where do you get your Guzzi serviced in Manchester?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Dutchman

where do you get your Guzzi serviced in Manchester?

Post by Dutchman »

Shoulda been a PM I know! But others may know too or benefit...

Bought my Cali from the Rocket Centre in Blackburn but that's gone now. Any Guzzi friendly places in Manchester or surrounding these days?

Used to go to Moto Strada in Shipley years ago but I believe they only sell custom jobs now, don't service.

Alternatively what are the best independent Manchester bike service places these days?

Cheers! :)
GuzziPaul

Re: where do you get your Guzzi serviced in Manchester?

Post by GuzziPaul »

What year is it? Guzzis must be one of the easiest bikes there is to service yourself.
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

It's a 2014. At the moment just needs the rear brake caliper servicing - pads, seals changed, and master cyl checked and serviced if necessary. So prob something any garage can do but prefer a Guzzi trained person if there is one know in the North West.

And ideally would be good to find a good 'un in the longer term.

Reason for the brake service is that the rear brake was binding then jammed on (red hot) so I suspect either return to master cyl isn't going as it should or the caliper seals got messed up with road salt. But anyway, given that it's all been roasted I think I's best get it all serviced.

No facilities for home servicing at the mo unfortunately. Got one of those steel boxes rather than a garage, and no way to raise bike to get wheel out etc etc..

Cheers
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Its a bit new for me but get yourself a copy of Guzziology https://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/ ... esc#topbar

As your not allowed out now you could easily do it yourself.

If your bike has a centre stand put it on a lump of wood to get the rear wheel a bit higher. However there is no need to take the wheel out to get the back brake off its only likely to be held on by a couple of bolts. It's more than likely the one of the calipers is stuck.

You could totally remove the caliper so you could do it in your house (which would mean clamping the hose or leave the hose attached and work with it attached.
Either way unbolt it and take the pads out, new ones needed as they will be fried. See if you can pump the pads out. If one is stuck you will need to hold the moving on back. Use a G clamp. The siezed on can be forced back with the G clamp as well.
Caliper repair kits are available from Gutsibits.
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

Cheers may give it a go!
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

PM sent.
I also meant to include a link to http://www.guzziriders.org/ where I am also a member. Plenty of useful advice on there and there might even be someone local who could help.

Just found this
http://www.guzziriders.org/rear-brake-i ... rake#75876 which might be helpful
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

Do Guzzi's keep working long enough to need a service?
Although going by the list above of what it needs - obviously not :mrgreen:
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

PitaNaanRoti wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:15 am Do Guzzi's keep working long enough to need a service?
Although going by the list above of what it needs - obviously not :mrgreen:
Well it's done ok for the last 20000 miles, 2 trips round europe, year round commuting ;)
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

42000 miles and 43 years old for mine. Last year did 930 to Le Mans and back over three days. They are simple and easy to fix. I've had the engine out and replaced the clucth inabout 8 hours and then rode to the south of France, or replaced a head gasket it an hour.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Have you done it yet? I've decided as I'm not riding, I'll get the Le Mans up on the bench and change the brake fluid. I havn't done it since I put braided lines on a couple of years ago. I've order some fluid from Amazon but it won't be here for a week. Also thinking what else I can do. Its not due an oil change for 900 miles.
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

Hi Paul. No still waiting for the brake pads from Gutsibits. Suspect coronavirus is slowing things down a bit.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Brake fluid arrived yesterday from Amazon and £2 cheaper than Halfords down the road, which I can't go to.
Going to give the brakes a clean as well. My front right disk warped last year, the first disk on any bike I had had warp in 40+ years. And on the last couple of rides I've had a couple of squeals when using the brake at low speed. I'm wondering if i have a caliper piston sticking as well.
Got the bike up on the bench last night and I'll spend the next few weeks of isolation servicing the brakes.
bench small.jpg
bench small.jpg (97.8 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

Pads arrived so, weather permitting, I'm going to pull the old ones out of mine, try and clean up the caliper. If it doesn't look too bad I will try just sticking new pads in without replacing the piston seals. I've read that if the pads get too worn down thin it can cause the pitons to come out too far, causing them to stick. So I'm hoping new (thick) pads will remedy that. Old ones out, clean up, push pistons back, new ones in...

Here's hoping it doesn't rain.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

On the right hand caliper I'm going to take the pads out, pump the pistons out a bit and pull the piston rubbers of and give it a clean as thats the one I suspect is possibly sticking.