Small things that make you smile each day

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
MrLongbeard

Re: Small things that make you smile each day

Post by MrLongbeard »

Today I actually smiled when I got an insurance auto renewal through.

It's not mine, it's for the daughter But from £1300 in her first year to £650 in her second, I'll take it.
melons

Post by melons »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:27 pm Today I actually smiled when I got an insurance auto renewal through.

It's not mine, it's for the daughter But from £1300 in her first year to £650 in her second, I'll take it.
It's obviously time to buy her that Mercedes that she's always wanted
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

melons wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:33 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:27 pm Today I actually smiled when I got an insurance auto renewal through.

It's obviously time to buy her that Mercedes that she's always wanted
She can keep the BM for now.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Do you remember as a child,walking on a windy day? Hanging onto your ma and da's hands with the wind almost taking your breath away. Then when the wind is behind it shoves you so hard your little legs are running on the rev limiter trying to keep from falling over,all the while laughing like a loon.

Those were memories conjured by my walk today. Smile-worthy.

Part of the path even rolled out the red carpet for me. 8-)

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

We took Baby Dazzle up to Ivinghoe Beacon today. As the name implies it's at the top of a hill with clear views to the horizon in every direction....t'was a bit windy up there too!

She was half loving it and half afraid. In the end she had to "wear her daddy coat" as she phrased it. I.e. I had to pick her up and hug her close :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:21 pm We took Baby Dazzle up to Ivinghoe Beacon today. As the name implies it's at the top of a hill with clear views to the horizon in every direction....t'was a bit windy up there too!

She was half loving it and half afraid. In the end she had to "wear her daddy coat" as she phrased it. I.e. I had to pick her up and hug her close :D
As cunning a ruse for a hug,as ever I've heard. :)
Walt Whitman
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Skub wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:15 pm Do you remember as a child,walking on a windy day? Hanging onto your ma and da's hands with the wind almost taking your breath away. Then when the wind is behind it shoves you so hard your little legs are running on the rev limiter trying to keep from falling over,all the while laughing like a loon.
I was on holiday with my Parents and Grand Parents in a 6 Berth static caravan in St Agnes, Cornwall in in August 1979 (I was 10). One night the caravan was nearly torn off its stand by the wind. Nobody slept too well and early doors my old man dragged me out of bed and to the beach at West Pentire. My God, I have never seen the sea so huge, the ground was reverberating as the waves rolled in, Goose rock in the middle of Crantock bay had clear blue water coming over it, even high on the cliffs the sea spray was soaking us. It was only when we got back that we found out it was Fastnet Boat Race disaster.

This sounds a bit lame but that day a bit of me was lost to the sea.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
melons

Post by melons »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:33 pm It was only when we got back that we found out it was Fastnet Boat Race disaster.

I spent that night in a 2 man canvas Vango Force 10 tent (aptly named) in a crowded Devon cliff top camping site, quite a way from the worst of the storm but when I woke up me and my sleeping mat were floating and my tent was one of only half a dozen tents still standing
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Skub wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:15 pm Do you remember as a child,walking on a windy day? Hanging onto your ma and da's hands with the wind almost taking your breath away. Then when the wind is behind it shoves you so hard your little legs are running on the rev limiter trying to keep from falling over,all the while laughing like a loon.

Always loved that coastline and further north around to the Causeway Coast. If I had the time I'd drive round that way rather than the usual, direct route. We have a great coastline here but no coast road which is a shame.

Wondering now if I'll ever get back to Ballintoy to sit on the rocks and just watch the Atlantic doing it's thing and then a cuppa in the cafe.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Where exactly is that? Glenarm / Carnlough /Cushendun?

And speaking of Ballintoy - we'll be there in an hour, if anybody's passing. 😎
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Wossname wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:22 am

I'm jealous, one of my most favourite places in this world. Enjoy your run out!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Wossname wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:22 am
Where exactly is that? Glenarm / Carnlough /Cushendun?

The Blackhead path,recently reopened after about 18 months construction due to rock falls and sea damage. My back yard!
Last edited by Skub on Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walt Whitman
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yambo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:39 am
Always loved that coastline and further north around to the Causeway Coast. If I had the time I'd drive round that way rather than the usual, direct route. We have a great coastline here but no coast road which is a shame.

Wondering now if I'll ever get back to Ballintoy to sit on the rocks and just watch the Atlantic doing it's thing and then a cuppa in the cafe.
I love that road early in the morning,before it gets busy. Great biking road and loads of places to stop and reflect. I find I do that more now on the Zed,whereas before,it was my own personal racetrack!

If you want to man,you'll be back sometime. 8-)
Walt Whitman
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Carlsberg don't do big brothers......

Most 8yo don't really take to babies, but my Abbey is absolutely devoted to his baby sister.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
melons

Post by melons »

Donald Trump has taken time out of his busy schedule to personally write me an email, ain't Americans great
Screenshot (55).png
Screenshot (55).png (333.74 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Ludovico Einaudi.

If you have Spotify or Deezer, have a listen to his music. Utterly beautiful and totally calming. I have a 'chill out' playlist with loads of his music that I listen to to just sit and relax.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:04 am Ludovico Einaudi.

If you have Spotify
Have a search for Wyndham Hill
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

2 yes TWO wins on the premium bonds this month. Sadly they were only £25 but £50 is £50 :)
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Early this morning I head off to a house at the top of the village, local Scottish woman has bought two facing houses to do them up and rent them out, offered to donate two of the beds with mattresses plus 3 other mattresses and blankets to the dog shelter I volunteer for so I'm just checking if they'll fit in the car once disassembled. The house I'm in is bleak, loads of land and loads of potential but it reminds me of my grandparent's house in Ireland 35 years ago, I wouldn't want to live there in its present state. But as an investment, she paid less than £5k for it and with some basic improvements, a facelift and some work transforming the garden, it wiil be a cracker of a house.

Popped to the shop on my way home, passed a group of kids, as usual big smiles on their faces as they greet you Добър ден (good day). The kids here seem to be permanently happy, very respectful of adults and incredibly carefree. The 'don't talk to strangers' thing doesn't exist here, as a male coming here from the UK that takes some getting used to until you get past that strange social stigma that you've become accustomed to in the UK.

Popped to my local shop this evening, two old boys in front of me at the till, 2 carrots, one lettuce and a carrier bag full of beer bottles each. They're in fine spirits, they leave and the bloke behind the counter and myself spontaneously laugh at the two old blokes, their mood is contagious.
I leave the shop, the two old blokes have bumped in to two more old blokes, greetings, handshakes, loud laughs and the bags of beers that were meant for home are now on one of the tables outside, they don't really need an excuse :D As I walk past they greet me with big smiles and 'Добър вечер!' (good evening). I carry on home, big smile on my face.

I truly love this country and its people. Even when they're moaning, they're happy. :D They don't care if their housese aren't up to western European standards, they spend 9 months of the year in their gardens - a house is just a pile of assembled bricks with a roof to keep them warm and dry between January and early March, and pretty much everyone owns one (or two, or three). They don't have modern cars, they don't have conservatories, they don't have the latest smartphones or games consoles, they don't have care homes to dump the elderly, because family is everything here. It's the poorest country in the EU, and there's no getting away from the fact that poverty is rife here, yet still the smiles I see every day tell me that western Europe, with all its riches, is far poorer. My only regret is that I didn't move here sooner.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Hoonercat wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:57 pm Even when they're moaning, they're happy. :D They don't care if their housese aren't up to western European standards, they spend 9 months of the year in their gardens - a house is just a pile of assembled bricks with a roof to keep them warm and dry
Liverpool? :think:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!