Pembrey August 22nd / 23rd with Phil Bevan Trackdays,, forum EXTRAVAGANZA !!!!

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Pembrey August 22nd / 23rd with Phil Bevan Trackdays,, forum EXTRAVAGANZA !!!!

Post by weeksy »

One thing i would like though is feedback on format.

Both for me and Alan/PBTD

1. Do you prefer 1x20 and £150 instead of 1x34 and £110.
2. Would you pay £165 for example for 1x20 riders AND garages
3. What would improve your trackday experience ? Whatever that is, would you pay extra for it ?

Don't forget, some of the things are COV19 related and we/he can't do a lot about them, so factor that into any answer.

Do you prefer hotel Fri/Sat or prefer camping on one/both ?
Dodgy69

Re: Pembrey August 22nd / 23rd with Phil Bevan Trackdays,, forum EXTRAVAGANZA !!!!

Post by Dodgy69 »

Sorry vids are a bit crappy.. I did record last two sessions, 4 in total but operator error and I turned it off instead of on. 🤦‍♂️ It had dried up so footage would probably have been better.

Last one. Not sure who's on it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1EKSNNJXWWPVabCE6
Yamaha rocket 3
G.P

Post by G.P »

OK here's my 2p

I think that given its an annual thing, I'm happy to pay more for a smaller group, there did feel like there was a lot more space in the Inters group on Saturday.
However, looking at the Novices, they looked to be really bunched up for a few laps after yellows even on the low number? Something I think that could easily be sorted if they put the slower people at the back in the assembly area (I'm sure they'd be grateful for it too). What do the guys in Novice think?

I'd also happily pay more for a garage so we can be weatherproof and make a brew on the shitty days.

Camping on Saturday night is favourite so me because its such a great vibe post TD and being in the Paddock. Its also nie to see families turn up.
Happy to do the Friday night in the Hotel and go for a curry though.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

G.P wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:37 pm However, looking at the Novices, they looked to be really bunched up for a few laps after yellows even on the low number? Something I think that could easily be sorted if they put the slower people at the back in the assembly area (I'm sure they'd be grateful for it too).
This is easily sorted, if you think you're slow for you group, wait until everyone else has gone out and then go.
Though I did a No Limits track day at Snetterton last year and the fast novices were lapping the slow novices by the end of 3 sighting laps, and those of us who went out first were doing the sighting laps at a normal sighting lap pace, so the fast people in novice were wanting to overtake the slow people while they were still on their last sighting lap - not a good situation.

With hindsight those of us at the fast end of novice should have been in Inters, though most of us were on 30 to 40 year old bikes.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:50 pm
G.P wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:37 pm However, looking at the Novices, they looked to be really bunched up for a few laps after yellows even on the low number? Something I think that could easily be sorted if they put the slower people at the back in the assembly area (I'm sure they'd be grateful for it too).
This is easily sorted, if you think you're slow for you group, wait until everyone else has gone out and then go.
Though I did a No Limits track day at Snetterton last year and the fast novices were lapping the slow novices by the end of 3 sighting laps, and those of us who went out first were doing the sighting laps at a normal sighting lap pace, so the fast people in novice were wanting to overtake the slow people while they were still on their last sighting lap - not a good situation.

With hindsight those of us at the fast end of novice should have been in Inters, though most of us were on 30 to 40 year old bikes.
The issue with that logic is that Pembrey is REALLY short... so if you let out people even every 5s intervals, by the time you've send out 20 people, the fast ones at the front are coming round to catch the ones coming out at the back... it's a proper proper tough one to get right on a circuit like Pembrey. The faster novices will be coming round every 1mins 20.
G.P

Post by G.P »

weeksy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:53 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:50 pm

The issue with that logic is that Pembrey is REALLY short... so if you let out people even every 5s intervals, by the time you've send out 20 people, the fast ones at the front are coming round to catch the ones coming out at the back... it's a proper proper tough one to get right on a circuit like Pembrey. The faster novices will be coming round every 1mins 20.
Yeah, understood but its not just a question of intervals, its getting the absolute beginners NOT to queue at the front. The guy on the GPZ500 on Saturday was a classic example. Of course you're going to get novices lapping novices but at least it would prevent such a bunch up when the yellows come down.
IanB

Post by IanB »

weeksy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:03 pm One thing i would like though is feedback on format.

3. What would improve your trackday experience ? Whatever that is, would you pay extra for it ?

Don't forget, some of the things are COV19 related and we/he can't do a lot about them, so factor that into any answer.

Firstly thanks to Weeksy for once again organising a cracking weekend, it was great to see some familiar faces & meet a couple of new ones.

Steve from my perspective:

1. yes

2. probably but not that fussed about having a garage. I'm sure you can check my tyre pressures in the paddock in the fresh air ... :lol:

3. for me the main problem that needs addressing is the really slow riders in the Novice Group who tend to get beaten up every session by faster riders. As there is usually just one or two of them the answer seems very obvious to me - identify them (very apparent after the first session) & then allocate them an instructor to chaperone them around for each session. The sight of the instructor in high vis will alert everyone who comes to overtake. Its not like the instructors are busy!

I'm convinced this will help a slower rider & allow them to enjoy their track day experience much more that that poor chap on the GPz 500 who was mobbed at every corner on Saturday & went home early.

Cheers I
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yep, smaller groups are better. I think novice will always be the problem group, for some it's first time on track. Gpz man was slow, but we can see well ahead, just a matter of caution on approach. He was a big lad and maybe a bigger bike would of helped him. 🤷‍♂️

The camping weekend is great in nice weather, but this weekend I was glad we had the hotel with adjoining pub. 🍻 I do get the casual affair of camping with beers and bbq though.

Would garages split us up a bit ? Mingling is good.

Whatever happens it'll be good fun. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

As usual a bit late to the party as bike training all day ....... knackered before i even started this morning and really should have booked today off but hey ho ...... had some other bike stuff i had agreed to a few weeks ago to do with one on one training without forward planning so on the go from about 7 am till 9 pm tonight. My training doesnt usually exceed 65 mph but we hit the dizzy heights of 70 mph tonight .....bit different from the weekend :)

Thanks for all the positive stuff on my efforts for the weekend and i really enjoyed the experience and the company. I make the trip every year for the social and the get together to catch up with you all and have a laugh, this year i joined in properly for the first time but as you can see from the video Paul took it looked slow despite how fast it felt at the time to me. Cheers mate for the time you took to follow me round and film it for the session :thumbup:

As for improving things i liked the size of the group but i get how Novice is an issue. I wasnt the fastest or the slowest in the group but the big lad on the GPZ500 on full wets even i could lap 2-3 times in a 20 minute session. There were 3 guys in the group that were not just Inters but Fast/Inters and i didnt have any issue with them as all their passes were clean and gave plenty of room but i did see at least 1 of them moved to inters but he was on a full Desmo race bike

Someone raised having an instructor as a chaperone for a slower rider but this also created an issue in the mid afternoon session as it was the only one an instructor came out in the Novices all day. He was following one of the girls round and looking at her riding but also moved out to protect her which caused a tail back as nobody could find space to pass them both as we all lacked track experience apart from the 3 fast guys who managed to pick through easily. Once he moved past her and tapped the back of the bike for a "follow me" we all managed to pass her within a lap without drama. I get why he did what he did but it caused an unnecessary grouping and a little frustration as several riders had to slow down and wait right when they wanted to progress more mid session

I deliberately started my first 2 sessions at the back of the group in assembly to see how things were and find my pace, after that i wasnt bothered and took my place in the line where ever it happened to be which wasnt an issue due to the small group size

If the weather is shit garages make a huge difference from my paddock experience at race meetings over the years as there is room to get warm and dry out rather than huddling in vans and awnings and also having electricity rather than gennies

I enjoy the camping thing as its more relaxed than the current Covid stuff as we could decide when and where we eat and drink rather than being limited by the hotel rules but this weekend worked really well given the circumstances.The paddock camping and cooking generally makes it a more sociable atmosphere as people outside our lot tend to drift over and join in as well. I always sleep fairly bad away from home so even the comfy bed didnt help improve it but it was more comfort than a kip mat and sleeping bag
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

G.P

Post by G.P »

weeksy wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:25 am http://www.edpphoto.com/bevan19/PhilBev ... index.html

Pics are up
Some good ones in there but EDP are as unimaginative as ever.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

weeksy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:03 pm One thing i would like though is feedback on format.

