R1Dave's first season of racing.

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
R1Dave

Re: R1Dave's first season of racing.

Post by R1Dave »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:45 pm Ah, I'm a couple of years out of date, it used to be sponsored by Black widow Exhausts with no Suzuki support.

It's strange that Suzuki offically support ancient Mk1 Blandit 600 racing, they bare no semblance of any model they currently sell.
You're allowed to race Mk2 aswell, but that's the cap, the bikes handle like boats, even with decent suspension, but that the fun in it, just hammer the life out of them and hope for the best lol.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

R1Dave wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:50 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:45 pm Ah, I'm a couple of years out of date, it used to be sponsored by Black widow Exhausts with no Suzuki support.

It's strange that Suzuki offically support ancient Mk1 Blandit 600 racing, they bare no semblance of any model they currently sell.
You're allowed to race Mk2 aswell, but that's the cap, the bikes handle like boats, even with decent suspension, but that the fun in it, just hammer the life out of them and hope for the best lol.
I was racing Desmo Due with NGRRC when the Blandits started up, looked an interesting class. It's a shame they allow warmers tho'
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

wull wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:29 pm Cracking write up Dave, enjoyed that! Makes me want to get back racing again as I miss that excitement, that buzz but it’s purely financial reasons for me, once funds are good again I’ll get back at it, pity I’ll have to start from scratch again.

Keep them coming 💪🏻🔥
Cheers bud, yeah it's certainly not cheap, even at the low end, i've tried making tyres on the Bandit last 4 rounds just about, but they are well past their prime at that point, the R1... well... i'd rather not talk about it :cry:

Currently costings for those interested.

Race entry fees £450
transport to circuit £100
Fuel for bikes £120
Tyres for Bandit £220 (lasts 4 rounds)
Tyres for R1 330-400 (last one round)
Food etc £30 ( I don't drink which is a bonus)
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:51 pm
R1Dave wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:50 pm

I was racing Desmo Due with NGRRC when the Blandits started up, looked an interesting class. It's a shame they allow warmers tho'
Yeah tbh i don't think they are really needed on the Bandits, control tyres are Dunlops and plenty on a dry day don't use them, in fairness, i do, because i can, but don't have to.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

R1Dave wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:44 pm Yeah so that's what i race in, the Suzuki Challenge cup, i've just checked the race results and Dave Crampton has been racing this year, currently 5th in the Championship, i probably know him tbh, i'm just crap with names lol.
Make sure you mention me to Dave. He won't forget me :D
We shared van and trailer for our first 2 seasons. He's 61 now and doing Bol D'or this weekend. :D

Him 4th. Me in lead.
FB_IMG_1593347919289.jpg
FB_IMG_1593347919289.jpg (127.04 KiB) Viewed 439 times
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

weeksy wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:51 pm Ahhhhhh the memories... My first race was with NGRRC at Keevil airfield... i shattered many bones.

It got slightly better from there, but not massively.

Your posts though bring back a lot of memories
It sounds a painful experience bud, thankfully, although i've had some proper moments, i've managed to stay on so far, but i'm under no illusions that i will continue to with such good luck.

The memories for me are all i care about tbh, while i'm very competitive and want to win, it's not my main goal, that is just to enjoy the process and have fun.
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

Yorick wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:59 pm
R1Dave wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:44 pm Yeah so that's what i race in, the Suzuki Challenge cup, i've just checked the race results and Dave Crampton has been racing this year, currently 5th in the Championship, i probably know him tbh, i'm just crap with names lol.
We shared van and trailer for our first 2 seasons. He's 61 now and doing Bol D'or this weekend. :D

Him 4th. Me in lead.

FB_IMG_1593347919289.jpg
I love it! great pictures and i bet a load of awesome memories! i shall absolutely mention you bud!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It just means more expense and more to carry around (generator) and generally more to worry about.

Back when DD had their own grids they didn't even use wets. It was only when they had to share grids with other classes that they went to wets for safety reasons.

I managed a full season of DD on a single pair of tyres once and came 5th in the championship.

We were gridded up with the Blandits at Thuruxton one year, that was interesting cos the Blandits were a fuck ton quicker down the straights, but the DD bikes a shit ton better braked with probably double the corner speed.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

R1Dave wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:03 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:59 pm

Him 4th. Me in lead.

FB_IMG_1593347919289.jpg
I love it! great pictures and i bet a load of awesome memories! i shall absolutely mention you bud!
20210516_185736.jpg
20210516_185736.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 431 times
20210516_185404.jpg
20210516_185404.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 431 times
IMG-20200331-WA0042.jpg
IMG-20200331-WA0042.jpg (97.56 KiB) Viewed 431 times
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Me
IMG-20210501-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20210501-WA0002.jpg (340.3 KiB) Viewed 430 times

Dave
FB_IMG_1621186252833.jpg
FB_IMG_1621186252833.jpg (170.67 KiB) Viewed 430 times
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

😂😂 like worzel gummidge took up racing lol.

