What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

Recovering from a serious sleep (can't remember the last time I slept for 10 hours!!) by cleaning!!

Done the twirly kitchen cupboard shelves.
Sorted some stuff I don't need and shouldn't keep (and moved some stuff I don't need but want to keep to be out of the way!!)
Cleaned the oven
Filled up the weeks med container!! LOL :1 (Damn that makes me feel old, luckily the only actual 'med' is the HRT tablet!! :lol: Although that still makes me feel old!)
Done an Amazon order for a couple of things I do need (important thing being a folding 'bin' that I can fit on the wall, out of the way!! More counter space then!)
So, since the computer is open I'm here :D :D :lol:

Next to finish some sorting, put the meds (well, ok, supplements :roll:) back in the cupboard () and then take the rubbish out to the corridor.
Then finish cleaning the oven shelves - they are currently in the shower with oven cleaner on them :o - cleaned the oven earlier!
Once they are back in the oven, I'll sweep and mop the floor as far as the bathroom - will do the last bit when I go out to take the rubbish out :D :D

No idea why I'm feeling so productive today. I did start the day watching a Mission Impossible film. I don't think I've ever watched any before. So, the first two were in the wrong order - I've since started at the beginning and am half way through the first one :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe that's instilling some get up and go into me :D :D

:bblonde: :bblonde:

Must head to the garage later to check the bolts on the Monster and see if I can find the brake bleeding kit :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Done more miles this year on my trottinette than the xsr!
Skub

Post by Skub »

My sister and I had our last wander around my Da's house and gardens before we sign the contract next week. We had a good old reminisce,but memories don't stick to houses,they're just an empty shell.

The end of an era for us both.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Skub wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:20 pm My sister and I had our last wander around my Da's house and gardens before we sign the contract next week. We had a good old reminisce,but memories don't stick to houses,they're just an empty shell.

I've "liked" that but... well Y'know what I mean.

As for me, today I've met up with a mate and just went for a walk.
Nice to catch up with my mate since primary school and the dog loved it chasing about by the river* Caldew. The dogs knackered now (cos he's had three walks today) and giving it big Zzzz's and I'm chuffed to bits cos I only found out yesterday that it was bank holiday Monday this weekend.
I won't get paid for it but I don't care.

*Carlisle's pretty well served as far as rivers are concerned (sometimes too well served and it floods) so theres a lot of riverside walks to go at with Kingfishers, Dippers, Herons and apparently Otters to see.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

demographic wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:41 pm
Skub wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:20 pm My sister and I had our last wander around my Da's house and gardens before we sign the contract next week. We had a good old reminisce,but memories don't stick to houses,they're just an empty shell.

I've "liked" that but... well Y'know what I mean.

As for me, today I've met up with a mate and just went for a walk.
Nice to catch up with my mate since primary school and the dog loved it chasing about by the river* Caldew. The dogs knackered now (cos he's had three walks today) and giving it big Zzzz's and I'm chuffed to bits cos I only found out yesterday that it was bank holiday Monday this weekend.
I won't get paid for it but I don't care.

*Carlisle's pretty well served as far as rivers are concerned (sometimes too well served and it floods) so theres a lot of riverside walks to go at with Kingfishers, Dippers, Herons and apparently Otters to see.
What's your general impression of Carlisle*? I always seemed to be there in the grip of winter so have a pretty gloomy memory of it (dark, wet stone - or white if it was snowing - as it often did on the way back to Newcastle!) but did wonder what it was like when the sun shines.

* Dunno if that's where you're based...you might have more than a 'general impression'!
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
demographic

Post by demographic »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:51 pm What's your general impression of Carlisle*? I always seemed to be there in the grip of winter so have a pretty gloomy memory of it (dark, wet stone - or white if it was snowing - as it often did on the way back to Newcastle!) but did wonder what it was like when the sun shines.

* Dunno if that's where you're based...you might have more than a 'general impression'!
I've lived pretty close all my life and as a kid lived on a hillfarm.
So when I was a kid it was a town full of evil nasty "townies" but I like the place.
Its small enough to get through it fast enough, got enough in the way of Unis and FE colleges that its getting to be far more cosmopolitan nowadays.
Also it's close to the Lakes, Scotland (which lets face it, is nicer than the Lakes anyway) Hadrians wall and Whin Sill which has good crags, proper castle and not a scabby ruin.
It's not perfect but I like it. Maybe a bit too insular, still too much racism (same thing I guess?) but it's improving.

Yeah, it's alright. I like it anyway.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'm weirdly tired! But it's been a good day.

Pasty shop lady is in Les Gets watching mad cyclists, so I chatted with the girl that is minding the shop for the day which was ace.
Met a friend and his lady that I've not seen for YEARS, they stopped in Bourg en route to Susa.
Chatted more with the shop minding lady (another female friend of same/similar brain made I think :D ).
Went to the DIY store to get a bolt to replace the one that fell out of the left side exhaust hanger (bonus was that Ben had cable ties in his tank bag!!) - I really need to get in the habit of checking the bolts after a bimble!!
Rode home and stopped at a friends part way up for a cuppa.
Got home and went for coffee with some friends up here.
Then got on the local bus to chat with my other new friend, the driver!! LOL Interesting mix of French and English chat - trying to work out the translations for random words and phrases. Daft things like the French do not say "I am 30" or "I am cold" or even "I am hungry"!!! The middle one is quite important - if you translate directly and say Je suis froid or Je suis chaud, it does NOT mean what you want to say!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: DO use J'ai froid or J'ai chaud :lol: :lol: :lol: Also, the french say - I'm in the bus, not on the bus :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Kinda fun chatting with someone with a bit of English and we chat in a mix of both languages!! :D :D

Been a good day, I'm knackered and going to bed in a mo!! :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Noggin wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:23 pm My bolts fall out
Get some thread lock.