Hello everyone. Enjoyed Saturday and seeing the gang. Think the girls enjoyed their day out at the country park next door as well so all good.

In answer to the questions,
1) Yes preferred the 20 people per group size. Pembrey is not the easiest track to overtake people on as there's little in the way of straights and you either have to brake late on the entry to the right hander onto the start/finish or into the hairpin at the end to make the cleanest overtake. Else you are invariably having to do it on the inside and outside of a corner which can be a bit harsh on the one being overtaken. I got someone come up the outside of me leaving the kink and there was a fag paper between us as i was on the exit line and he was nearly on the grass.
2) paying for garages seems to be a new thing. I had to 'donate' at Donny on a FE day for a garage space. but was glad i did as it was red hot and needed the shade. I do think for this event though the large group size and mingling is great and a garage would hamper that.
3) I quite like the new 'Covid' Online briefings and 'check-in' that the TDOs are forced to do at the moment and would hope that they remain after the social distancing restrictions are no more. We've all got used to checking in at the airport etc on line.

I think if you've done a MSV track this summer you would have watched the online briefing and if you were a novice the ability to watch these at a slower pace or repeat the video is great.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Jazzy wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:48 pm I had to 'donate' at Donny on a FE day for a garage space.
Robbing bastards.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Yorick wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:01 pm Robbing bastards.
That sums FE up (IME)
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:48 pm
That sums FE up (IME)
I worked for them 13 years. I saw a few things.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:48 pm
That sums FE up (IME)
Really? What makes you say that?

Genuinely interested in your answer- I am absolutely not a fan of the big man, and admittedly haven't been on an FE event for a couple of years, but I do have experience of him both from his racing days and much more recently as one of his customers- I think he's an odious oik but one thing I think he has managed to do is drive the price of TDs down for the punter
Le_Fromage_Grande

I've only been on one FE track day, I think it was in 2003, but might have been in 2004, it was at Donington, the organisers had zero interest in any new customers and only wanted to chat with his friends, I was in Novice group, had a bloke on a GSXR1000 wheelie up the inside of me coming out of the bend that comes out of the Melbourne loop onto the start finish straight, so this chap is wheelieing between me and the pit wall and moving out towards me quite hard so I had to brake, I moaned to the organiser and was basically told to piss off it wasn't a problem, I wasn't the only person in novice to complain, a young woman on an RVF400 complained about the GSXR guys wheelies and about being cut up in the corners and got the same response as I did.

It pissed me off enough that I've never booked with FE again, and never will, if it had been my first track day I seriously doubt if I'd have done another one.
At the time I was doing lots of track days with Track Time Promotions and Hot Trax, both of whom gave good customer service and a really friendly atmosphere, I now use No Limits, MSV and Classic Bike Track Days and am happy with all of them.
Honda Owner
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

weeksy wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:25 am http://www.edpphoto.com/bevan19/PhilBev ... index.html

Pics are up
I dont think i could have looked more upright if i tried but i guess the bike choice makes that more apparent :D

Some good pics in 2nd Gallery of a few of us together :thumbup:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:13 pm

Pics are up
I dont think i could have looked more upright if i tried but i guess the bike choice makes that more apparent :D

Some good pics in 2nd Gallery of a few of us together :thumbup:
Did you take Woodlands flat stick ?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

On a more serious note @Bigyin , after dragging us out of gravel traps for many years, did finally getting on track show you just how fast the top lads are ?