolaffi.it/it/lot/151/132/detail

There's some pretty cool lots in that auction.
I bet Tiepin has already put down a deposit :obscene-birdiedoublered:
:wtf:
30k estimate :shock:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I have no idea WTF that is, but I really like it.

First part of that statement might explain the second.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:33 pm Back on track, Potter, get a test ride on a MT09! Compact, flickable, flighty, grunty and fun! :thumbup:
Geezer in a shop yesterday tried to steer me towards one of those, he said they were brilliant and perfect for what I'd described that I wanted, but they just look like the Mondeo of the bike world and it's not where I'm at.

I was out visiting and running errands yesterday and went to Raceways in Fleetwood, they had a 999S that was all done up lovely and might end up being a future classic, they had a mint SP2, a mint SMCR with some goodies on it, a couple of trick R1's.
I liked a few of the bikes and would happily have them in the garage, but then I thought if he gave me the pick of any of them and said I could take one for the day, then would I actually ride one, and the answer was no, nothing made me want to put my gear on and go for a ride.

I looked at an Africa Twin! Holy shit they're massive, intimidatingly big. The fella said he gets people in all the time who are clearly too small to ride one but they buy them anyway and struggle away on them. Madness. In fact dangerous, they're monster things and holding that up on a slippery road at traffic lights if you're not really tall would be a liability.
Potter

Post by Potter »

@weeksy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134262321786 ... Sw93ZjOxba

What do you reckon, I had a sit on it and I can touch the floor nicely and it felt like it would be fun.
The seat was a lot more comfortable than I expected.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:56 am @weeksy

What do you reckon, I had a sit on it and I can touch the floor nicely and it felt like it would be fun.
Nowt wrong with that matey.... looks sweet. The only thing to mention, i can do you the same bike for same price with 1100 on the clocks. However obviously their bike would come with some warranty whereas mine wouldn't. But the offer is there anyway. Mine is cleaner than their one obviously... but that doesn't mean theirs isn't nice.

That one though, yeah i'd buy it :)

The comfort seat is 10X better than stock... (which mine comes with).
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:19 am
Nowt wrong with that matey.... looks sweet. The only thing to mention, i can do you the same bike for same price with 1100 on the clocks. However obviously their bike would come with some warranty whereas mine wouldn't. But the offer is there anyway.

The comfort seat is 10X better than stock...
I thought yours was a keeper?

My thought, and comment to the bloke, was that it felt like my XT660 and I'm sure it would be equally as good or better, but I'd probably get bored of it quite quickly.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:21 am
weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:19 am
Nowt wrong with that matey.... looks sweet. The only thing to mention, i can do you the same bike for same price with 1100 on the clocks. However obviously their bike would come with some warranty whereas mine wouldn't. But the offer is there anyway.

The comfort seat is 10X better than stock...
I thought yours was a keeper?

My thought, and comment to the bloke, was that it felt like my XT660 and I'm sure it would be equally as good or better, but I'd probably get bored of it quite quickly.
I don't think you would, it's way way lighter than the 660X and the handling is night and day better because of it and the WP suspension. Throw in the quick shifter up and auto blipper down, it's a winner.

My next phrase will cost me the sale though :D

Simple answer is, i don't use it. I'm unlikely to change that much next year either due to MTB racing for my lad.. I'd bet if it stays (which it likely will as i'm unlikely to advertise it lol), then i'll put 500-700 miles on it next year tops... And i'm not honestly sure there's much point.

Now i'm used to the riding position and handling, i absolutely LOVE the bike... but as i say... time is against me at the moment.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:06 am
Taipan wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:33 pm Back on track, Potter, get a test ride on a MT09! Compact, flickable, flighty, grunty and fun! :thumbup:
Geezer in a shop yesterday tried to steer me towards one of those, he said they were brilliant and perfect for what I'd described that I wanted, but they just look like the Mondeo of the bike world and it's not where I'm at.
:shock: Mondeo!! :x

:lol:

Seriously though, he's right. The reason these punchy, mid-range naked bikes are so popular, is they are such real-world riding fun. Journos don't endorse these things for any other reason than that. You should try some of these bikes. Garage love is all well and good, but ultimately bikes are for riding, not just looking at!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mate of mine has an Africa twin, he's also 5 foot 7. He has to mount it like it's a horse, standing on the footpeg :D
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:44 am Mate of mine has an Africa twin, he's also 5 foot 7. He has to mount it like it's a horse, standing on the footpeg :D
I used to do that with my DRZ400, I wouldn't want to do it with anything any heavier, as there will be situations where your feet won't reach the ground
Honda Owner
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Has the super light been bought yet?
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:25 am
I don't think you would, it's way way lighter than the 660X and the handling is night and day better because of it and the WP suspension. Throw in the quick shifter up and auto blipper down, it's a winner.

My next phrase will cost me the sale though :D

Simple answer is, i don't use it. I'm unlikely to change that much next year either due to MTB racing for my lad.. I'd bet if it stays (which it likely will as i'm unlikely to advertise it lol), then i'll put 500-700 miles on it next year tops... And i'm not honestly sure there's much point.

Now i'm used to the riding position and handling, i absolutely LOVE the bike... but as i say... time is against me at the moment.
That's the thing, I'd be surprised if I did 200 miles a year on any of my bikes, I just don't feel like riding them.
I need something really special to light my fire.

I ride on my own, I don't really like riding with other people, it's all about a bit of escape and spending time on my own, so a bike has to feel special or nostalgic for me to go out on it - like my boat, it's a lovely old thing, all teak and with loads of really interesting history - probably the equivalent of you preferring MTBs to your motorcycle.

The SL was something I'd wanted for donkeys years, so I thought that might have ticked the box.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:57 am Has the super light been bought yet?
Geezer wanted more money than I wanted to pay, he'd tried to sell it a couple of times but no takers at that price, so he said he was just going to put it back away for a few years, I don't think he needs the money, he has a collection of Porsches.
mboy

Post by mboy »

Potter wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:56 am

My Gasgas version turned up at lunchtime today... 👍🏻

Looking forward to getting out on it!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

mboy wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:47 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:56 am

My Gasgas version turned up at lunchtime today... 👍🏻

Looking forward to getting out on it!
Let us know how it goes
Potter

Post by Potter »

That does look proper nice, I don't know if it's the angle but that looks a lot better than the KTM and the Hypermotard.
Take some more pictures and let us know how it goes - I didn't even know they existed and it looks the bollox.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It's a red KTM with GasGas stickers.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:56 am It's a red KTM with GasGas stickers.
Aye, basically.... and heavier cast wheels.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Looks a lot nicer though, perhaps it's just the paint?