My go to for medium applications is Loctite 248. Get it in the stick form, easy to apply and the stick will last for years.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

demographic wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:18 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:51 pm What's your general impression of Carlisle*? I always seemed to be there in the grip of winter so have a pretty gloomy memory of it (dark, wet stone - or white if it was snowing - as it often did on the way back to Newcastle!) but did wonder what it was like when the sun shines.

I've lived pretty close all my life and as a kid lived on a hillfarm.
So when I was a kid it was a town full of evil nasty "townies" but I like the place.
Its small enough to get through it fast enough, got enough in the way of Unis and FE colleges that its getting to be far more cosmopolitan nowadays.
Also it's close to the Lakes, Scotland (which lets face it, is nicer than the Lakes anyway) Hadrians wall and Whin Sill which has good crags, proper castle and not a scabby ruin.
It's not perfect but I like it. Maybe a bit too insular, still too much racism (same thing I guess?) but it's improving.

Yeah, it's alright. I like it anyway.
Cheers. I'll try and loiter a bit more next time. Your comment about rivers/water rang a bell. Someone from the previous incarnations of RTTL used to live near Uldale and had to make a mercy dash in his trusty Discovery to rescue someone (daughter?) from some pretty serious flooding in Carlisle a few years ago. It looked pretty biblical. :shock:
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

Carlisle is pleasant, some good cafes and an excellent museum, Tullie House. They had an exhibition of Treacy's hats last time I was there.
Last edited by cheb on Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Pirahna wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:29 pm
Noggin wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:23 pm My bolts fall out
Get some thread lock.

My go to for medium applications is Loctite 248. Get it in the stick form, easy to apply and the stick will last for years.
I did buy a squeezy tube of it - Haven't used it yet!!! Haven't seen anything else, so might need to look on amazon.fr!! :D
demographic

Post by demographic »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:53 pm Cheers. I'll try and loiter a bit more next time. Your comment about rivers/water rang a bell. Someone from the previous incarnations of RTTL used to live near Uldale and had to make a mercy dash in his trusty Discovery to rescue someone (daughter?) from some pretty serious flooding in Carlisle a few years ago. It looked pretty biblical. :shock:
Sam in Cumbria? Think be had a Disco (Tall bloke, rode a Blackbird and IIRC lived at Bothel and a Disco would have enough space for him).
Uldale is maybe 5 or so miles as the crow flies from the hillfarm we had. Nice area, Curlews, Skylarks and so on.

Yeah, flooding on the areas marked on the old maps as area prone to flooding, anywhere with Holme,
or with Willow, Riverside, Kingfisher, and Heron in its name.

I was OK but worked on a lot of floodhouses and it wasn't nice for those caught up in it.
Plus my daughter was flooded out.
The flood defences are about 900mm higher nowadays so the problens hit further downstream faster so...erm...yay.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

demographic wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:55 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:53 pm Cheers. I'll try and loiter a bit more next time. Your comment about rivers/water rang a bell. Someone from the previous incarnations of RTTL used to live near Uldale and had to make a mercy dash in his trusty Discovery to rescue someone (daughter?) from some pretty serious flooding in Carlisle a few years ago. It looked pretty biblical. :shock:
Sam in Cumbria? Think be had a Disco (Tall bloke, rode a Blackbird and IIRC lived at Bothel and a Disco would have enough space for him).
Uldale is maybe 5 or so miles as the crow flies from the hillfarm we had. Nice area, Curlews, Skylarks and so on.

Yeah, flooding on the areas marked on the old maps as area prone to flooding, anywhere with Holme,
or with Willow, Riverside, Kingfisher, and Heron in its name.

I was OK but worked on a lot of floodhouses and it wasn't nice for those caught up in it.
Plus my daughter was flooded out.
The flood defences are about 900mm higher nowadays so the problens hit further downstream faster so...erm...yay.

Yup. He was the headmaster at a local school I think. A few of us went on Lakes trips, met up with Sam and stayed near the Snooty Fox a couple of times. We'd muster at the Lakeland Sheep Centre. That was before he got the Blackbird and had IIRC a 'golden' Fazer. I like the northern area around Bassenthwaite, it gets a bit less pressure than further south. 👍
Voltaire
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Met up in leyburn and did 120 mile dales and moors bimble
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Decided to take the wife and step Dad out for Sunday lunch and incredibly got booked into my favourite pub restaurant for Sunday Roasts and at 15:00 to boot! :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Image2022-08-28_12-27-27 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Sat near top of the xc course in Les Gets waiting for worlds to begin
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Had a 5ml walk in what I think is one of the nicest areas in the world at this time of year (it was bit 'Septemberish' this morning). A bit of it was on a track some of you may know -'Summer Lightning'. Didn't see a single bicycle! Which is odd on a BH. Must all still have been in bed. :D

Also booked a mini-holibob. Going to go and see my siblings for the first time since the plague hit. :thumbup:
Voltaire
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

MTB with the dog, had to degrass dogs bottom halfway round which was traumatising for the both of us. Stripped forks off MTB to be sent to TFTuned for a service. Now at work.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Went for a roof down drive to Sarfend on Sea!!

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Spent more than £5 on a bottle of wine! :crazy: It’s such an occasion I took an arty photo of it! :thumbup: