New Bike

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Couchy

Re: New Bike

Post by Couchy »

Standard tyres are 100/90-18 and 130/70-18. The front is a shallow profile and had already been right to the edge on the road whereas the rear hadn't. Not what I like tbh. They were also a bit wooden feeling so I checked the rim sizes and found some of my preferred roadsmart III's in a 140/70 rear and a 110/80 front. Fitted today and went for a spin. Never felt a set of tyres transform a bike so much, turns quicker and loads more feel especially the front. Only did 6 miles or so but scrubbed the rear in to within a couple mm of the edge and the front still has 6mm or so left so perfect. The profile of the front is quite a bit steeper so felt good on the edge. But I've got +20mm shocks and the forks were through 10mm to get some feel and along with the taller tyre it now showed a bit of instability at 'high' speed. A quick visit to the garage and the forks are now flush and I took a bit of preload out the shocks. All seems well now, Cadwell here we come :)

Also ordered a 2 into 1 exhaust which is 12, yes 12kg lighter than the standard pair and adds 12% more power in the midrange, should be here tomorrow
YoKaiser

Post by YoKaiser »

Good stuff, it's a bike I've been particularly drawn too and I can see me getting one at some point.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

YoKaiser wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:37 am Good stuff, it's a bike I've been particularly drawn too and I can see me getting one at some point.
Have to admit it's one I'm really enjoying as the improvements are noticeable each time and it's fun tinkering with it too. Yes it's slow but the engine feels great tbh
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Exhaust done sounds lovely, makes it look like a shorter subframe would work well now

ImageUntitled by Tony H, on Flickr
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Took a ride with the new exhaust, more power everywhere and now hits the limiter in top !. Weight loss is noticeable even getting it off side stand but it is 12kg lighter. Dropped nearly 20kg now and the exhaust and filter are meant to add a few hp at top end and 10 in the middle and it certainly feels that way 😁🏆
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Harry wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:16 pm
Couchy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:40 pm Exhaust done sounds lovely, makes it look like a shorter subframe would work well now

There is definitely room to do something with that back end, but it would probably involve a hacksaw and you wouldn't be able to reverse it.
On that basis I'd personally probably not bother and just ride it for what it is - but I suppose it depends on whether you plan to keep it or sell it on once you've reached a point where you feel like you can't do any more to it.
TBH I’m just gonna use it now, Cadwell pearl tomorrow which will be fun, also got my CB500X with me too 👍
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

They look ok with the single race seat...

Couchy

Post by Couchy »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:20 pm They look ok with the single race seat...

I've got one and in the flesh it looks rubbish tbh :(
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

So cadwell park, I took the enfield and my CB500X and my bro took his CB500X. It was a road bike only day which are a slower pace which is a good thing when you only have 47hp to play with.
I was unsure what to expect but 7 sessions later I've had one of the best zero pressure trackdays ever. The enfield was superb, handling was great and the engine has a lot of drive albeit no power or top end. Managed to find plenty of space and the only people to overtake all day were my bro and a zx6r. Managed some fairly big wheelies over the mountain which was nice although had to slow and use 2nd not 3rd that was faster. Only downside brakes were a bit wooden so will look into that. Also took the CB out which was funny, much better than the enfield on the brakes but no midrange at all and 5-10mph slower on the straights. Somehow managed to scrape a 2 min lap which although no one cares was a target for the bikes. But the enfield ran great all day so no complaints :clap:

Horse

Post by Horse »

Couchy wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:12 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:20 pm They look ok with the single race seat...

I've got one and in the flesh it looks rubbish tbh :(
Not sure that couchy wants to go with the single seat image ;)

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

If ever a rider were in completely the wrong group.

I know it's a slow bike mate, but that was silly
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

weeksy wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:23 pm If ever a rider were in completely the wrong group.

I know it's a slow bike mate, but that was silly
Far from it, move up a group to people that can open a throttle and they would be doing 155 where I'm doing 95. A 60mph closing speed is far more dangerous especially if some of them are slip streaming and don't see me. There would also be no braking or cornering advantage for the little bike so it would just be a mobile chicane. Far better for me knowing I'm on a slow bike to be in control of where I pass instead of someone on a fast bike who has no idea there could be a bike going 60mph slower on a straight
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couchy wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:55 pm
Makes you wonder if some of them ever passed their test :mrgreen:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Yorick wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:26 pm
Some people are steady and slow that I get but some of them were a liability with 200hp, I've no idea how they made it to the track as they were slow but dangerous lol
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:26 pm
Until Mod 1 came in, with cornering & swerve tests, DVSA saw no reason to have riders trained to go around bends.

In their post-test training DVD, the suggested 'fix' for running wide in a bend was 'go slower next time' :eh: :crazy: :thumbdown: :x
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

It was certainly an eye opener, there was an R1 that flew down the straights and took a different line each lap, there’s only a few corners but still the brake light would come on mid corner. Why ask your tyres to brake and corner when a couple more degrees lean will solve the issue ?. Still he looked cool with the cameras on and race stickers and I’m sure the footage of an Enfield overtaking him will be deleted before anyone sees it. Plenty were slow predictable and safe but some had no idea how bad they are
Horse

Post by Horse »

Couchy wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:16 pm It was certainly an eye opener, there was an R1 that flew down the straights and took a different line each lap, there’s only a few corners but still the brake light would come on mid corner. Why ask your tyres to brake and corner when a couple more degrees lean will solve the issue ?. Still he looked cool with the cameras on and race stickers and I’m sure the footage of an Enfield overtaking him will be deleted before anyone sees it. Plenty were slow predictable and safe but some had no idea how bad they are
Don't get me wrong, I'm no track demon (probably not helped by leaving panniers on whenever I've taken one of my barges on a track), but the basics of road riding will get you around a track, even if not as a quick rider.

Sadly, as many trainers would confirm, many riders would prefer to add 'performance' parts than get the basic skills in place. Possibly they don't even realise how much easier life can be.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Fantastic video @Couchy ...Great to see the 'alternative bike' stealing the show on track. Plenty of chat in paddock i would imagine. Proper fun. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:10 am Fantastic video @Couchy ...Great to see the 'alternative bike' stealing the show on track. Plenty of chat in paddock i would imagine. Proper fun. 👍
Not one of the 40 or so I passed came and had a look or made a comment lol