Earpeace earplgugs, recommendation...

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Nordboy

Re: Earpeace earplgugs, recommendation...

Post by Nordboy »

Another thing to think about with the moulded ones, is that the ear shape changes as you get older. I have three pairs that I can currently find (been through a few more pairs than that over the years through my 'clumsyness') and if I look at the pair I got last year, the shape is very different from the ones I got done 15 yrs ago.

I'm lucky as work buys them for me, we replace them every 5 years, so you'll possibly need to budget that in or they may not be giving you the hearing protection you think they are in years to come.
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

I must thank Weeksy for recommending these earplugs. I had been using Ultimate Ear Protection moulded plugs but, after about 15 years, I'd noticed that they weren't sealing very well and quite a bit of wind noise was getting through.

So, although I'd switched back to foam disposables, I fancied something reusable again but without the cost of custom fitted jobbies.

I'd considered the new Pinlock plugs as, on paper, they appeared to be almost identical to these Earpeace ones. But, after reading mixed reviews, I decided to stick with disposables.

After reading Weeksy's glowing review, I thought I'd give the Earpeaces a try and, after riding with them for three weeks, I have to concur with Weeksy's findings; these are the best plugs I've ever ridden with.

I'd never ridden with filtered plugs before and, initially, it seems that the plugs aren't as good as disposables. But that's only because some sounds are, (by design), allowed through. Once you're used to that, you realise that the damaging wind roar is still filtered out. I'm using the strongest of the three filters and I like the fact that I can now hear both the exhaust and intake growl on my Ducati.

The plugs are easier to insert than disposables and more comfortable than my old moulded ones - once they're in, I can't even feel them. They also don't get dislodged or moved when you put your helmet on. Dead easy to keep clean too.

My only problem early on was mispositioning the removal tabs; a couple of times I couldn't find one and spent five minutes trying to prise the reluctant plug out. Still, at least it shows that the plugs seal well! Now I'm used to them, I've not had that problem again.

The fact you get a spare plug and filters is a nice touch and the machined aluminium carrying case is a good indication of the overall quality of the product.

So, thanks again, Weeksy! Highly recommended. :thumbup:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Funnily enough I went on their site yesterday but said they were sold out :( Will try again later. I like disposable ones but will probably try these out. Like you I also looked at the Pinlock ones as they were in MCN the other week and seem to be similar but same as you the mixed reviews put me off so will wait for these.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Luddite wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:14 pm
and I like the fact that I can now hear both the exhaust and intake growl on my Ducati.
This was the only thing I didn't like with the moulded ones - couldn't hear the bike!! On the TL it wasn't so bad as I could 'feel' it more, but the 10r was so smooth it was weird. Got used to it tho

Still have the moulded ones, so will see if they still fit in the spring and maybe try some of the Weeksy recommends as well :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Interesting thread as i was contemplating getting soem proper moulded ones as i always use disposables so far.

I normally buy a pack of these from Infinity when they have their bank holiday "have a free tenner on us " voucher. Handily the Oxford pack of 30 costs 9.99 so they cost me bugger all :thumbup:

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/pro ... gITQ_D_BwE
Funners

Post by Funners »

Ear plugs....funny things really, Ive always used them, epsecially after reading an article about the how low riding times are before damage occurrs.... :o
I used disposable ones for years without issue, until I started doing multi-day tours, when I found I was getting sore ears/ear infections after about 3 days of use, I changed the plugs regularly and made sure they were clean but I suspect the in/out everyday was the culprit, so I gulped and invested in some ultimate ear Moulded custom plugs, ear impressions by Scrivens....included an ear examination then excellent service from UE, handy storage pouch and no more ear infections, I'm now on my 3rd pair from them, some "squidgy" ones, I use for work, I've just killed my wired in intercom ones...a sad day, and replaced them with some filtered ones.
they have all been ALL day comfortable even on extended tours, my hearing is above average for my age so they must be doing something, in fact the only downside is the cost, but worth it IMO
Skub

Post by Skub »

Well,given the opinion of folk who have been impressed with the moulded type plug,I thought I'd try these DIY jobbies.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROGUARD-Mou ... 1438.l2649

Unmitigated failure.

I followed the instructions and all seemed fine until I tried using them with a helmet. Every time the padding slightly dislodged the plugs and then there was no way to reseat them. I'll keep them for noisy power tools,but these are feck all use with a lid.

£25 poorer,but wiser and back to the drawing board.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Funners

Post by Funners »

Skub wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:43 pm Well,given the opinion of folk who have been impressed with the moulded type plug,I thought I'd try these DIY jobbies.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROGUARD-Mou ... 1438.l2649

Unmitigated failure.

I followed the instructions and all seemed fine until I tried using them with a helmet. Every time the padding slightly dislodged the plugs and then there was no way to reseat them. I'll keep them for noisy power tools,but these are feck all use with a lid.

£25 poorer,but wiser and back to the drawing board.
just get yer hand in ya pocket ya tight Bog'Opper........ the filtered ones are about £85 plus the moulds, but you get to keep them and can have other plugs made if needed :mrgreen:
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

I had mine done by Custom Fit, I had to have an appointment done at a local hearing aid clinic and the cost was then taken off the overall cost of the ear plugs. The chap at the hearing aid place did comment that he wished more bikers would wear protection. My wife got her moulds done by the company themselves at their stand at Motorcycle Live but obviously events like that are few and far between at the mo.....

Personally I can't ride without them now. I remember my ears ringing after training days when I was doing my A licence. I never could get the hang of stuffing ear plugs in my ear but these are simple and can still hear the intercom. I even wore them on an easyJet flight to get rid of the background noise, much more pleasant :lol:
Skub

Post by Skub »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:27 am https://www.earpeace.co.uk/products/mot ... gJfe_D_BwE

Bought some of these from a recommendation over on Performance Bikes forum.

Tried them today and they wipe the floor with both my squidgy type and also the Auritech ones i have.... really impressed.

For some weird reason you get 3... which is good just in case you lose one. Along with multiple filters you can install to decrease or increase the levels of sound blocking.

Overall, absolute bargain.
I had to try these.

Pretty damn good,I hope they stay that way.

Black filters in to block maximum noise. 8-)
Walt Whitman
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

I use 25db drummers ear plugs they work well and you can hear just enough to stay safe
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:15 pm I've got super duper moulded ones., And if anything they're too good.
I've used the foam ones for years over various jobs, and they mostly work, but they're a faff, and I could never get a pair seated in my lug oles identically, which bugged me.
How do you put them in? In case you (or others) don't know, the way to open your ear canal to insert the plugs is to reach above and towards the back of your head with your arm and pull the opposite side ear upwards and backwards and "roll up" the plug and just inset. Been using disposable ones for years with no problems at all.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Taipan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:57 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:15 pm I've got super duper moulded ones., And if anything they're too good.
I've used the foam ones for years over various jobs, and they mostly work, but they're a faff, and I could never get a pair seated in my lug oles identically, which bugged me.
How do you put them in?
The right way, it's most likely a wee bit of OCD on my part, I can get them in and they do the job, but if they don't 'feel' identical left to right it bugs me
Skub

Post by Skub »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:07 pm
The right way, it's most likely a wee bit of OCD on my part, I can get them in and they do the job, but if they don't 'feel' identical left to right it bugs me
I'm the same. If the stereo balance is off in any way,it's hyper annoying.
Walt Whitman
Claude

Post by Claude »

I've always used the Howard Leight Rhubarb and Custard's and put a fresh pair in every ride.

https://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.u ... gKvF_D_BwE
Falcoholic

Post by Falcoholic »

So I tried the Earpeace ones. I used the black inserts but was still bothered by wind noise a bit. I suffer from tinitus and have really sensitive hearing and I find the good old rhubarb and custard ones to be the best for comfort and shutting out noise.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Falcoholic wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:14 pm So I tried the Earpeace ones. I used the black inserts but was still bothered by wind noise a bit. I suffer from tinitus and have really sensitive hearing and I find the good old rhubarb and custard ones to be the best for comfort and shutting out noise.
Hmmm. I use the foam ones and happy with em on how much they cut out of every noise. Annoying when trying to have a brief traffic light chat but that's rare. I was thinking of the earpeace's so you don't have to replace them, do they let in much wind noise?