Love the hot pants 😂
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

R1Dave wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:36 pm 😂😂 like worzel gummidge took up racing lol.

Love the hot pants 😂
That's ironic coz Cramps still calls me Worzel.
First race at Cadwell I decided to go into the Gooseneck a bit too quick.
RD400 exhaust dug in and spat me off.
Me and bike demolished the straw bales. When Dave passed he said i came out looking Worzel Gummidge :(

Good Times.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Don't worry about all that old bollocks, yeah? And worse still, letting other people indulge themselves at our expense with lengthy anecdotes.

Just have them on the brakes then gan it reet over. :thumbup:
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
singlesman

Post by singlesman »

What a brilliant write up, thanks.
Certainly brings back the addictive buzz of racing, no matter at what level, just seems to take over your life!😀
From the videos club racing certainly seems to have stepped up a notch from my day, but guess bike and tyre technology has moved on as well, so all relative.
Wishing you all the very best with it, quite envious!
Not envious of having to keep a modern R1 in tyres though 😂
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Enjoyed that, makes me wanna race again but then i realise i'm old and slow :)
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

Cheers guys much appreciated, certainly the level, even in rookies classes is very high from what I've experienced, we were doing 1:13s at Donington, with the leader luke doing 1:12s, fast times even if we were in powerbikes, but tyres..it's eye Watering on the r1.
I've loved every bit of it though and can't wait to go again next year, I imagine this little cbr400rr is gonna be a load of fun.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Loving this!! I'm still hoping to get the chance to get on track and maybe (possibly/maybe) get the chance to race again (wayyyyyy slower than you and anyone else on here that's raced!). I tried to race a ZX10r (only in Endurance) and whilst I wasn't the slowest and did improve, TBH, the 10r scared me! I wasn't worried in corners (surprised a few by being faster in corners than my straight line speed suggested) but didn't have the bottle for the straights (cos then I had to get it around the corners!)

The Monster I have here was bought to do DesmoDue. Still hoping for that one day :D

Bloody loved reading this tho. Sitting here with a huge grin on my face :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
crust

Post by crust »

Great write up, thanks :thumbup:
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

Thanks so much guys, glad to see it's enjoyed.
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

So.... it's a a while since i updated this..

As is always the case life, work and all the rest of it gets in the way.

So i'll start with the 2023 season.

I'd sold the Bandit and me and my team mate scott decided to jump into Bemsee and do a full season in the Rookie 1000s.

Brand Hatch Round 1

A mixed weekend in fairness.

Race 1 saw me come over the line in 7th, a decent result but i was dissapointed, just didn't feel comfy on the bike and couldn't get settled.
Race 2 was much the same sadly, holding on to tight and getting arm pump ( an issue i'd battle with throughout the year) i crossed the line in 6th.
Race 3 was better, a full nights sleep helped loads, had a good race and battled my way through, coming over the line in 3rd and taking my first podium.
Race 4 was tough, we had some rain shortly before heading out, and it was anyone's guess whether to put wets on or not, i opted to stay with slicks as did few others.. it made for tricky conditions, i finished 4th.

Here's race 4

Pembrey Round 2

My home round, while i've done many a trackday here, i hate the place, just never really getting on with it at all.

Race 1 and i felt good, pace was ok, just pipped at the line by my team mate scott, he's quick here and enjoys the track finishing 4th.
Race 2 was a exactly the same as race 1, coming over the line in 4th again.
Race 3 .... a theme is forming, i'm not pushing the way i can and coasting, rather than fighting, another 4th.
Race 4 Scott crashes out of 1st place after pulling the pin and gapping everyone by seconds within half a lap, he doesn't realise he's miles ahead, keeps pushing and tucks the front into turn 1, i cross the line to take a 3rd, but i lead the race for a few laps, there's a lot of positives taken from this weekend.

Here's Race 3

Race 4

Snetterton Round 3

One of my faves, i love Snetterton, it's fast, ballsy and rewards being smooth, but whether through training while in work, just my job in general or some other reason, i'm suffering really bad with arm pump, even on the test day i can only manage a few laps before my pace falls off a cliff and i can no longer ride the bike.

Race 1 i get a good start, managed to get to 3rd, before lap 5 and the arm pump is just too much, i can barely hold the throttle, even down the back straight my terminal speed goes from 167mph to 97mph by the end of the race. i finish 6th.
Race 2 is monsoon conditions, to be honest, we are all shocked it was allowed to go ahead, the track is literally a river in places, i wobble about as best i can while trying to stay on, crossing the line in 8th.
Race 3 is a mirror of race 1, fast, then arm pump, i finish in 6th again.
Race 4 and i've got nothing left in the tank, my arms are in bits from the off, i finish in 8th.
A weekend to forget and i leave frustrated but focussed on getting this damn arm pump issue sorted.

Here's Race 2 (wet)

Race 3

Race 4

Donington Park Round 4

My fave, but sadly a weekend plagued with arm pump and bike issues, i was really dissapointment as i was looking forward to it so much.
Race 1 ..7th
Race 2 ..7th
Race 3 ..6th
Race 4 ..7th :(

Race 1
[media][/media]

Race 2

Race 3

Race 4

Cadwell Park Round 5

Round 5 saw us visit Cadwell, another fave of mine, it's seems to be a marmite track for people, with some hating for it narrowness, the mountain etc, while others love it for those reasons, i'm firmly in the latter camp. There's a few track where the R1 just seems to click with, and Cadwell is one of those, i adore the place and love getting some air time over the moutain.

Race 1, Great start, we had Mr Bedwell join us for this round, really nice guy that used to race Superstock, his licence had lapsed, so they put him in with us Rookies, he wasn't happy knowing he's had much more experience, so they moved him after race 3.
Anyway, i got away well, arm pump started coming in by lap 5 but came home in 3rd and was really happy.

Race 2, another good start but found it more difficult battling the arm pump, managed to hold off and again got a 3rd.

Race 3/4 After a horrific crash in the morning, our race 4 was cancelled and Race 3 was to be a 12 lap race... i got away well, leading for a lap or two, before the arm pump started, it just got worse and worse, to the point i was almost crashing, being unable to hold onto the bike no longer, by lap 10 i was done, i went from doing sub 1:40s to 2:00 and it just got too dangerous to stay out. a DNF.

Race 1

Race 2

Race 3

Snetterton Round 6

Determined to sort the arm pump out, i seeked help with OCC health in work, a while my diet has always been pretty good, i was able to make some positive changes and sort my hydration on pre and while racing, we also move the clip ons out, adjusted the rearsets and fitted some fatter grips... the best part of all this... it worked.

Race 1, a great start and i felt fantastic, more alert and focused, my pace didn't drop off and for the first time all season, i got faster as the race went on, finishing 3rd.

Race 2 another good start, had a battle though and was pipped at the end, 4th.

Race 3 Well rested, i was determined to push on, which i did, coming home again in 3rd.

Race 4 was probably the best race, i had an awesome battle with my team mate scott which you can watch towards the end of the video, he came passed, i got passed him, almost collecting a back marker which he missed and got in front, only for me to go up the inside into T1. An awesome weekend and another 3rd.

Race 1

Race 2

Race 3

Race 4

Up until this point i'd not really looked at my position in the championship, but was shocked to see i was in third, and by a fair few points, all i need was to get a good result in one race at the last round and i could secure 3RD, the only issue being i was working nights on the saturday and sunday..

Meaning i'd have to leave early on saturday morning to get there, do one race, get a good result, and get back home in time for work..

My fate was sealed...

Brands Hatch Round 7

I left home at 0330hrs, getting to the track in good time to set up and chill before qualifying.

Race 1, a great start saw me fighting for 2nd, i felt fast, the bike felt great and no arm pump, i came over the line in 3rd, job done.....
"you've done it dave, just go home" the guys said, but i felt great, i was sure i could do another race and make it back..i should have listened...

Race 1

Prior to Race 2, there was a nasty off just before the tip in point to Graham hill, the fast left hander after Druids, resulting in the Heli landing just on track to the right.

Race 2 i great start, straight into second and fighting for first into Druids, i pin the throttle coming out and start to tip into the left....and that's it...that's all i can remember.

from the others racing and data pulled from the bike, i've been able to rebuild what happen, i accelerated out of Druids, moving over to the right before tipping into the left, brake pressure is the same as before, same place, i lean the bike 5 degrees at 120mph, then it goes wrong really fast, the front instantly goes, my head hits the floor, my helmet splits in two but thankfully stays intact and me and the bike start tumbling across the grass.

I was knocked out straight away as my head hit the floor, which helped in a way, but still came away with two broken rips, a fractured wrist and severe concussion, but very lucky.
two weeks later i was collecting my trophy for 3rd in the Championship, a week after that my son was born and the racing has kind of taken to the back burner while everything has settled this year.

But i'm racing this coming weekend with NGRRC at Doningtion, joining the True Heroes Racing team for a round and see where it goes, really looking forward to it, the bike is rebuilt and looking awesome, so that's all ready to go, it's exciting i guess is what i'm getting at :lol:

I'll also be joining No Limits Endurance next year which is something i've wanted to do for ages, more time on the bike can only be a good thing and i like the team aspect of it.

Anyway enough of my rambling, if you've go this far i thank you, couldn't have been easy :P

It