Triumph Street Scrambler

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Skub

Re: Triumph Street Scrambler

Post by Skub »

Yeah,works for me. I have to admit I didn't think it was a good idea at the start,but that's quite cool.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Good effort. When you did the wrap I preferred the black but that looks really good.
ajlog

Post by ajlog »

Swapped the bar-end mirrors for a more traditional solution.

A few weeks back I was parked up next to a very nice 80’s BMW R that had been modded to a scrambler look and he had a single stainless steel mirror fitted. I must admit that suited this style of bike better than the 2 black bar-end mirrors I had fitted.
They had a nice 90degree bend in them and a long stalk that I liked the look of.

I couldn’t find these on the web, so I opted for a cheap set of chrome ones to get a feel for how it looks.

These ones have quite a short stalk and the rear view is nowhere as good as the bar-end ones, you need to do the tuck your elbow in and bob your head type move to get a good view behind.
Having said that, this bike does not need the same level of checking your six as progress is much more sedate these days.

If I really feel the need to get the same as fitted to that BM I can always head back to where I saw it, the guy that owns the shop knows the BMW owner.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Looks cool. I'd debated something similar myself. I don't mind the look of bar ends,but sometimes they get in the way when pushing the bike in and out the garage.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
crust

Post by crust »

Very cool looking bike :thumbup:

Nice tasteful mods in keeping with bike.
Ben17484

Post by Ben17484 »

This is a very cool bike! I’d love to have one one day.
ajlog

Post by ajlog »

It’s been a while, 2023 spanner twiddling was standard maintenance stuff, I didn’t make any cosmetic changes and I simply rode it and left it alone so nothing to report on this thread.

But over that time one of the things that was niggling me is the look of the rear end, its a custom concoction I have made up from after market lights and the aluminium rear mudguard from the Triumph Scrambler 1200 chopped about to fit. A solution that to me looked far better than the standard light cluster and black plastic mudguard.

However over time I felt it looked a bit too ‘heavy’, extends a little too far and the rear light / numberplate are awkward then the radius of the mudguard doesn’t fit that of the rear wheel, it looks like it flares out away from the tyre as it moves back.

So this winter I had an idea to swap the set-up for an aftermarket tail tidy, There are a few available from various vendors ranging from about £50 to hundreds. I settled for a cheap option for just under 50 quid including a copy of a Lucas tail light.
A few bolts later and the rear end was swapped over.

I liked the fact the rear had less visual mass, but I was not happy I had achieved what I wanted, the look was a bit generic and it had taken something away from the look of the bike in terms of balance and theme.

So I looked to see if I could combine the 2 elements in a sort of ‘best of both worlds’ approach.

Obviously the 2 parts aren’t designed to fit together so I knew there’d be a bit of jiggery pokery involved mating the parts into a sort of cohesive form.

I was fortunate that when lining up the original fixing holes for the 2 parts put the rear mudguard in a position that gave me the look I wanted.
I hadn’t used these originally as I needed to leave an extra length of overhang to mount the rear light and numberplate.

What didn’t work was fitting the tail tidy inside the mudgaurd and due to the different radius of the mudguard compared to the rear wheel / frame it would not rotate further into the bike frame.
A bit of cutting, filing and fettling later I got them to look vaguely like they are meant to be there.
The tail tidy needed to be trimmed down in width and the rear mudguard shortened quite a bit.

8 bolts later it’s all together on the bike, I like this, it’s now ready for an MOT in a couple of weeks with a working numberplate light and numberplate at a more correct angle.

I think I’ll keep it like this for now until I can build up the cash or confidence to do the job properly by chopping back the frame rails and adding a hoop to suit the shorter seat getting ride of the strange black panel at the rear, as can be seen in the photos I have re-fitted the small rack the sits in this space to try and break up expanse of plastic for now.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Love this bike!
McNab

Post by McNab »

I chopped in my street triple for one last summer, I absolutely love it.

I was looking at the chrome model, but the 'chrome' part was just a sticker, not proper chromed like some of the other Triumph models. So I ended up going for a black one as that was in stock. It's pretty much stock apart from a Zard exhaust, tail tidy and bar end mirrors.

It's probably in my top 3 bikes I've owned the list, in no particular order, is Gen 1 R6, 2013 street triple R and this.
ajlog

Post by ajlog »

McNab wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:20 am I chopped in my street triple for one last summer, I absolutely love it.

I was looking at the chrome model, but the 'chrome' part was just a sticker, not proper chromed like some of the other Triumph models. So I ended up going for a black one as that was in stock. It's pretty much stock apart from a Zard exhaust, tail tidy and bar end mirrors.

It's probably in my top 3 bikes I've owned the list, in no particular order, is Gen 1 R6, 2013 street triple R and this.
Had mine 3 years now, and similarly I love it, for me it's the right bike at the right time, don't have the free time for big tours or track days, don't have the old enthusiasm for scratching, age has mellowed my pace to something a bit more sedate these days, and this little Triumph suits that combo.

It's perfect for what I want from riding these days, something to tinker with, ride on sunny Sundays exploring quite little roads away from the beaten track.

The one upgrade I would recommend for comfort and composure is swapping the rear shocks for something less budget, I went for YSS as a good compromise on cost / quality (1/2 the price of the Triumph FOX option) and putting some progressive springs in the front.
ajlog

Post by ajlog »

You know it was only about a week ago I said something along the lines of I’ll keep it like this for now, well I’ve been fiddling again.

That black plastic cowl thing has been troubling me, It extends too far back, I was hoping that fitting the rack thing would help but it’s not what I am looking for.
I have gone and ‘bobbed’ it, lopped off about 25mm from the end and left the rack in the shed.

I’d love to leave it off altogether, but the rear frame rails extend back there with a mounting bracket for the full length seat.

Chopping bits off I can do, it’s the fabrication, welding and finishing that is beyond my skill set.
There’s a few places locally that I can talk to, as what I’d like to do is cut the rails just behind those threaded bosses removing the last 150mm and the bracket. Then weld a loop to link the 2 rails and house the 2 rear fixings for the mudguard (currently those 2 stainless hex head bolts on the bracket.
The wiring I can re-route and locate back under the seat, no problem.

Then it would look more like this, with the mudguard exposed behind the seat, between the seat and the frame rail.

More in keeping with the original Triumph TR6 Desert Sled style Scramblers like this one.

Enjoying the journey, with this.
ajlog

Post by ajlog »

Renewed the MOT yesterday, so another 12 months covered.
Was good timing as the weather here today was great, full Spring in all its glory, I would have been a bit miffed if I was stuck with no ticket.