The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mussels

Re: The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

Post by Mussels »

Felix wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:39 pm Lost count on how many Honda cars the mate has had. Probably for the same reason as apart from service parts he was hardly putting his hand in his pocket. Now im thinking about it Honda is a car i have never owned.
It's one of the few brands I haven't tried but I did have a Rover 216 back in the day.
I did some work with Honda recently so had a good look through their range and none of it was appealing.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Are they WindowsCE ran? You could probably get them to run iGO Primo from an SD card
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Do what from a what now? :D

My statement was more aimed at the comedy low resolution and clunky interface. I'm sure was great in 2006 which was only.....mumble it, 16 years ago.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:45 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:41 pm Honda Civics are OK. You probably won't lose out when you sell it. :thumbup:
Mrs D had a Type R in the shape previous to my new one. I idly had a look at those too when perusing 'new' cars. One like hers would cost us nearly twice what we paid!

Made me all the more annoyed someone crashed into it and wrote it off.
We've considered getting an FN2 Type R as a UK runaround, they're now fairly reasonably priced and super reliable, but the suspension is very harsh and the road quality in the UK is appalling, so we decided to stick with a 4x4 or something a bit more springy.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Should have bought a 2.2 JDM Prelude or a DC5 Integra 😂
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:45 am Should have bought a 2.2 JDM Prelude or a DC5 Integra 😂
He's right you know.

Doesn't really fit with my "i need a car right now to get me through" or "don't want to spend the earth" situation.

But it's true.

On the plus side though, even this old man spec 1.8 has VTEC and revs past 7krpm. It has "the step" like my old Type R, just nothing like as pronounced :(
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Pocket change to a man of your means...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134192501540 ... media=COPY
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Its the lack of back doors which puts me off more than anything :lol:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I had a Prelude coupe back in the early days of VD. I liked it, was an epic thing.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Preludes have rear wheel steering IIRC, which is always a bit special.

I did actually consider a new/nearly new Civic Type R. They look nuts, either love it or hate it. But realistically this is a head decision not a heart one :D

So I went the other way and got a cheapo pensioner's car.
David

Post by David »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:01 am Its the lack of back doors which puts me off more than anything :lol:
It has two......that's enuff.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:04 am Preludes have rear wheel steering IIRC, which is always a bit special.

I did actually consider a new/nearly new Civic Type R. They look nuts, either love it or hate it. But realistically this is a head decision not a heart one :D

So I went the other way and got a cheapo pensioner's car.
Mrs Potter did as well, she's always had a soft spot for them and we had two FN2s.

But the new one is lairy, we had a look at it and I asked her if she'd feel ok as a 50yr old woman driving one of those around, and she said "No I'd look a twat", so they're off the table.

On a similar note I saw a lovely limited edition Type R JDM Impreza for sale on FB, blue with gold wheels, the boy in me really wants one but I'd look a proper charlie in it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've been poking around the Civic a bit...when I bought it everything except the AC worked, which I thought was pretty good for a £1500 16 year old car. Even the voice activated Twat Nag works! It doesn't know my road exists, but it works.

The AC doesn't blow cold, the seller said "just needs a regas" which IME is generally bollox. I consider AC to be a bonus on a car like this though, so I didn't worry about it too much.

That said, I did take it for a cheeky regas yesterday. Nothing :lol: They didn't charge me though, they just took all their gas back.

I've since discovered how to do all the AC sensor diagnostics on this car by pushing various combinations of dash buttons. Every sensor is showing a sensible value. I've also since discovered that this car had a known control relay fault which Honda did a recall on...so now I've bought a 5 quid relay on eBay to fix it.

Even when I get this relay it won't fix the problem, the AC system now has zero gas in it so the pressure sensors will keep the system shut down :lol:

Honestly....I have no real idea why I'm embarking on this quest to fix the AC. I guess I'm just amused by having a shit wagon which 100% works.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Won't hurt the price when you sell it if the AC works. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Doubt I'll ever sell it TBH.

My other car is though the employee scheme and has very strict return condition requirements. The scheme lasts 12-18 months and then the cars go into the approved used network and I get another new one.

I'll keep the Honda until it dies for going to the tip and the like!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Never liked Jap cars. Not really sure why, just don’t like them. Mates son has a type R which he absolutely loves and was so proud to show me it. Whilst I pretended to share his enthusiasm I was. Actually taken aback by the ridiculous dash board which was a sort of wrap round affair with more lights than a fruit machine. Hideous, but to each their own all that..,
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Can't say I especially like this Honda...but I very much like the way Honda build cars (and bikes TBF). They're really well screwed together IMO. Boring in every sense, not even character building breakdowns (touch wood ;) )

I'd still love an NSX though :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:32 am Boring in every sense, not even character building breakdowns (touch wood ;) )

I'd still love an NSX though :D
Well, apart from air con in a heatwave
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I drove with the windows open for the first time in about 10 years yesterday.

T'was fair nostalgic it was.

If I'd been the passenger I'd totally have done that thing where you stick your arm in the wind and "fly" it.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:06 am I've also since discovered that this car had a known control relay fault which Honda did a recall on...so now I've bought a 5 quid relay on eBay to fix it
If it's not that it'll be the other common fault whereas the compressor clutch looses some magnetism so can't engage the outer plate.
Easy to diagnose, start up the car, have someone turn on the air con whilst you watch the clutch plate, if it engages go back to start do not collect £200 and look for another fault.
If it doesn't engage, give it a gentle prod with a screwdriver*, if that causes it to engage it's the magnets, simple fix is to reduce the size of the spacer shims so they are closer to begin with.

*Carefully, your pissing about around the serpentine belt which will pull your fingers / face off.

Had it happen to my 8g, bought the shims but never really cared enough to spend the time doing the job.

https://www.civinfo.com/forums/